Electrical advice for building

/ Electrical advice for building #1  

JeffinNE

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2320 & JD LT190 mower
A 30x40x10 Morton building is going up in a couple months and I'm needing some advice on what I'll be needing for electrical. Hoping to have the power ran from the box inside the house--maybe 60amp power needed? I'll have a 30x36 concrete pad in front of the building for use as a basketball court for my boys and looking for options for lighting the court. I don't see a heavy need for lots of power--I have no welding skills, just maybe some small power tools. I'm thinking just basic lights for inside the building and a few outlets? Would you need an exterior outlet for any reason or just run an extension cord from an inside outlet? The building will have a concrete floor and used for storage of all those things we accumulate on an acreage that eventually overflow the house garage.

First--when in the process of having the building put up is it best to add the wiring, etc.

Second--what advice for number of outlets, type of lighting for the bb court, and lighting inside the building?

/ Electrical advice for building #2  
Just because you dont have a welder today, dosent mean you wont have one tomorrow.
I ran 100 amp service from my house (200amp) to my shop when i build it. At that time i "knew" it's more then enough. No more room in my panel anymore. Now, i wish i had more but will live with what i have.

I got 14 8-foot fluorescent fixtures in my 30x50 shop
15x 15 amp recepticals plus 2 on ceiling for openers
2x 20 amp
1x 50 amp
i ran telephone line
gas line for my heater
water line
i pre wired for alarm system before i closed the walls up
it's all easy to do during construction.

I wired it up after the roof was on and i had the exterior wrap on.
exterior outlet.....definitely...at least 1
Outside light for your shop.....depends on your needs and wants.
http://www.budgetlighting.com/outdoor-yard-lighting-barn-light.html

So...at least 100 amp for sure.! Dont second guess yourself.
Once you have a big shop like this, you'll find all kinds of things to do in it. Lot's of room for tools that require electricity.....I since have build another shed. 24x18. Just never big enough! In fact, if i was to do it again, i would build bigger and higher. I have 10 foot ceiling now but would build 14 high, so i can have a car hoist. Hindsight certainly is 20 20.
my 2cents

Last edited:
   / Electrical advice for building #3  
Unless you're on a real shoestring budget I'd suggest going with a 200 amp panel.
I sure do wish the PO of my place had done so. :(
Who knows what you'll be using the building for 5 years from now..

/ Electrical advice for building #4  
At the least run 2" conduit and then if you every want to upgrade your panel you can use your old wire to pull the new heavier wire thru and you won't have to dig up your yard again:thumbsup:

/ Electrical advice for building #5  
At the least run 2" conduit and then if you every want to upgrade your panel you can use your old wire to pull the new heavier wire thru and you won't have to dig up your yard again:thumbsup:

I've been told to run an empty one also just in case there is something you want to run later.

/ Electrical advice for building #6  
Yep...100 amp service. I am not sure if it is the same as a house but there may very well be a code as to the number of outlets required per foot of wall space, I'd go up from there.

What is the service at the house?
Do you have electric heat in the house?

/ Electrical advice for building #7  
if you already have a 200 amp service to the existing house, i would suggest running a 100 amp circuit to the shop (you cant run a 200 amp circuit from a 200 amp main...not allowed). I know you say you don't need it now, but awfully hard to do later. The trench is the most expensive part of the entire thing.

Depending on your soil types, you can run direct burial wire (without any conduit underground). this saves a little $$$$, but personally id never do that. A 10' stick of 2" pipe is only $4 or so.

If you definitely don't want anything other then a few lights and a few outlets, you'll only need 30 amps out there. You could load the thing with lights and outlets on 30 amps, and unless you want a welder, air compressor...youll never exceed the 30 amps.

You can put outlets anywheres you want, but i usually place them 48" up from ground, and place one every 10 feet for convenience. You can easily group[ 4-5 on a single 20 amp circuit since your not planning on making a shop out there. They HAVE to be GFCI protected.

There are lots of lighting options for the exterior. My current favorite involves multi-tube florescent lights. Very energy efficient and put out lots of light.

If you have the trench run...add phone and catv lines...internet also . or just run extra conduits for future. Im sure glad i did on my shops. Just a note: the phone,catv,internet CANNOT be run in same conduit as power.

/ Electrical advice for building #8  
Have your power company set a new drop and you supply the meter base then you can put up a another 200amp panel or less if you want to In Your shop it will be a lot easer and safer in the long run
How many amps is your panel now that feeds your house
I am a electrician so can help you I do this every day How far is the shop from your house

/ Electrical advice for building #9  
Have your power company set a new drop and you supply the meter base then you can put up a another 200amp panel or less if you want to In Your shop it will be a lot easer and safer in the long run
I am a electrician so can help you I do this every day How far is the shop from your house
The only issue with this is the extra service fee every month. You could end up paying (in my case) 3 times more for the basic service fee then power used.

/ Electrical advice for building

House panel is 200amp. Using propane heat.

It's about 170 feet from the house to the building.

My current meter is at the opposite end of the acreage and I would have to go around the back of septic field which would be around an 800 foot run. Isn't that the only way power company could wire it?