AZ ranch

/ AZ ranch #1  

BoFuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kubota L3400
I have been reading Obed's thread on building his house and it is awesome. I am totally amazed at what I have learned on this forum in the few short weeks I have been on it. I'm going to do a little thread on my own so I can get some of this fantastic advice, and hopefully cut back on some of the mistakes I'm likely to make on my own.
Several months ago we started looking for a place to build a vacation/retirement cabin. A month ago we closed on 40 acres in Northern AZ just south of I-40, near Seligman. I'm 61 and not a contracter (actually an accountant), but I'm going to try and do as much as I can myself. If I finish it in less than 3 years I will be extremely happy.
Here is a picture of the view from one corner of the ranch.

Attachments

• First trip to our ranch near Seligman 011.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 011.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,215
   / AZ ranch #2  
Very nice! I'll look forward to your posts...and many pictures!

/ AZ ranch
First thing I did was have a septic tank installed (after buying my tractor of course).

Attachments

• First trip to our ranch near Seligman 040.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 040.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,655
  • First trip to our ranch near Seligman 042.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 042.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,383
   / AZ ranch
I just read the thread on ranch vs. farm. I really don't care what you want to call it. I grew up on a farm in Ohio, but out here in Arizona it seems that everyone calls them ranches. I just know that I bought it and it's my future home, whether it's a farm, or a ranch, or a 40 acre parcel.

/ AZ ranch
And we bought a 25 ft trailer to live in when we're up there working. It will probably be a long weekend every other week except for Nov through Feb when it's too cold and snowy. Elevation is from 5800 to 6200 feet. I say every other weekend because it's 220 miles away from Mesa and takes about 4 hours to get there.

Attachments

• First trip to our ranch near Seligman 057.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 057.jpg
    959.7 KB · Views: 1,183
  • First official trip to Seligman 005.jpg
    First official trip to Seligman 005.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 1,159
   / AZ ranch
There are no utilities anywhere near this place.
Eventually we will probably drill a well, but we will have a couple water tanks until then - probably about 2500 gallons each.
Septic system is finished.
Trailer is in place.
Eventually we are thinking a 1000 gallon underground propane tank.
Solar panels would be on the agenda also.
I bought a Kubota L3400 and made a drive about a 1/4 mile long. We'll haul a load of gravel every once in awhile to start building up the drive.

Attachments

• First trip to our ranch near Seligman 003.jpg
    First trip to our ranch near Seligman 003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,453
   / AZ ranch #7  
Sounds like fun!

I would consider putting in your well/power sooner than later. Make life easier while you are working and you going to spend the money eventually.

Nothing worse than working off a noisy generator if you ask me.

/ AZ ranch #8  
That looks like some pretty land and 40 acres is a nice size. We'll be watching this thread, keep the pics coming! And nice tractor by the way.

/ AZ ranch #9  
Beautiful property!!!

Just curious. What is the species of pine shown in your first photo?

Steve

/ AZ ranch #10  
Hello and welcome to Northern Arizona. I live in Flagsaff but grew up north of Willams in some of the same type of country where you are at. It is really a nice elevation, not too much snow but not scorching hot in the summer.

Do you know if there is water in that country to drill a well? I know around Williams people have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on drilling wells and never hit water. My family in Williams has hauled water as long as I can remember, kind of a pain but goes with the land.