Electrolytic Rust Removal

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #1  

fractal

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota b7200hst
Over in this thread, Franz said </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sandblasting AINT a fun process, and I can't understand why anybody wants to do it.)</font> and DocHerb posted a nice link to an antique clock restoration site page on electrolytic rust removal. Being the curious type I thought I would give it a try.

Yes indeedie, you can indeed turn
rust2.jpg
into
rust8.jpg
this overnight with no manual labor, harsh chemicals or other bad things.

I wrote up more details on the experiment at http://www.fractured.org/rust/ for anyone who wants to read it.

So to answer your question, Franz. "Sandblasting AINT a fun process, and I can't understand why anybody wants to do it." Well, cause we didn't know any better /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for the pointers.

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #2  
Hmmmmm

I have just fitted an ERPS "Electronic Rust Prevention System" to my new Toyota 4x4. They have been around here for quite some time but seem to be increasing in popularity.

I thought it can't hurt so gave it a try.

Sounds like it has its merits.

Do you guys have that sort of thing over there?

Cheers

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #3  
I've seen these rust protectors advertised for the last 20 years, and have seen probably a half dozen of them on cars that were less than 3 years old. Since I live in the corrosion capitol of the US, I've been looking at them, and have yet to see an explanation of the theory of operation.
Till I see one on a 15 year old car that isn't swiss cheese, I'll keep my money in my pocket.

/ Electrolytic Rust Removal #4  
I must admit I am a bit dubious, and have never had a new truck so this is a big gamble.

I used to spray my old ones with rust proofer etc. but did I get it into every nook and cranny? - Not likely.

And did it come off eventually - Yes.

So I figured at least this system will reach every single piece of metal.

This is a "beach pack" and has 6 pads on the metalwork so the circuit should be good enough.

Rust is an electric process so surely we can reverse it or slow it somewhat.

I'll keep you posted in about 10 years !!!