Clear-Span or Box Beam Barn

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Clear-Span or Box Beam Barn #1  

olds67

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH T1520
Anyone have a clear-span barn that can let me know what they think about it compared to a traditional pole barn? I am looking at building a 30x40x12 and I really like the open design of this barn.

The following website is the type of barn I am looking at.

boxbeam

/ Clear-Span or Box Beam Barn #2  
I built, I say built but I haven't put the windows in or siding on it yet, a 28x32 garage. I ended up going with trusses. It's a two level garage with an I-beam down the middle only supported on each end (so the main floor is wide open) and the trusses span the 28 foot distance. It's a gambrel design so even though the walls are only about 2 feet high on the second floor it still has lots of room. I don't think I would build a garage, barn or shop with poles in the middle.
garage2.jpg

/ Clear-Span or Box Beam Barn
Crazyal, I really like the grambrel barns and a second floor is something I would like to have. Unfortunately its not with in my budget. The clear span design is completely open with cathedral type ceilings. That way with a high enough pitch a loft can be built later. I like this design a lot but I wanted to see of anyone this forum has built one or has knowledge about how structurally sound they are.

By the way, nice barn!

Last edited:
   / Clear-Span or Box Beam Barn #4  
I think that you might be a little confused with your terminoligy (unless there's a local term. diff) but all of the "pole" bldgs that I have delt with are clear span (no load bearing posts in the middle) A typical pole bldg uses a pole every 8' or so as the "foundation" as well as the bearing point for the roof system. The link that you shown looks nice but you may be able to build cheaper with locally sourced materials. A common 30' truss should be 75-100 bucks each X 21 for a 40' bldg. Keep in mind that you won't be able to get your attic unless you specify attic trusses and that adds $$ as well as more roofing mat.

/ Clear-Span or Box Beam Barn #5  
I used 30' 2x6 trusses spaced every 4' for my 30x40x10 pole barn. They have a higher vertical load bearing than the common 2x4 trusses, and the 4' spacing made them easier to use for overhead storage. Alot of stuff will fit up between the trusses that wouldn't with 2' spacing. With 2x4 purlins and 1/2" plwood on top it feels real solid when you are up on top too.

That cathedral ceiling is nice if you need alot of clearance in the center for something tall. 12' under the trusses will fit almost anything that most people have. Either way you'll love your new barn. Some prices will probably help you decide which way to go.

Thank you for all the replies so far. Rustyiron, I think you are right about the terminology, I can't find any info on this type of barn beyond branstock's website. I am just using his terminology. I was quoted around $9,600 for a 30x40x12 with 7/12 pitch, shingled roof, 12" overhang all the way around, and a 12x12 slider and entry door. This includes being built on my site. I can't even match materials for all that with a standard pole barn. The differences I have found out so far is it is all engineered wood beams mounted to a concrete footing. Similar to a steel building. There are no poles in the ground. I think this design is so new there are not many folks that have them. I am going to look at a barn he built tomorrow morning so I will have a better understanding on how it is built. I will post what I find out.

/ Clear-Span or Box Beam Barn #7  
The red barn in the middle of the page you linked to has posts going into the ground???

They look like nice structures. Was foundation cost and flatwork an addition to the price he gave you?

Milkman, you may be right about the end post being in the ground. I will get that all figured out tomorrow. It is an additional $2800 for the flatwork.

Last edited:
I have a better idea about the barn now, attached is the photos from the barn I looked at today. The posts are buried just like a normal post frame only they are made out of multiple 2x treated boards. The trusses (I think that may be what they are called or rafters?) Are made out of bolted together 2x as well.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110424_111851.png
    ForumRunner_20110424_111851.png
    751.1 KB · Views: 1,158
  • ForumRunner_20110424_111925.png
    ForumRunner_20110424_111925.png
    443.4 KB · Views: 1,390
  • ForumRunner_20110424_111944.png
    ForumRunner_20110424_111944.png
    393 KB · Views: 1,330
   / Clear-Span or Box Beam Barn #10  
That price sounds in line with some typical pole barns that I have seen advertised. There is a 30x40x10 advertised for 8995 installed in todays paper.

What is the advantage that they are promoting over typical post construction? Is it strictly not having the bottom truss chords?

Status
Not open for further replies.