Killing sweet gum trees

/ Killing sweet gum trees #1  

schoolsout

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533
I've done somewhat of a search, but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

We have about 20 acres of pines that have been thinned and gums are coming up under them. Bush hogged some of it and knocked a lot down, but as you know, they sprout back up.

My thinking is to bush hog what we can, wait for the sprouts to come back up a bit and then hit them with .... ?

Does 2,4D kill these things without damaging grass? If not, what would you suggest?

/ Killing sweet gum trees #2  
Try tractor supply, there are two types of 24D and i use one of them early in the year and the grass thrives...It might be the answer to your tree sprouts, but Im not sure, it serves me well here..Then later I use round-up, but it kills nearly everything, including some of my friendly trees..IE Pear.

/ Killing sweet gum trees
Yea, I don't want to kill anything but the gums. Thanks for the info!

/ Killing sweet gum trees #4  
if you use a spray wand and roundup, and are careful to only hit the gums, that might work.

/ Killing sweet gum trees #5  
good luck.

I've done just about everything to get rid of sweet gums.. but they keep coming back.

got my other darm pasture about 13 ys ago. it had just been burned off prior to getitng it. whole stand ov sweet gums burned flat.

i disced the property till it was 10" of fluffy dirt and then planted grass. in 2ys i had 90% of the gums back.,

I cut and hogged them.. every year I do so, adn about 90% of what I cut or spray returns. probably in another 6 ys I'll have them gone.. :)

soundguy

/ Killing sweet gum trees #6  
You tried roundup?

/ Killing sweet gum trees #7  
yep... 24d, diquat, the um.. funny 'salt' one.. tried about 4 different things. stuff is darn hardy.

soundguy

/ Killing sweet gum trees #8  
Fence it off and turn some goats loose, they love those sweet gum shouts.

/ Killing sweet gum trees #9  
yep... 24d, diquat, the um.. funny 'salt' one.. tried about 4 different things. stuff is darn hardy.

soundguy

Did you try mixing the roundup stronger then recomended say 2x? that might do it.

/ Killing sweet gum trees #10  
didn't try much stronger.

was afraind of non local kill. I need that place for pasture.. can't have a 80' diameter chernoble dead zone just yet.. :)

soundguy