Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default Re: Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12

The deepth of the post serves 2 main purposes, for shear strength and frost protection. If you are sheathing it all anyways then I wouldn't be too worried about shear. The frost part could be a little tricky depending on where you live. If you holes are below your frost depth I would just throw the post in, back fill, and move on. Do you know what your frost depth is?

Tractor
    JD 2320

Frost has to get below the rock you can't drill through. In other words, the rock becomes an extension of the pole, per say.
    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Frost has to get below the rock you can't drill through. In other words, the rock becomes an extension of the pole, per say.
    Only if you addiquitly fasten the post to the rock though. If you just set the post oe concrete pad on top of the rock, above the frost line, then moisture can get between to post and the rock, and freeze. Hence the question of the frost depth.

If the top of rock is above the frost line then the "right" thing to do would be to drill and epoxy rebar into the rock. Then tie the rebar into a concrete pad that the post is anchored to, or into. Or drill and epoxy a base plate/bracket to the rock for the post to anchor to.

Red Clay Country, GA & Mississippi Prarie
    Tractor
    JD 2210

I wonder - why couldn't he just use the round cardboard concrete forms, pour concrete into them with the post holders inserted before they cure, then attach the posts to that? Wouldn't that solve the problem? Or, would it create something else?

I guess that still does not solve the frost line issue though. nrc, where you located? In my area, frost line is only about 2', maybe less.
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim
    "I wouldn't want to be within 400 or 500 yards of one of them newfangled nuclear bombs when it went off!" WW1 Vet...

Tractor
    Bobcat 753, Ford 555D

Thanks for all the replies! You guys are great. I am just outside of Nashville, TN. Anybody have a current frost line map?

Tractor
    JD 2320

Quote Originally Posted by nrc17gto View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! You guys are great. I am just outside of Nashville, TN. Anybody have a current frost line map?
    I would not worry too much about frost at your location.
    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

Quote Originally Posted by nrc17gto View Post
    Quesstimate after a google search.
    12". About how deep are you holes now?

Wedge
    1967 Ford 4000,Mahindra 4530 with FEL and BH, Box blade, straight blade, FEL, Rake, Bushhog, Backhoe, Jinma chipper, KKII tiller, Grapple. Mahindra 4530, with FEL and Backhoe.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by wedge40 View Post

Wedge
    12" would be the frost line, right? That sounds about right; in Tulsa, we need to bury our water lines 24" deep, or 12" below the frost line.

Tractor
    Bobcat 753, Ford 555D

Quote Originally Posted by wedge40 View Post

Wedge
    Thanks! I would say they are all at least 12". If not, I can dig it out a bit with the bobcat bucket if necessary. Can move some rocks this way that the auger would not think about budging.

So, should I just sit the pole in the hole, get it squared up and braced then pour a 60# bag of quikrete around it? What do you think about putting a short piece of rebar through the pole first?

Tractor
    JD L120 looking @ LS i3040

pouring a small concrete pad at the bottom to set the pole on
    I think this is a bad idea.
    From my limited knowledge you want gravel at the base so water does not settle at the base of the pole and induce rot..I have heard no concrete at all is preferable. just pea gravel, that allows for settling and over time the gravel sets the pole itself tight.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast