No electric: Alternatives?

/ No electric: Alternatives? #1  

Slippy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5115M
It is too expensive to run electric to my pole barn. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get electric? Generator? What kind, who sells them, gasoline, propane? Probably going to go with propane hot water tank and stove. I looked at the generac.com web site, but did not see much in the way of generators. Ideas?

/ No electric: Alternatives? #2  
Northern Tool has the most to look at but u might get a better price locally.
http://www.northerntool.com/generators/

Also do like a lot of the Amish do and use 12VDC.
Storage batteries and solar cells or alternator on a gas engine to recharge.
Rv places sell 12V flourescent lights and gas too.

/ No electric: Alternatives? #4  
Whatca planning on doing with the electric?
A 5000 watt generator will run $700-$1,000. Then you'll always have to gasoline ($1.80 a gallon). Then generators have to be on before they work and they are all loud when it comes right down to it.
Just how far is your barn from utilities?

/ No electric: Alternatives?
About a mile. Electric company has formula to absorb cost over 4 years. My monthly would be about $600 per month plus usage costs.

/ No electric: Alternatives?
Hoeman:
Great site. Sending me catalog. Very helpful. Thanks!

/ No electric: Alternatives? #7  
Owee...oweee...oweee.... Thats spendy.

/ No electric: Alternatives? #8  
Geez that's a lot of money. I didn't realize it would be that much and was guessing between $1,000 and $1,200.

Have you considered having the electirc sting the wire and you have your own poles set? Used poles are pretty easy to find and getting a cable contractor to set them would be an option, and getting these guys cash they'd give you a deal.

/ No electric: Alternatives? #9  
I think Northern also sells a generator alone, intended to be driven from a belt or PTO. It is about 6500 watts and a few hundred dollars. Another source would be a farm backup generator. These are typically 10000+ watts and designed for 540 pto tractors to drive them. they have a gearbox on them to gear up the speed to drive the armature at 1200 or 1800 rpm depending how they're wound, they produce 110 and 220 single phase, and there are three phase versions. The amount of HP you need to drive them depends mostly on the current you will be using, not as much on their maximum capacity. These could be found on auction. I would guess the 3ph ones would be the best buys, 'cause people are generally uninformed about 3 phase. Maybe someone on this TBN can assert their opinion concerning operating the 3-phase generator and only using single phase power from the output. These generators are usually on little 2-wheel trailers, were originally purchased by farmers to enable them to operate their water wells, and milking equipment, silo unloaders, etc, to keep the chores done when the grid goes down in winter. Typically they have very little time on them. The greatest part is they do not have an engine to service or fuel to go bad or keep full, etc. You just plug in the PTO shaft and hook them to your electrical distribution system through the proper approved service disconnect switch. In your case, you dont even have service to disconn from.

/ No electric: Alternatives? #10  
Might try H-F

put "Generator" in for a keyword search.

They don't seem to have their sale going for the 11hp unit - I bought it for $499 a while back and it's worked great.