What is a galvalume frame building?

/ What is a galvalume frame building? #1  

DennisH

Silver Member
Ok guys, I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what a galvalume frame building is or what it looks like. I have been shopping around for a 30' x 50' x 12' building and have gotten a fair quote on a building.

I asked if it was a free span red iron type frame and he said no it was a galvalume frame.

WTH is a galvalume frame?

/ What is a galvalume frame building? #2  
Google "galvalume" for your answer!

/ What is a galvalume frame building? #3  
Galvalume is an industry trade name for continuous coat electro-galvanizing.

It's also applied sometimes to continuous hot dip galvanizing.

if the frame is 'Galvalume', it's mild steel, galvanized against corrosion (just like the truss arch's are) in my Clearspan.

/ What is a galvalume frame building?
Thanks, guess I wasn't clear in my asking. I know galvalume is, I just never heard it used to discribe a frame structure as I was used to the term Red Iron Frame. The saleman is sending pictures so I can see what this system looks like.

/ What is a galvalume frame building? #5  
Think red iron minus 80%. Hot dipped is better then the electro galvinized. Had a boss who lost his job betting on the electro galvanized to out last a warranty. Just look before you buy.

/ What is a galvalume frame building? #6  
Think red iron minus 80%. Hot dipped is better then the electro galvinized. Had a boss who lost his job betting on the electro galvanized to out last a warranty. Just look before you buy.

That entriely depends on the application. Electrogalv is ideal for thin gage metal that's subject to forming less than 90 degrees of angle. Hot dip is more brittle brittle and can be formed but not at acute angles. Automotive is almost 100% electro and my employer supplies quite a bit. We also supply hot dip continuous. That's for primarily agricultrial application. Brock uses our material almost exclusively.

Iron is black, not red. Maybe you are referring to the red oxide overcoat.

/ What is a galvalume frame building? #9  
Galvalume is a Aluminum and Zinc coating where as galvanized is zinc.

Your better corrugated steels for post frame application is galvalume based.