Gas Company wants to install pipeline under my land; Please help!

/ Gas Company wants to install pipeline under my land; Please help! #1  

ITHINKICAN

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota
We bought 31 acres June 2010.

Thursday, while I was out of town, we received a call from someone who said he represented Energy Transfer (a Gas Company) and he'd like to do a survey of our land so they could re-route a proposed gas line. He said it would run from somewhere near us to Mt Belvieu, TX.

Friday I returned his call. After much resistance (from me) and persuasion (from him) I agreed to meet him out there this evening...

This evening we met and he tried to explain everything. He wanted me to sign a document giving his Company permission to do the survey. I asked for a copy, he said he didnt have one (wierd). I asked him to email me a copy, he said he would. Then he said they could survey tomorrow morning and I could sign the document at my liesure, as long as I gave verbal permission. I said, sure whatever. If that's all your gonna do, fine. On the way home I decided I would rather wait. I called him and told him to postpone the survey. I said I want to have the document reviewed. I said I wanted to give it more thought. He said he would postpone. And he would email the document. A moment later he called and said he forgot to give us a disclosure and a homeowner rights pamphlet.

I think it is wierd he didn't have a copy of the document. I think its wierd he conveniently forgot to give us the homeowner right pamphlet, and only offered after he new I was gonna have the document reviewed.

Anyone know anything about gas easements? According to some google search; they dont have eminent domain since it is intrastate.

Do I tell them I'm not willing? Do I ask for a pile of money? I certainly dont want to lessen the value of my land. I dont need the money. But I do want to appreciated my land indefinitely. And I want my heirs to be able to sell the land at market value some time down the road.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanx!!

btw: I've been out of pocket for several months. Now that I'm back at work and now that the temperature is more reasonable - I hope to get back in the groove. Hope to hear from you. Thanx!!

/ Gas Company wants to install pipeline under my land; Please help! #2  
I don't know about your particular situation but where we used to live it basically turned out to be which landowner could afford the best lawyer. If your neighbors don't want the gas line it's going to go somewhere. The loser gets the gas line. If it's imminent domain there is no fighting that. But you can hire a lawyer that will get you the most money for this. It will greatly devalue your land. In our case nothing could be built within 75 feet of the center line of the gas line. And that is forever.

/ Gas Company wants to install pipeline under my land; Please help!
It's a coincidence you say that. The ROW agent (aka Salesman) showed us the original location. It was not on our land; not at all. It was going to run across another guys land; he and his family own 100's of acres. They have roads named after them.

The new proposed location is (according to him) 30' wide and it will run the entire length of our land; approx 1200'. It will be parrallel with the road (parrallel with the other guys land; but on our side of the Road). It will be approx 50' feet on to our land from the road.

/ Gas Company wants to install pipeline under my land; Please help! #4  
Yup, sounds like sleazy behavior. Unless they already have a right of way across your land, then you have no obligation at all. You did the right thing by not giving them verbal permission, especially since they are not being forthright in their dealings with you. I'd proceed with great caution, and if you want to consider giving them a right of way, I'd do a LOT of research to find out what is reasonable compensation and what are reasonable terms for such a right of way.

/ Gas Company wants to install pipeline under my land; Please help! #5  
From the way you were approached and their lack of due dilegence on having all the paperwork organized smacks of the used car salesman power approach. I would check them out six ways to sunday, even the Texas Attorney General's Office. These type projects take a long time in planning so don't let them stampede you; they are not in an emergency. Check out all the gas pipeline failures that are happening around the country. Makes one **** of an explosion and/or fireball. Most of these are steel and 30-50+ years old. You have no control over their Quality Control or conditions effecting the life of the system. A good land use attorney can advise on what conditions you need to put in an easement/lease for your protection if you decide to do it. Also remember there is value attached to any such contract as they are using it to make hellacious profits. I would verify the emminent domain with the Attorney General. Here in my state that has been transferred by the legislature to utility companies via special legislation. Don't you just love the big business and politician love fest!

Ron

/ Gas Company wants to install pipeline under my land; Please help! #6  
They don't normally pay a pile of money. Even if they do, you should still say no.

