AZ ranch

/ AZ ranch
I made 3 trips to the quarry this weekend (110 mile roundtrip). Spread one load at the top end of the drive, right in front of the trailer. Another load went down towards the other end. I'd say I'm about 50% done with covering my 1/4 mile drive. When I get finished, it will be time to start over again. :laughing:

Attachments

• Ranch weekend 7 29 11 005.jpg
    Ranch weekend 7 29 11 005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 344
  • Ranch weekend 7 29 11 007.jpg
    Ranch weekend 7 29 11 007.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 294
   / AZ ranch
I got out just in time today. The clouds were rolling in and I made a run for it. By the time I got to the paved road it was coming down in buckets. The paved road was flooded in several areas. If I had waited about 30 minutes before heading out, I would be spending another day there, as there is no way the dirt roads were passable by then. :D

Attachments

• Ranch weekend 7 29 11 032.jpg
    Ranch weekend 7 29 11 032.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 281
   / AZ ranch
Hi Bo,
24" is plenty from a frost perspective up at the Ranch. Our average frost depth is only about 6". All of the piers for our cabin and porch and shed are around 2 - 2-1/2 ft deep. They haven't moved in the 7 or 8 years they have been in place. My water lines are 1-1/2' to 2' deep, and have never frozen.
Your place is looking good. I wish I could move as fast as you are.
Randy

Sometimes I think things are moving SOO slowly, but then I stop and think that we just bought the land 5 months ago, so we're moving along okay.

That said, I got my plans back from the draftsman and sent them to a structural engineer. He responded by saying I need a soils test. So now I'm waiting on a soils engineer to do his thing. Patience, patience. ;)

/ AZ ranch #124  
I have been reading Obed's thread on building his house and it is awesome. I am totally amazed at what I have learned on this forum in the few short weeks I have been on it. I'm going to do a little thread on my own so I can get some of this fantastic advice, and hopefully cut back on some of the mistakes I'm likely to make on my own.
Several months ago we started looking for a place to build a vacation/retirement cabin. A month ago we closed on 40 acres in Northern AZ just south of I-40, near Seligman. I'm 61 and not a contracter (actually an accountant), but I'm going to try and do as much as I can myself. If I finish it in less than 3 years I will be extremely happy.
Here is a picture of the view from one corner of the ranch.
BoFuller,:)
Just found this thread. Hope to enjoy it in the next few days.:D You have picked a beautiful spot to retire.:thumbsup:
hugs, Brandi

/ AZ ranch
BoFuller,:)
Just found this thread. Hope to enjoy it in the next few days.:D You have picked a beautiful spot to retire.:thumbsup:
hugs, Brandi

Thanks, we sure love it. :thumbsup:

/ AZ ranch
I had a company bring in a load of gravel for a base for part of my drive. I was leading him down the backroads when he asked me about a shortcut. I told him it was too steep for his rig, but I guess he took that as a dare, as he turned off and tried it. Needless to say, he couldn't make it, and it was too dangerous to back down. After about 5 hours, we finally located a large Wheel Loader (Cat 966) that was able to pull him up.

Attachments

• Ranch weekend 8 18 11 001.jpg
    Ranch weekend 8 18 11 001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 492
  • Ranch weekend 8 18 11 006.jpg
    Ranch weekend 8 18 11 006.jpg
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 407
   / AZ ranch
My neighbor brought over his grader and told me I could use it to make some ditches along my drive. Not only did it do a great job, but it was also way too much fun! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Ranch weekend 8 18 11 014.jpg
    Ranch weekend 8 18 11 014.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 488
  • Ranch weekend 8 18 11 021.jpg
    Ranch weekend 8 18 11 021.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 541
   / AZ ranch #129  
My neighbor brought over his grader and told me I could use it to make some ditches along my drive. Not only did it do a great job, but it was also way too much fun! :thumbsup:

Bo-

Now thats some great neighbors!!

Just found your thread, great read! You're doing a great job documenting each step, along with great pics. I look forward to following it.
Also jealous on the dump truck....:thumbsup:

/ AZ ranch #130  
Those are some amazingly clear pics. The sky looks like "picture perfect" weather....pun intended. What model is that camera?

Prolly not too many dialup folks will want to open them though.