Mid-Century Modern Build and Remodel Project

/ Mid-Century Modern Build and Remodel Project #1  

LoveTheSmellofDiesel

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
After looking through ITHINKICAN's metal building thread I thought it may be nice to post the pictures of my parent's original construction of their dream home, and its restoration so my family can take care of mom as she has advanced Alzeiheimers and needs someone nearby.

Unfortunately I came to this forum late in the game for the project, but I'll intersperse some 'guidance' or items we would have done differently if we were to to it again. I've learned so much from this forum in a short period of time - thanks for all your vast knowledge and experience.

I'll start with their original build, my parents kept an excellent history of all the work done on the house as they built it. Down to calendar of how many hours each day they worked on the house, and a ledger of all expenses spent - they said it was for the construction loan they obtained - but the level of detail is amazing. My mom worked all week on the house, while my dad did on weekends or when not at work back between 1965-1967. Interestingly we've had a member of our family living on the lake you'll see since 1916.

I wish I had the skills to do most of the work myself, but have certainly learned a lot along the way to become somewhat handy and gain the comfort to try to do tasks myself. Phase 1 of the remodel is the addition of a new bedroom, bathroom and kitchenette (the cedar box you'll see) to allow for privacy for both us and mom. Phase 2 will be the addition of a garage, and storage "box" to the right of what you will see in the pictures, and a full remodel of the upstairs areas, bathrooms and kitchen.

We are going to do the landscaping ourselves and I'm sure we'll have many questions everyone can assist with ;) - please.

Attachments

• House Build_Complete.gif
    House Build_Complete.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 1,380
  • House Build_Complete - Side.gif
    House Build_Complete - Side.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 1,382
  • IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 1,909
Last edited:
   / Mid-Century Modern Build and Remodel Project
Here are a few for now - will post remainder in the evenings as I can. This is their original lot and my dad (the mining engineer) and patient Uncle Chuck surveying, and a few of the end result.

Attachments

• Side Complete.jpg
    Side Complete.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 457
  • Front Complete.jpg
    Front Complete.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 342
  • Dad and Uncle Chuck.jpg
    Dad and Uncle Chuck.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 331
  • The Lot Lake View.jpg
    The Lot Lake View.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 334
   / Mid-Century Modern Build and Remodel Project #3  
I saw your earlier thread and meant to comment.:ashamed:

This is a great house and you are doing a great good restoring it. :thumbsup: I also applaud you working out a way to keep you older family members in the home.

It is nice to see a variety of styles represented here.

My wife and I are big fans of Modernism (mid-century or contemporary). One thing I am sure your are learning is that you need to be a real craftsman to do work on a Modernist style house. Because the structural elements are often key components of the aesthetics of the house, any imperfection shows up like a "lady of questionable virtue" in church.

Thanks USTMD. It has been fun. We promised mom she'd stay in the house she built...period. She told us that was the way it was going to be or she'd go out to the middle of the lake and it would be the last we see of her...

You are correct on your comments about it sticking out when it isn't right...but I'd imagine that everyone going through a construction project knows exactly what is not to spec...

The following pictures are from when they did the foundation. Of note the house is more of a commercial style building so I hear from my GC all the time...they built it out of steel beams, steel flooring/roof panels, concrete glass and stucco. For reference my dad's father was a plasterer in Chicago and my father was a mining engineer and worked at USG so got exposed to all the newest building materials in the day. Looking back through the pictures it is certainly interesting to see the different machines, tractors, and tools used compared to today. Some of those are shown in this set. Of note is the sand that is everywhere. Down the road from us is one of the largest sand/gravel pits of the area. They had a horrible time with collapses due to the sand when they poured the foundation. Remnants of this impacted the addition which I'll outline when we get to the remodel construction...

Attachments

• Delivery.jpg
    Delivery.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 231
  • Escavation.jpg
    Escavation.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Foundation Dig.jpg
    Foundation Dig.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 243
  • Forms1.jpg
    Forms1.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Concrete Pour.jpg
    Concrete Pour.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Forms2.jpg
    Forms2.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 198
More foundation work.

Attachments

• Forms1.jpg
    Forms1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Basement Wall with Door Openings.jpg
    Basement Wall with Door Openings.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 353
  • Concrete Floor.jpg
    Concrete Floor.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Patio Concrete Floor.jpg
    Patio Concrete Floor.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 370
   / Mid-Century Modern Build and Remodel Project #6  
Nice pics. Your parents were ahead of their time.
Dave.

Thanks Dave, the more I work on the house, the more I fully understand how much...

Pictures on steel delivery and placement...love the vehicles.

Attachments

• steel3.jpg
    steel3.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 189
  • steel2.jpg
    steel2.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 191
  • steel1.jpg
    steel1.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 221
  • steel4.jpg
    steel4.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 199
Giant erectors set... Here Grandpa is examining some steel floor panels with Grandma watching. The best I can tell they cut these by hacksaw as I've seen some pictures with Mom cutting them...she cannot remember any longer (probably a good thing)...

Attachments

• Putting up Steel.JPG
    Putting up Steel.JPG
    457.4 KB · Views: 250
  • Steel Skeleton.JPG
    Steel Skeleton.JPG
    565.5 KB · Views: 215
  • Metal floor panels.JPG
    Metal floor panels.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 331
   / Mid-Century Modern Build and Remodel Project #9  
Thanks for sharing pictures and keep them coming.

Quick flash to the present, shot of the same Oak tree out the Guest Bedroom window..looks about the same as it did back then sans all of its leaves. We got horrible rain yesterday in a flash flood. You can see the lower yard has drainage issues, will be moving to work on that soon.

Attachments

• Red Oak.JPG
    Red Oak.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 224