Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Deere 2320, Bobcat 322 mini-ex, Bobcat 763 skidsteer

Default Re: Anyone built a home basketball gym??

Not sure about basketball, but I have often thought about putting in a racquetball court. Smaller space than a full b-ball court.....

My son and I play a lot, and it would be nice to not have to drive into town for a game or some practice time.

We had thought about making it as a multi-function facility (basketball, volleyball, dance floor, etc). But there are too many other projects that have to be done first - maybe next year......

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

Our neighbor has a nice two story barn. Was an old dairy barn, cleaned out the bottom and the top hay loft was spray foamed and finished. THe bottom is for all the gas toys.
    Upstairs is a basketball court(he only did a half court to save space) and some pingpong tables etc. Really came out nice.

Bronze Member

Great ideas everyone and pricing out options...

Tractor
    kubota bx2350

I have had a court in my old post and beam barn since the 70's 45 long 33 wide. Baskets 3 feet off the wall. I originally poured a concrete floor but it is deteriated and my next floor will be a wood deck. I 'm going to remove the old concrete and build a treated lumber deck about 8 inches of the ground . The materials will be about 3500 but its something I can do myself. Concrete will cost about 6000. Which I can't do myself. The good thing about a deck is it will be easier on the legs and knees, Any problems with the floor can be easily repaired . The floor can be sanded to however smooth you want it to be. You
    Can leave it a little rough for better traction . In the winter kids tend to track in snow on the concrete which makes it slippery.

Tractor
    Wheel Horse 416-8

I realize this thread is old, but let me add a few things here for future web searchers. We
    are thinking of the same thing. A building large enough to house half-court games and
    serve as garage and workshop. It is possible to have the spaces overlap (e.g., move the
    cars for the court), but let's stick to just the court. It also matters how serious you want
    to be. If you want your kids to play when in high school, and eventually have games with
    kids and sons/daughters-in-law, then it cannot be a small after-thought of a hoop on the
    wall. A court for hard-charging grown ups to have real fun is different than a court for kids.

Dimensions. Minimum of 40' wide by 36' long. A 40' wide building will have a smaller interior
    dimension, and won't allow a full 3 pt. arc at the corners. But, this should be sufficient, and
    is a common dimension for builders. 44' wide would be better. 36' long will allow a large
    overhang of the backboard and room for 3 pt. shots. Do not screw the back board right
    into the wall. It should overhang into the court at least 3' from the wall, preferably more.

Ceiling ht. 20-25' at center is good, but don't forget that the highest part of a shot's arc
    from the corner will not be over the center of the hoop. The majority of the ceiling height
    needs to be pretty high. Most people mount the hoop on the gable end, but if the building
    is wide enough you may be better off mounting it on the eave side.

The best way to accomplish the dimensions and ceiling height, in my tons of estimates, is with
    a metal frame building. I would not go with a conventional pole barn. I've got estimates
    from small and large builders, and the only way they can get the ceiling height is with super high
    walls. Perhaps not a concern, but such a building is not attractive in my neighborhood.
    Standard scissor trusses have a bottom chord too low, and fancy gambrel trusses that
    do not require collar ties are bulky and expensive. I've yet to find a pole barn builder
    willing to devise up some parallel chord trusses or inverted scissor trusses that would
    work. I know it can be done, but ya' gotta go with what they know.

Thus, we came to the conclusion that the best solution would be a web steel frame,
    like Perka. Best would be a gambrel steel web truss, or simply a higher pitch. We
    determined that a 6:12 pitch on a 40' wide building with 12' eave heights would work
    and would be our minimum standard. A gambrel steel web truss would put the center of the
    building at about 25', with sufficiently high ceilings at peak arc points. Alternately, check
    out wood frame builders like Eagle Rigid Span or Starwood Rafters.

A concrete floor will work -- don't make it toooo smooth. It can be painted or stained.
    There are options for floor tiles. Expensive, but very cool. Make the building with lots of
    light. White ceilings, light color walls, good lighting. This is especially true if you want to
    do some batting. A web search of fancy (expensive) homes with barn style basketball
    courts will reveal awesome-looking timber frame buildings and wood interiors. Awesome
    looking, crummy for basketball or any other sports.

Get a good backboard. Spend the extra $1000 for a full size clear (glass/acylic) backboard
    with break-away rim. This will make all the difference. Really. Similarly, take the time to
    paint the key and 3 pt arc. Or, put down tape.

Our estimate for a steel frame 6:12 pitch, 40 x 60, concrete work, 2 eave side garage
    doors, about 10 windows, metal roof with thermax insulation, zip system walls with vinyl
    siding, a couple of walk doors, moderate insulation, and THEY build it, was about $55K.
    We don't have $55K. If we cannot build this we will likely build a nice outdoor court on
    the driveway (currently gravel). The outdoor court, with nice landscaping, may cost
    about $15-20K. But, still no garage!

Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12