Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Default Re: A(nother) Home in the (different) Woods

Most Impressive!!!! Thanks for the update. Having OSB on the inside walls will make it easy to organize everything.

Eddie

Tractor
    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

Awesome building! How thick did you go on the floor?
    Kubota L5240 with loader and backhoe

1958 Ford 961 Powermaster LP

Tractor
    Kubota L5240 HSTC, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)

Thanks, Guys!

The slab was kind of all over the map as the clown who graded it (ahem ...me...) left a lot to be desired in terms of consistency... In my defense I needed help to do that right, and didn't have any, so I made do solo. It is nominal 5.5" but frankly varies from 3.5 to ~7" in the low spots. Let's just call it "sufficient" shall we There is a 16"d x 20" wide thickened edge also for the footing.
    -Dave

"Being a pessimist is great. You can't lose. Either you end up being right...or you are pleasantly surprised."

L5240HST, QA, 824 Loader, 48" Forks, 48" Grapple, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, Ancient Farmi Skidding winch
    Trailer - 10k/16' twin axle w/elec brakes
    2005 F250 5.4V8(3V) 3.73/4wd tow vehicle

Tractor
    Kubota L3540HST-1

Been following your thread and I must say that you have taken on a big project, but one that will be highly satisfying! Thanks for the details on the thickened perimeter, but wondering if those dimensions are a factor of your local frost depth, building size/height, both, other factors? I like this approach as an alternative to a pole building approach or traditional footing and frost wall method. I'll have my own outbuilding project coming up in another year or so and am getting great ideas from your project and others here on TBN!

The other thing I was wondering about was the channel that you formed in along the edge where the SIP wall was set. What's the purpose for this channel?

Thanks for documenting your project and I love all the pics! Great Job.
    Thomas (aka Kubota Tee)

Kubota L3540 with LA724 FEL.,HD Bucket with bolt on cutting edge, Custom FEL Forks, Taylor Way 7' box blade, 6' gill rake, Custom Tree Scoop, 6' Woods finish mower, custom FEL attached snow plow.

Toro GT2300 with 54" mower deck, snow blade and 42" spreader/spiker.

Tractor

Thomas, The foundation was designed using the Shallow Frost-Protected Foundation Guide (attached below, or search online for it - free). It works based on your local climate conditions, so have a look and you can decide if it makes sense. In this case, it saves me digging and pouring 4' stem walls with footings, so it is a huge savings in both time and materials.

Good eye on catching the step in the slab. Because the wall on that side was going to be buried below grade partially, we wanted something to help counteract the sideways pressure from the ground at the bottom of the wall. The step makes the sill plate bear directly into the slab, so it is well supported at the bottom this way. The center wall is a shear wall that is also tied into the slab with a thickened footing of it's own, and the roof trusses are designed to be part of the lateral resistive structure for this. Enercept had an engineer they used to deal with all that.

Frost protected shallow footing guide.pdf
    -Dave

"Being a pessimist is great. You can't lose. Either you end up being right...or you are pleasantly surprised."

L5240HST, QA, 824 Loader, 48" Forks, 48" Grapple, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, Ancient Farmi Skidding winch

Tractor

So while I've been spending most of my time working on the shop building, the house site got started somewhat. I had the excavator dig the foundation pad and then the concrete guys go the footing and foundation walls in. Here's a few shots of it.

Digging the foundation

-excavating-house-3-medium-jpg

-excavating-house-5-medium-jpg

-excavating-house-1-medium-jpg

Footing Forms

-footing-forms-6-medium-jpg

-footing-forms-4-medium-jpg
    -Dave

Tractor

Pouring the footings

-pouring_footings_house-1-medium-jpg

-pouring_footings_house-6-medium-jpg

2 different concrete companies on the same site!! Fight! Fight! Fight!
    -pouring_footings_house-11-medium-jpg

-pouring_footings_house-12-medium-jpg

-pouring_footings_house-13-medium-jpg

-pouring_footings_house-17-medium-jpg
    -Dave

Tractor

And then the walls. This is about 50% walkout, so half of the walls are just frost footings below grade.

Forms out the wazoo!
    -forms-foundation-2-medium-jpg

All ready to pour. Minor detail here in that I showed up a bit late and there were concrete trucks already on site. I asked the crew where the step (essentially a brick ledge) in the footings were. Got the blanks stare and then the foreman went "oh SHEET!" and they had to scramble to get that in place while the trucks were waiting. They were about 10 seconds from starting the pour when I asked that. Just in time!
    -forms-foundation-3-medium-jpg
    -forms-foundation-7-medium-jpg

And the pouring with the pumper truck again. They prefer to use that for just about everything they do as it saves a ton of time, so they actually split the cost with the customer.
    -forms-foundation-10-medium-jpg
    -forms-foundation-11-medium-jpg
    -forms-foundation-12-medium-jpg

That's about it for now. Working on drywall on the shop now that we passed rough electric and framing on that building. Trying to wrap up drywall in the next couple weeks. SIPs panels for the house have been delayed so we have been waiting for those to show up. It looks like we may get them finally on Aug 30, so we can start moving forward with that, hopefully in time to get it enclosed before the snow flies....
    -Dave

Tractor
    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

Nice! Getting the footers and foundation is a big step. The delay waiting for the panels will just give the concrete a few extra days to cure.
    Kubota L5240 with loader and backhoe

1958 Ford 961 Powermaster LP

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Looks good, Dave. It shouldn't be too hard to get closed-in before the weather turns nasty.

I'm sure it's a good feeling to see concrete progress. If I ever do another build, not likely, but I would interview the concrete contractor by saying "show me your equipment." I think outfits that try to do the form handling on a shoe-string equipment budget end up with, can only attract, the least skilled crews. Yours looks reasonably well equipped.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast