Stump Wars....

/ Stump Wars.... #1  

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra (2011)5035 HST TLB & (2016)2555 HST Cab & (2017)1526 HST(2018)Cub Cadet Pro Z 154L (1991) Caterpillar E70B
Dig around stump, see that you bit off more than you can lift...dig hole and bury sucker... Five hours of quality seat time..... :)

/ Stump Wars.... #2  
You can reduce the weight of a rootball by more than 50% with just a garden hose... a hosed off rootball also is relatively safe for a chainsaw. :)

Disadvantage of burial is that the ground will start to drop within 5 to 20 years (depending whether its pine or oak)

/ Stump Wars.... #3  
I know milk crates are pretty cheap and they have many uses, but why is one at the bottom of the hole? I'm guessing it was being used as a "step" ladder.

Wedge

/ Stump Wars....
I know milk crates are pretty cheap and they have many uses, but why is one at the bottom of the hole? I'm guessing it was being used as a "step" ladder.

Wedge

I put the milkcrates in the picture for 'perspective'... if you notice there is a line tied to it.. I wouldn't go into that hole under the stump for nothing.. :) I moved a bigger sugar maple stump years ago, after poking at it, warshing it with a hose, fliping it over with my backblade collisions, etc... Finally got it going downhill and put it in a valley near where it started...when my 2240 would no longer pull it on a close hitched sheet steel skid made out of a 250 gallon oil tank. Waited until winter, then cleared about two foot of snow away from it with my backblade. Horsed the stump maybe another 20 feet or so on the frozen ground, before I sliced thru the sidewall of one of my $500 16.9x28 R1's with the skid....then burnt on it where it sat for several years untill I could finally pull it. Stumps are fun... :)

/ Stump Wars.... #5  
Man do I hear you! I have almost 15 acres of clear cut that I've been working on for several years. Some stumps just pop out and others have taken hours. I've burnt them, and buried them. Depends on ability to get out of the hole. This past weekend I finally convinced my wife to run the backhoe on the Kubota L35 (she had a blast) so now I can do things with my other machine while she does stump duty! :D I'm thinking of digging them up, pressure washing them off and hauling them back to DC and sell as "free range organic natural sculptures". :D

/ Stump Wars.... #6  
Man do I hear you! I have almost 15 acres of clear cut that I've been working on for several years. Some stumps just pop out and others have taken hours. I've burnt them, and buried them. Depends on ability to get out of the hole. This past weekend I finally convinced my wife to run the backhoe on the Kubota L35 (she had a blast) so now I can do things with my other machine while she does stump duty! :D I'm thinking of digging them up, pressure washing them off and hauling them back to DC and sell as "free range organic natural sculptures". :D

That's not as farfetched as you may think. There are furniture artisans out there who specialize in using unusual wood forms for their product. Just as an example, see these:

Stump Tables & Natural Tree Root Tables

Robin Wade Furniture - sustainable, natural, organic, American made walnut furniture

http://www.liveedgecreations.com/p5/furniture-gallery/tables/coffee-tables/california-rootball

PH

/ Stump Wars.... #7  
Got bunches of em waitin for any interested Artist and even a few more that they can have if they wanna dig them up.

Attachments

• IMG_1050.JPG
    IMG_1050.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 296
   / Stump Wars.... #8  
I'm thinking we should start a "Stump CoOP" and sell all our stumps to art schools.

/ Stump Wars.... #9  

Wedge
Evidence of one Milking the job! :D

/ Stump Wars....
I'm thinking we should start a "Stump CoOP" and sell all our stumps to art schools.

I'd put mine up for sale, but they are doing duty being strategically placed here and there around my property lines to deter tresspassers wandering around on their snowmobiles/ATV's....wanting to get on my nice well groomed trails out in the woods... :) [ hard to install/maintain a fence in a woods ] But, I'd still join that co-op....