My dad's land has a petroleum pipe line across it. For the $1 an acre they once paid the original land owner, they act like they own the property. They fly it at 200 feet, twice a day. And show up there the minute they don't like something.

It is also inevitable, that at some point they will show up with the excavators to do maintenance.

They plan to cut down, and trim some trees next week.

I would not be interested in having a co-owner for my property. If they ever want it, they will have to buy it.

/ Gas Company wants to install pipeline under my land; Please help! #7  
The loser gets the gas line. If it's imminent domain there is no fighting that. But you can hire a lawyer that will get you the most money for this. It will greatly devalue your land. In our case nothing could be built within 75 feet of the center line of the gas line. And that is forever.

If you don't want it, just say no. You are under no obligation to accommodate them.

There's no "loser" who gets the line - it's whoever they can cut a deal with.

/ Gas Company wants to install pipeline under my land; Please help! #8  
Post Script on my last. It could be very edifying to check with your neighbor across the road and see why they are moving it. He may have had a term contract and it is expiring and he told them to pound sand. If he won't discuss it go to your county recording office and look it up. Those documents are usually recorded and are public domain so they have to provide. They may charge a small fee. In my county this is all available on there web site for download.

Lot's of luck, Ron

/ Gas Company wants to install pipeline under my land; Please help! #9  
Code:
We bought 31 acres June 2010.

Thursday, while I was out of town, we received a call from someone who said he represented Energy Transfer (a Gas Company) and he'd like to do a survey of our land so they could re-route a proposed gas line. He said it would run from somewhere near us to Mt Belvieu, TX.

Friday I returned his call. After much resistance (from me) and persuasion (from him) I agreed to meet him out there this evening...

This evening we met and he tried to explain everything. He wanted me to sign a document giving his Company permission to do the survey. I asked for a copy, he said he didnt have one (wierd). I asked him to email me a copy, he said he would. Then he said they could survey tomorrow morning and I could sign the document at my liesure, as long as I gave verbal permission. I said, sure whatever. If that's all your gonna do, fine. On the way home I decided I would rather wait. I called him and told him to postpone the survey. I said I want to have the document reviewed. I said I wanted to give it more thought. He said he would postpone. And he would email the document. A moment later he called and said he forgot to give us a disclosure and a homeowner rights pamphlet.

I think it is wierd he didn't have a copy of the document. I think its wierd he conveniently forgot to give us the homeowner right pamphlet, and only offered after he new I was gonna have the document reviewed.

Anyone know anything about gas easements? According to some google search; they dont have eminent domain since it is intrastate.

Do I tell them I'm not willing? Do I ask for a pile of money? I certainly dont want to lessen the value of my land. I dont need the money. But I do want to appreciated my land indefinitely. And I want my heirs to be able to sell the land at market value some time down the road.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanx!!

btw: I've been out of pocket for several months. Now that I'm back at work and now that the temperature is more reasonable - I hope to get back in the groove. Hope to hear from you. Thanx!!

You should go to the website of Texas Land and Mineral Owners Assoc. There are some good papers posted there that give tips on dealing with pipeline issues. You should also contact a good lawyer who s experienced in dealing with pipeline ROWs.

Don't assume they don't have imminent domain.

You can get paid but I don't think it is ever enough. You basically will use a lot of use of the property where the ROW is located. Theses ROWs are usually in perpetuity. Make sure you do it right.

/ Gas Company wants to install pipeline under my land; Please help! #10  
They don't normally pay a pile of money. Even if they do, you should still say no.

My dad's land has a petroleum pipe line across it. For the $1 an acre they once paid the original land owner, they act like they own the property. They fly it at 200 feet, twice a day. And show up there the minute they don't like something.

It is also inevitable, that at some point they will show up with the excavators to do maintenance.

They plan to cut down, and trim some trees next week.

I would not be interested in having a co-owner for my property. If they ever want it, they will have to buy it.

I have been through this twice where we used to live. Once with a gas line and once with road frontage. They wanted to widen the road wider than their original easement on the road. Never in my life would I have thought that someone in government would have ever tried to take advantage of us they way they did. I got burned on the gas line but was wide awake on the road easement. I hired an independent appraiser and a lawyer on the road frontage easement and got five times the original offer. I'm not big on lawyers but if there is ever a case that one is needed you may be there.