Need to move a large slab without cracking it

/ Need to move a large slab without cracking it #1  

awl51

Tractor
Kubota BX1500
I am the new owner of a large slab of bluestone, 15ft x 5 ft x 4 in thick, that weighs approximately 4000 pounds. It used to be the entry for a church built in 1856. It has already been moved 30 miles once (flat) via trailer to its current location. I will need to move this on the highway 300 miles, and would appreciate any advice on how to minimize the chances of its cracking.

Some details:

* Moving it vertically is not an option. It will need to be moved flat.
* It will be transported on my dual-axle landscape trailer with plenty of weight capacity, just enough room, and electric brakes.
* The slab will be put on that trailer by a commercial crane when I arrive.
* I intend to put timbers every 3 feet or so under the slab's length, and then drive wooden wedges from the front so that the bottom of the slab contacts each timber in 2 or 3 places snugly.
* It'll then be strapped down well and wedges re-snugged. Drive at 60 mph max. Check wedges and straps again after each 100 mi.
* Unload via crane at destination and put on a tamped sand pad.

One thing I was wondering was whether it might make sense to put either some rigid foam board or rubber sheeting underneath each timber to act as a sorted of damper between the inevitable bumps on the highway. The trailer axles have springs, of course, but I though that "pad" might provide some additional protection against jolts. Then again, whatever the "pad" is might tend to compress and eventually work the wooden wedges or - worse - straps loose.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever done this before?

Thanks -

-Andy

/ Need to move a large slab without cracking it #2  
I thought that I was the only one to do something as Kookie as that! Sounds like a really neat stone. How about a complete layer of junk tires under the stone and only "softly" tying down the stone?

/ Need to move a large slab without cracking it #3  
Another thought, only support 2/3? 3/4? of the stone legnthwise, let a few feet cantelever in the air, it should support itself a few ft. This might avoid any frame flex that the trlr. might have?

/ Need to move a large slab without cracking it #4  
I don't know about your trailer, but most flatbeds twist quite a bit. Tying it to the bed solidly will mean the trailer will try to twist it. Why can't it be moved vertically? That seems like it would be the most stable way to get it there in one piece. If it HAS to be moved flat, I think I would try to make a "pallet" of sorts that will help distribute the load evenly and then move it like Rustyiron suggested, on something soft.

edit: looks like Rustyiron thought of the trailer twisting thing too.

Dave

/ Need to move a large slab without cracking it #5  
I thought that I was the only one to do something as Kookie as that! Sounds like a really neat stone. How about a complete layer of junk tires under the stone and only "softly" tying down the stone?

That sounds like a good idea. The tires would act like springs and automatically spread/distribute the weight.

With timbers, there is always the chance from settling/shifting that you end up with one acting like a fulcrum where the stones own weight plus the inertial force generated by road bumps, puts a lot of pressure across one point. Running the timbers lengthwise would reduce the fulcrum problem a bit.

A nice piece of bluestone 15' X 4' is worth the effort.
Dave.

/ Need to move a large slab without cracking it #6  
The timbers underneath should have the wedges under them to take up gaps, not wedges between the timbers and the stone. Don't think you want to create stress points in the stone.

I agree that the stone shouldn't be tied tight to the trailer that will want to flex some. However, the stone will likely be able to withstand some movement (just don't know how much and you don't want to find out).

/ Need to move a large slab without cracking it #7  
I would do some checking how they moved it last time?? Must have worked.

/ Need to move a large slab without cracking it #8  
I would do some checking how they moved it last time?? Must have worked.

Yes; and call a quarry- you have lots in New England, and they move bigger pieces than that, all the time.

/ Need to move a large slab without cracking it #9  
I like this idea.
I recently bought 3 slabs of bluestone custom cut for my needs, approximatly 3 ft x 5 ft x 1-1/4 inches thick. I put them loose in the back of my truck and 50 miles later no issues. The point is the stuff is stronger than you may think.
I'd go with the tire idea.

/ Need to move a large slab without cracking it #10  
I live in bluestone country, we have a nice place on our property that may make a good bluestone quarry (once its logged.) Most of the bluestone is put on oak pallets and some of the larger pieces use smaller pieces of bluestone under them so that the forklift can get them off.

Pennsylvania Bluestone .Com "It's all about Bluestone"
(there is a chat area there they may be able to give you more info.)

Pennsylvania Bluestone is a layered sandstone found only in the northeastern tier of Pennsylvania, parts of northern New Jersey and the southern tier of New York. The quarried product has many uses, from cut dimensional stone used in patios, walkways and stair treads to architectural stone used in buildings. It is also used for wallstone, decorative boulders, natural steps and other landscape features. The name Pennsylvania Bluestone is due to its predominantly blue color and because the majority of stone is quarried in Pennsylvania; it can, however, appear in many other hues besides blue. It was formed over 360,000,000 years ago during the Devonian Period as large inland seas deposited sand in the Catskill delta region. It is composed of feldspar, sand, and mica (among other minerals) and is clear of most organic residues. Pennsylvania Bluestone is a layered sandstone found only in the northeastern tier of Pennsylvania, parts of northern New Jersey and the southern tier of New York. The quarried product has many uses, from cut dimensional stone used in patios, walkways and stair treads to architectural stone used in buildings. It is also used for wallstone, decorative boulders, natural steps and other landscape features. The name Pennsylvania Bluestone is due to its predominantly blue color and because the majority of stone is quarried in Pennsylvania; it can, however, appear in many other hues besides blue. It was formed over 360,000,000 years ago during the Devonian Period as large inland seas deposited sand in the Catskill delta region. It is composed of feldspar, sand, and mica (among other minerals) and is clear of most organic residues.