Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #1  

nrc17gto

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat 753, Ford 555D, Kubota L2800
I have been planning this building for a little while and now the time has come. My wife and I have taken a week off of work and although we don't expect to get it done in that time, we should be able to get a good start with some help.

We received the trusses yesterday, 40' wide with 2' OH on each end so a total of 44' wide. Today, we received the rest of the lumber. We spent most of the day just moving the lumber up to the building site with our 4 wheeler and a small trailer. I plan to post as much as I can with pictures and updates as long as the community shows interest.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• P4230027.JPG
    P4230027.JPG
    652.2 KB · Views: 2,305
   / Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #2  
Pole barn threads with photos are very popular! Looking forward to seeing your progress....:thumbsup:

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #3  
Had the Bairds pole barn, from Ok. add a 30X30 to each end of my shop, now that is full time to add or remove some stuff, think I will add, Joe Dirt.

raftersup2011.jpg

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #4  
By all means send pics of your build. I love seeing it come together.
Army Grunt

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #5  
soon as I get the cement poured I will get a pic, sure nice to have an open area that is cool even when it hot, on the south side of the shop so will be nice even in the winter down south, My LS 3010 love it, Joe Dirt

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12
We didn't quite get a full day of work in today. We did get all of the trusses moved up our long driveway close to the build site. It was pretty time consuming but we did get it down successfully and safely.

P4240107 by nrc17gto, on Flickr

P4240115 by nrc17gto, on Flickr

Hope everyone had a good Easter!

Nick

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #7  
My wife and I will be building a smaller pole bldg for hay storage 20x24x12 so look forward to your future updates

Well, we got the holes dug today for the poles. NOT a fun process. :mad:

We will clean them up some and hope to start setting poles tomorrow depending on the weather.

PostHoleAuger by nrc17gto, on Flickr

/ Pole Barn Build, 40x50x12 #9  
I think it is great that the family seems to be so involved. Give the lovely bride a big thumbs up!

Question for the community.

I have read a lot but wanted to try to get a direct answer to my question.

When we dug the holes, we could not get any of them 4' deep. We ran into rock that stopped our auger process on nearly every hole.

We initially planned on digging 4' and pouring a small concrete pad at the bottom to set the pole on and backfilling with the dirt that came out of the hole. From what I understand the depth is to help with shear strength. Is this right?

Our building is going to be completely wrapped with OSB and then siding is going to be put on. Wouldn't this help with the strength?

Sorry for the rambling, this has been frustrating and I am looking for some answers before the weather hopefully breaks tomorrow.

Thanks!