New Barn Roof

/ New Barn Roof #1  

expedoman55

Bronze Member
Hey all, I know many of you have had much much more experience with barns and storage blds than I. I have attached a pic of my present barn that has a bad roof. The wind has torn up the top or the barn off and it is leaking and now needs to be replaced. I am considering asphalt architectural over the T-Locks.. I am alittle worried about the roof weight.. What about Metal, Any suggestions ? FYI.. it is not just a curved roof it you look close you can see a little flair at the bottom edge. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 555
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 228
   / New Barn Roof #2  
I really dont think youll get standard raised seam metal roof to conform to that curve correctly.

after tin your back to an aslphalt shingle

/ New Barn Roof #3  
Since they dont make Tlock anymore I would also say metal is a great option. There are a number of companies that do this.. see here. Curveline Photo Gallery

Also since the top of your roof is essentially flat traditional shingles will not work so well - maybe rolled roofing on the top and traditional on the sides if you dont do metal?

/ New Barn Roof #4  
If the T's are in good shape on the sloped part of the roof, I'd have a sheet metal shop make a cap that covers the top part that's almost flat. Might have to be several feet wide. It will be pretty hairy working on a roof that steep, you might want to hire someone to do the work for you.

/ New Barn Roof #5  
Metal, only way to go. Aspault shingles are made poorer and poorer any more, they won't lock down on the curve any more, just be waiting for a wind to rip them off.

The metal will span the slight flair out you have.

Nail down 2x4 every 2 feet across your roof - actually screw them down and try to hit the rafters, nails will pull out - they make good building screws for that, not cheap deck screws. Seriously, deck screws snap off you don't want them, good construction screws.

Then screw the tin roof panels onto the 2x4s.

Job done for your lifetime.

--->Paul

/ New Barn Roof
Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I assume you mean a single strips(if you will) of metal running up and down the roof from top to bottom? (or what ever lengths they come in) and screwed down. Do they have to be preformed or can the be formed on the roof? Sorry if this is a stupid question

/ New Barn Roof #7  
They make metal shingles now, these look good: Roofing
On page 2 they have a membrane roof that might be good at the flat top.

I would think you would strip the old shingles off, check the wood for any damaged areas, use that ice dam roll stuff on thhe flat top and drip edges

Last edited:
   / New Barn Roof #8  
Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I assume you mean a single strips(if you will) of metal running up and down the roof from top to bottom? (or what ever lengths they come in) and screwed down. Do they have to be preformed or can the be formed on the roof? Sorry if this is a stupid question

Yup. Put the sheets up vertical. They will bend enough to form around. Screws would be a good idea tho over nails. ;) I do not have a rounded roof on my place so have never helped in doing so, but nearly every rounded barn around here is tinned now.

If your old tar roof is somewhat servicable, it makes a nice sub-roof if you strip it with the 2x4s and put the tin over the 2x4s. If you'd want a heated building, good place to add stiff foam insuation between the strips as well....

Most folks do it this way, no need to take the old shingles off, the 2x4 strips can bridge minor bad spots and level out somewhat out of shape buildings.

Works well, quick & easy (if any type of roofing work can be called easy) and the results are good and durable.

--->Paul

/ New Barn Roof #9  
I don't know, but if the wind has torn off shingles,I would go with stripping off the old shingles and tar paper. I used to work at an amusement park that had a barn with that type of roof and it used metal shingles. The barn looked really good with that roof. I would ask a preofessional for what he would do, and base your decision on that. I understand the need to save money and do it the cheap way, but then how long will that last.

Yes, I heard you can put up to three layers of asphalt shingles on before stripping, but the roof justs looks funny and not crisp, and gees, the weight issues with a snow load.