Help with Hydraulics

/ Help with Hydraulics #1  

Anonymous Poster

Okay guys, I need some help. I recently purchased a power rake that requires rear hydraulics to angle the rake right or left. While I was at it I thought I would also add the hydraulic top link. Knowing nothing about hydraulics or modifying them I went straight to my dealer - "Not sure" was the response but was sure "it would be expensive". Next I went to the local JD hydraulic man who told me my tractor was to small (the pump would not handle what I wanted, that I was asking too much of the tractor) and what I needed to do was upgrade to larger tractor that already had rear remotes. I then searched and read all the threads dealing with customization at this site. From what I have read it is indeed possible and my tractor will do just fine.

The problem I have now is that everything I have read does not fit or is different with my tractor. I have a JD 970 with a FEL. I researched the solution contained on this site dealing with the 4000 series tractors but have found that mine appears to be different.

Is there anyone out there that has any experience with adding rear hydraulics to the 970 or similar model? It has already been suggested to me that I add hoses that will plug into the FEL ports and run them to the back. I would rather find another solution than have to unplug and re-plug hoses every time I want to switch between front and rear work.

JD has a power beyond kit for $190.00 that would allow me to hook up a back hoe. Is that what I need to get hydraulics to the rear and then install my own control valves for the top link and implement? If so, is there another way of doing this without the kit?

I guess what I am asking is this: I have no idea what I am doing, but neither does anyone else I have talked to. Is this possible, and if so, what, where, who to talk to, see, or get to add hydraulics to the rear of my tractor?

I will attach pictures of the hydraulic pump on my tractor and the valve that I have.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 247576-hyd pump.jpg
    247576-hyd pump.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 512
   / Help with Hydraulics
hear is a picture of the valve I have.

Attachments

• 247578-valve.jpg
    247578-valve.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 569
   / Help with Hydraulics #3  
Check with these people. I am in the process of getting remotes for my B7500. Here is the address.
Sperry-Omega Marketing
P. O. Box 227
Platte City, Mo. 64079
1-800-748-8463

/ Help with Hydraulics
You should be able to add additional spools (valves) by placing them between the discharge port of your valve and the hydraulic tank.
You must use pressure hose between valves, and additional valves must be open center configuration.

/ Help with Hydraulics #5  
drichards, it may help to pick up the parts manual and technical manual for your tractor (check Ebay). I got these for mine and they show the power beyond kit and where it hooks up. Maybe your dealer would let you browse his copies to see if it's in there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Help with Hydraulics #6  
I have a JD 790 and added TNT by using the Power Beyond kit as a source of power. I plumbed a three spool valve between the the output and return line.

/ Help with Hydraulics
For some reason most dealers have not been too helpful. They do not seem to know or understand what I am trying to do and seem intimidated by it - one was even rude after he ordered the wrong kit thinking it would work. Another one quoted me over $2000.00 to get it done. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I tried to order the tech manual but was told that JD only prints them when they have enough orders for them - at $120.00 a copy. What search did you run on ebay for the manual?

/ Help with Hydraulics
I hope I do not sound to stupid here, but how do I figure out which is the discharge and return? Once I identify it can I tap into the hard line? If so, what would I use? Or, is the power beyond kit, for $190, the way to go?

I understand most of how to plumb the hydraulics once I tap into the pressure, I am just not sure how, where to get the pressure from and where to return it to.

The most frustrating part is that I need help that I am not sure how to ask for. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Help with Hydraulics
If you tap into the hydraulics at the wrong place, only the lowest-power hydraulics will work. The others will stop working. Your 3-point, power steering, and now this new valve will need to _share_ the oil pressure. Just tapping into the line, and you will be getting _all_ the oil. not good.

I'm just not familiar with your tractor, but are there any blank control slots for hyd levers? Or are these being used for the loader controls?

Many tractors have a control block that just bolts on to the pump plate, add the lever(s), and you are good to go. Yours may need the power byond & extra controls. It will get expensive.

Man, do you need to find a new dealer, wouldn't ever take that in farm country! Good luck.

--->Paul

/ Help with Hydraulics #10  
there are several threads up in Customization thet deal with this. I am sure you've looked there. I think that is actually where this thread should be, you might get more help...

I am researching the same thing, but on a 4310, so I may not be much help.

FWIW, I think the power beyond might be a good starting place...

Hope it goes ok...