Need Trail Advice

/ Need Trail Advice #1  

Kyle241

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
So I went back for the second time to the trail I cut last August-September through a low area of our property. This area is very thick with red maple, cedar, poplar, green ash, balsam, etc. and it cuts our 82 acres almost in half so I really want to get a trail through. The area that I cut has started to grow back some and I tried getting my Kubota B20 in but alas stopped where the bulldozer guy did last year because I didn't want to get stuck. He unfortunately left a pile of stumps and peat in the way otherwise I probably could drive almost all the way through. Anyways, I had planned on a corduroy road through here because it gets very wet in the Spring but after just a little work today, I thought this will take me years! So now I'm back to thinking of hiring someone to do this work full-time and get it done. What do you guys think is the best type of equipment and best solution? Corduroy? Textile fabric and then fill?

Start of the trail:
IMG_0208.jpg

The tracks I am making with my B20 (approx. 4200lbs):
IMG_0210.jpg

More tracks to show how far I am sinking:
IMG_0212.jpg

Some of the stumps remaining after last year's cut:
IMG_0213.jpg

Coming back through the trail:
IMG_0220.jpg

The soil is peat for about 12-20" and then it's clay for at least 12" which is what is holding in the water.

My thoughts:

1) Make the trail wider to open it up more for faster drying.
2) Perhaps an excavator would be best to make the trail wider and make a corduroy road? Not sure the size, perhaps mid-sized?
3) Dig some drainage along the sides of the trails and install some culverts every 'X' feet.
4) Where to get the earth/soil to go over corduroy road? I would like to build the trail up but unless I decide to dig a pond near the beginning of the trail, where do I get it from? The peat is too soft.
5) Can't truck in free fill as it's about 30 acres back and there is no road for heavy trucks.

Thanks for any feedback as I am feeling a little overwhelmed and would really like to get this done.

/ Need Trail Advice #2  
If you make the trail wider you should have a little more area to get material to build up the road.

Make some "Borrow Pits" at regulat intervals along the way for road building material. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That is if there is lots of clay underneath the Bog material.:):)

To do it properly remove the Bog down to clay where the road is and then build up with clay. No need for the textile fabric if you do this.:)

/ Need Trail Advice #3  
i have a trail on my property and i need it accessible in all kind of weather because my shop is at the other end - i wanted to storge my equipment away from the house. it would bug me because when it rained i could not get the zmower out to cut for days until the trail dried up. it cost some money, but the trail gives me no more problems. here is what i did:

1) make the trail wider and remove the top soil.
2) put down felt landscaping paper - i purchased a few rolls 12 feed wide and did this myself...it's about all the weight ya want to handle but i got through it.
3) put some stone down over the paper - like number 2 stone.
4) next i had a paving guy tar and chip it...

after awhile the leaves fall back on it so it will look natural but it's a great base with no mud or growth. i can move my equipment back and forth in a down pour with no problems. in the winter i can plow the trail.

/ Need Trail Advice #4  
If you make the trail wider you should have a little more area to get material to build up the road.

Make some "Borrow Pits" at regulat intervals along the way for road building material. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That is if there is lots of clay underneath the Bog material.:):)

To do it properly remove the Bog down to clay where the road is and then build up with clay. No need for the textile fabric if you do this.:)

I agree that this is the best solution. However, I'm not sure that equipment you will need to do it. A big excavator may be able to work it's way in, digging up clay from the side and creating a side drainage ditch as it goes.

I would think a problem with building a corduroy road would be how long would the wood last before rotting and failing?

/ Need Trail Advice #5  
I was watching the show swamp loggers, they had made some corduroy roads, and they also used some wooden "matts" to cross certain areas.

/ Need Trail Advice #6  
I was watching the show swamp loggers, they had made some corduroy roads, and they also used some wooden "matts" to cross certain areas.

But they will probably only use them for a year or so and move on before they rot.

Matts are good and they are how excavators move themselves into soft areas. They often pick them up from behind and reset them ahead of where they are moving.

/ Need Trail Advice #7  
Thanks ken I wasnt sure how long they used them for.

/ Need Trail Advice #8  
If you used white oak or black locust or some other rot resistant species, it would probably last for a long time. Other species, not so long. Some maybe only a year or so depending on their size/species/environment IMO.

Ken

/ Need Trail Advice
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Ken, my plan was to use white cedar for the corduroy road and around these parts, that lasts underground quite a long time. I'm still not convinced though as building the road would be a huge task.

Yesterday I brought a 'mat' with me, a sheet of old 3/4" ply and drove over the one area that I was concerned about without any issues. I then proceeded to use my B20 to remove stumps, etc. from the trail and overall it went really well...until I dug up the wasps nest! I moved my Kubota forward about 30 feet or so real quick and decided to get off and move away, perhaps not the best idea as I got stung once. I went back later and doused their hive with soap & water and then laid a piece of clear plastic over them. I figure that the sun should warm that up pretty good and it will keep them occupied. At the time I was wearing DW's bee suit so I was completely covered.:laughing:

Next plan is to rent an excavator as I know I could do a good job of getting the trail in order. My B20 did a good job but it doesn't have the reach and it takes time to move it whereas an excavator is much better suited for this type of work. The plan will be to remove the stumps that were not cut low (mostly old and easily torn out) and then I'll start on making it wider and creating some "borrow pits" as they were named. I'll have to determine what size excavator to rent as I know the mini ex's are around in abundance but I'm not sure they will be powerful enough. Hopefully this week I'll get a lead on one.

/ Need Trail Advice #10  
If you only have individual holes that are soft, that's different than the whole road needing a solid base.

Good luck!

Ken