Recommendations, please - Half inch hammer drill

/ Recommendations, please - Half inch hammer drill #1  

Zxyrthe

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20 HST
My brother just burned up my drill. It was a Black and Decker and served me well for quite a while. Perhaps, however, I should upgrade.

Can anyone recommend a durable half inch hammer drill?

Thanks!

/ Recommendations, please - Half inch hammer drill #2  
I just burnt up a Ridgid :mad: I say do stay away from them!

Rick

/ Recommendations, please - Half inch hammer drill #3  
I have a Bosch which has been a great drill!!
would hihgly recomend it. Or depending on what u are doin lowes has the poter cable hammer drills for like 70 bucks and they seem to be pretty good too.

/ Recommendations, please - Half inch hammer drill #4  
I've got a B&D that has been used & abused for over 15 years and will still break your arm if it gets away from you. Don't think you will need much more than that'. :thumbsup:

/ Recommendations, please - Half inch hammer drill #5  
If this is just for occasional use, then I don't have a specific recommendation, I have a 1/2" milwaukee hammer drill, it's pretty decent but I never use it anymore.

I had a few jobs where the milwaukee wouldn't cut it so I started using a Hilti sds drive. for commercial use there is no comparison. Only problem is they are ridiculously expensive. I got mine for a steal though.

Never found a concrete or block it wouldn't drill, with the milwaukee there were some super hard materials it would not drill.

Good luck, JB

/ Recommendations, please - Half inch hammer drill #6  
Good Afternoon Zxrythe,
I have a Black and Decker also. I have limited use on it, but so far its been good. Its one of the few tools that I use on a homeowner useage level. The last use was some 1/2" lags I put in when installing an entry door going into the cellar.

If mine burned out tomorrow, I would buy the Bosch, all my other contractor grade tools are Bosch ! They are very rugged and hold up well to extreme duty JMO ! :)

Good luck in the hunt ! ;)

/ Recommendations, please - Half inch hammer drill #7  
I also have a Bosch,its a 5/8 can't think of mdl# now,I'd have to look outback.
Its never let me down on a job.

Boone

/ Recommendations, please - Half inch hammer drill
Thanks for the quick replies!

Bosch if I can afford it.
Black and Decker if I can't.
Stay away from the Rigid.

Best. Forums. Ever.

/ Recommendations, please - Half inch hammer drill #9  
Had to think for a while. The old B&D is more in the 30 year old range. Got it to bolt some steel safes to reinforced concrete.

Last 2 jobs were 5/8" holes in reinforced concrete, with crushed stone as a filler. 16 On 2 projects, went through a few bits and did a lot of sharpening, but could not load the drill enough to slow it down.

The balanced rock base was drilled out about 3" for a hunk of re-bar. It ate a bit on that little job.

Attachments

• birdbath2-3.jpg
    birdbath2-3.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 123
   / Recommendations, please - Half inch hammer drill
Impressive.

My drill apparently burned out drilling into the slab foundation of an old boiler room. Probably not the right tool for the job.

I occasionally need to drill into masonry or brick but rarely anything harder. I just like to have it and not need than need it and not have it. . . big part of my buying a tractor and finding this board.