How to do natural stone work the correct way.

/ How to do natural stone work the correct way. #1  

machmeter62

Platinum Member
We have a walkway of natural stone and are concerned about the proper procedure to stone the 36" vertical wall adjacent? Should the horizontial stone be the base, then mount the vertical stone on top or vice-versa....we left enough space for either methods?

This is a new challenge for me, and want to do it right. The vertical stone is all natural too, with one side smooth. The thickness does very on the slab, and will on the wall also!

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

/ How to do natural stone work the correct way. #2  
Can you post a photo? I did a rock "skirt" for a friend of mine last summer that was on the perimeter if the house, it was a stand alone rock skirt, meaning no side walks attached.

36" tall, natural stone, I would put in a footer to carry the weight. Is this wall next to anything? House, dirt berm, or free standing?

/ How to do natural stone work the correct way. #3  
Some pictures and more information is needed. I do all kinds of "Natural" stone work. But with the information provided can offer no advice.

Attachments

• rock wall started2.jpg
    rock wall started2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 498
  • rock wall started6.jpg
    rock wall started6.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 301
  • rock wall.jpg
    rock wall.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 318
  • stairs.jpg
    stairs.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 497
  • wall-done-2.jpg
    wall-done-2.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 391
  • new-wall-6.jpg
    new-wall-6.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 294
   / How to do natural stone work the correct way. #4  
We have a walkway of natural stone and are concerned about the proper procedure to stone the 36" vertical wall adjacent? Should the horizontial stone be the base, then mount the vertical stone on top or vice-versa....we left enough space for either methods?

This is a new challenge for me, and want to do it right. The vertical stone is all natural too, with one side smooth. The thickness does very on the slab, and will on the wall also!

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

Typically thepaving stone will be butted to the wall veneer. You really want a ledge to build the veneer off of on the wall. If not and it is a concrete wall or cmu, i would avise concrete fill and ramsetting scalloped walk ties for the veneer. You will use type s mortar to level your flagstone on the walk assuming its concrete base, we used to make a damp flour like mix of portland/sand as the base to quickly level the stone, lift it to check for air pockets, the pour "soup" over the drymix which was portand and water at pancake batter consistancy to secure it. Very fast and very solid. You will have to tool your venner to fit both thickness and jointwise.

/ How to do natural stone work the correct way.
Thanx gentlemen, we heeded all your advice. The 36" wall is part of the perimeter of a large front porch that will require a total of 660 sq. ft. of stone for the three walls, steps, and concrete floor. About 300 sq.ft. of the stone will be for the stone on the concrete floor and steps.

/ How to do natural stone work the correct way. #6  
Thanks for the pics.

/ How to do natural stone work the correct way. #7  
Here is a good mix for setting stone.
- 4 "Fine" sand - 1 cement - 1 lime - about a cup of white glue.
Mix well and keep fairly stiff. It should stand up on your trowl.
Wash your stone and keep it damp while setting it.

More on setting if anyone is interested.

/ How to do natural stone work the correct way. #9  
Below is general information, just something to help you get started with your plan.

Retaining walls and decorative walls are different. Most of the time a retaining wall is easier to build with filled 8x8's & re-bar and then a stone face. All stone is a lot more work but can be fun if you like to work. Both need a good footing, 12+" wide & deep or deeper. Don't forget weep holes, your not building a dam.

Most of the walls shown in my early post are veneer type. Single stone deep (This still needs a footing about 10" wide 4" deep.) or thin stone stuck to cement board or set in stucco.

Pretty on both sides decorative walls are the most work. Sure nice to have a helper for these as you want to work both sides.

Keep a stiff brush and bucket of water handy. Every now and then wash the stone of slopped on Mortar and clean the joints. Don't worry about the Mortar staining at this point. After the cement has set completely ( a day or 2) wet the wall down real well. When almost dry spray with muratic acid. Don't let it sit too long before you hose it down real well.

Easy to build is a "Form 1 Side" that gives you something to build against. You can also build a form 2 sides, fairly easy & fast. Dump in Mortar, set rocks close to face, more Mortar & more rock. As soon as the cement sets, pull off the face form and scrub with the stiff brush and lots of water.

Attachments

• fawcet-e.jpg
    fawcet-e.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Fire Pit start.jpg
    Fire Pit start.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 973