Outdoor Kitchen

/ Outdoor Kitchen
Foundation is complete. The front is 36" wide, the sides are 30", and the back is 14" (I plan on laying some type of rock wall on it).

Attachments

• IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 515
   / Outdoor Kitchen
Another pic. I hauled 16 tons of 57's, and 21 tons of #8 rock on top of them. I'll prob. have to get more 8's.

Attachments

• IMG_1494.jpg
    IMG_1494.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 405
   / Outdoor Kitchen
My dump-trailer, and hauler.

Attachments

• IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 582
   / Outdoor Kitchen
I had to put new septic lines in this spring, and guess what I ran into digging the new lines. 90% of these rocks came from one, hundred-foot line. I'll be using these for the pavers also.

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 353
   / Outdoor Kitchen
Started laying the rocks, its a slow process for me, no 2 are the same thickness, and I have some pretty big rocks to lay by hand. To give an idea of how big they are, the one on the left is 36" long, and 6" thick. I know its not gonna be perfect and smooth, but I really like the look. I'm going to put sand in the gaps.

Attachments

• IMG_1501.jpg
    IMG_1501.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 453
  • IMG_1502.jpg
    IMG_1502.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 261
   / Outdoor Kitchen
Laid 3 of my biggest rocks, I cheated and used the tractor, I was shocked it picked them up with the fel and chains. I figured i'd have to drag them. I dug the middle rock out with my little backhoe (it was act. bigger, but it broke while digging it out). All three are 5+ inches thick. This is where i'm planing on putting the grills and sink (kinda the main traffic area). I was a whipped pup when i got these set.

Attachments

• IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 334
  • IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 314
   / Outdoor Kitchen
Here's a pic of the built-up bank. I put some topsoil on it in the spring, and sowed some grass seed on it about three weeks ago. Its a 12 foot rise from what it used to be.

Attachments

• IMG_1510.jpg
    IMG_1510.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 381
   / Outdoor Kitchen
Worked today laying more rocks...slow process. It's like working a jigsaw puzzle that none of the pieces fit.

/ Outdoor Kitchen #29  
ya this is some fun stuff working like this. You have a VERY large area to work & cover up there for sure.
Here are some of my projects in my photobucket project album Projects pictures by WPSPIKER - Photobucket

individual pics
my helper (ok he just lays on the cool flat rocks & loves the surface for bouncing tennis balls on.)
0914091221a.jpg

starts

0904091824.jpg

start of # 2 BBQ pit surround the rocks have root and or bug trails all thru them as seen below the 2nd pick is bland looking due to the dirty sand that I used on top & as a base.
1029091726.jpg

Most of these rocks are 1.5 or 2ft by 2~3 feet around the BBQ pit. The Landscape blocks are the BIG ones 12x6x24 I think. The work OK but seem to not like a lot of long term heat. costs for all of those blocks was about 90 bucks so price was not too bad. Next time I need to make sure I get the FIRED BRICK type not the concrete & epoxy type materials of the normal landscape blocks.

1117091623.jpg

the rocks here are ones I dig out of my wash/gully there is a lot of loose gravel on top of the bedrock and these hunks are from about 20 feet below grade but usually only a few inches of loose gravel on top of the flat bed rock which I pry out using flay spud bars & large crowbars then pick up with my tractor when I can get into the area. I also use 2 wheel dolly to roll them into area where I get em in the FEL bucket to transport up to the truck.

the one next to my GFs house is on its 3rd or 4th summer now & under full shade the nice coloration's & striations are covered with light moss/green algae looking color as it is full shade. Winter is pretty hard of this type of soft sandstone but with a good deep sand base under it it drains well for the most part the worst pieces are where the drive meets the walk/patio and gets salted in winter & more water on it and has crumbled some...

Mark

/ Outdoor Kitchen
ya this is some fun stuff working like this. You have a VERY large area to work & cover up there for sure.
Here are some of my projects in my photobucket project album Projects pictures by WPSPIKER - Photobucket

individual pics
my helper (ok he just lays on the cool flat rocks & loves the surface for bouncing tennis balls on.)
0914091221a.jpg

starts

0904091824.jpg

start of # 2 BBQ pit surround the rocks have root and or bug trails all thru them as seen below the 2nd pick is bland looking due to the dirty sand that I used on top & as a base.
1029091726.jpg

Most of these rocks are 1.5 or 2ft by 2~3 feet around the BBQ pit. The Landscape blocks are the BIG ones 12x6x24 I think. The work OK but seem to not like a lot of long term heat. costs for all of those blocks was about 90 bucks so price was not too bad. Next time I need to make sure I get the FIRED BRICK type not the concrete & epoxy type materials of the normal landscape blocks.

1117091623.jpg

the rocks here are ones I dig out of my wash/gully there is a lot of loose gravel on top of the bedrock and these hunks are from about 20 feet below grade but usually only a few inches of loose gravel on top of the flat bed rock which I pry out using flay spud bars & large crowbars then pick up with my tractor when I can get into the area. I also use 2 wheel dolly to roll them into area where I get em in the FEL bucket to transport up to the truck.

the one next to my GFs house is on its 3rd or 4th summer now & under full shade the nice coloration's & striations are covered with light moss/green algae looking color as it is full shade. Winter is pretty hard of this type of soft sandstone but with a good deep sand base under it it drains well for the most part the worst pieces are where the drive meets the walk/patio and gets salted in winter & more water on it and has crumbled some...

Mark

Looks good. I wish i had your rocks. What type of sand did you use to fill the gaps, and how did it hold up?