Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12
Today we got all of the girts up that we are going to put up until we get the trusses up. We also got the headers up on one side. This was MUCH more difficult than I thought it would be. Should have known that getting 20' 2x12 boards around 15' in the air would be a hassle. We drilled and bolted nearly all of the headers on that one side in place as well.

PoleBarn Header by nrc17gto, on Flickr

Nick

Another thing about the headers. What do you do for front and back? Do you need double headers on the front and rear? I am sure it would make it strong but what weight is it actually supporting since the trusses sit on the sides of the building? :confused:

Nick

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #43  
On the gable ends all that I use is a 2x4 at the top. You are right that there isn't really any weight in the center. Just make sure that you pole barn spike it to your columns and you will be fine.

Good progress so far, it's looking good.

We have the headers bolted on both sides now. Today, we marked where all the trusses are going to go and notched the poles where necessary. I also picked up the simpson truss hangers. I BELIEVE we are about ready to set the trusses.

Now, we have to figure out how we are going to set them with a bobcat and a variety of other miscellaneous things available. I am looking forward to getting them up, but not the process.

Nick

Polebarn notched poles by nrc17gto, on Flickr

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #45  
There may be a better way to do the rafters. We set them on the 2 x 12s with the peaks down. Place one end of the rafter on the 2by, then the other side gets carried up the ladder, hard part. We set scaffold down the center with a 24' metal plank in between the two sets of scaffold. One person worked off the center and one on each wall. the fourth person went were needed.

We screwed two by on each end of wall and ran a string between them and checked distance with an other piece of 2by and pushed or pulled wall and rebraced until wall was straight. We nailed rafter to that wall first and then pushed or pulled the other wall to correct distance.

The hardest part was caring rafter up ladder. We set and bracer the rafters in an evening of hard work. Only planned to do half but it went quickly so we finished. My building was only 30 X 60 x 14. With your 40' width you might make a tool so someone can assist from ground with some of the weight when carring up the ladder.

Thanks ptexer! Good to know it COULD be done this way.

Any more ideas out there?

Nick

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #47  
I would probably start in the center with the trusses and work out.
Hanging the truss upside down and flipping it up has a tendency to push the walls out and it does not take much. You get to the end and you are running out of header.

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #48  
I would probably start in the center with the trusses and work out.
Hanging the truss upside down and flipping it up has a tendency to push the walls out and it does not take much. You get to the end and you are running out of header.

I would not recomend this at all. You will regret it. The last couple of trusses will be a huge pain to set. ALWAYS start at one end and work your way to the other end. If you start in the center then you will not have anything to brace the first couple of trusses to, and that is just asking for trouble.

It can be a pain at times to set trusses by hand, but it's do able. The best way is to set a gable end truss on one end first. Hopefully you ran your gable end wall post higher then the others. Nail the top and bottom cord of the truss the the post, this will help stabalize them until you get more set and can run a diagnal brace. Your trusses should have came with a packet that has all of the required bracing. It may seem like overkill, but follow it. I have seen quite a few people skimp on the bracing and then have to set the trusses again because a storm came through and blew them down.

When you get to the opposite end, swing the last 3 trusses up and lean them against the rest of them that are already set. Set the outter most one first and use a 16'er to tie it to the rest of the trusses, then set the 2 in between them. Brace them back to the rest and then go outside and set the last gable.

Great info (as usual) fowllife! Thanks! We are thinking we are going to try using the following setup.

My 753 bobcat with pallet forks.
Attach a 12' metal T beam we have to it VERY securely standing straight up against the back of the forks. Similar to the setup in this post. Except this person is using wood (and of course a tractor).

If that does not seem to work, we are thinking about renting some type of a bucket lift. We have heard that these have enough weight capacity but do not cost the big bucks of a telescoping fork lift.

Thanks for all the advice.
Nick

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #50  
Your bobcat should work for you. It really isn't hard to swing them into place with a 2x4 though, and would probably be quicker. Just take a 16'er or so and nail a 2-3' peice onto the end to make your Y. Stick it on your top cord and swing it up into place. You really only need 2 people, but 3 is better.

Be carefull if you try to use a bucket life. Most of the smaller ones are only rated at 250lbs, and your trusses are probably getting close to that. They can be a real pain to move around sometimes for stuff like that also. But if you set the truss tails on the walls first and just used it to swing the peak into place it would work.

Don't overthing it, the best made plans never seem to work, lol. You will figure out what will work for you after you get a couple set........good luck.