Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #31  
Dave,
Beautiful Horses! Take good care of them for sure.
Harry

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please
You can use plastic fence post's with electric fence charger and poly wire. Very cost effective and works under the right situation. I used them to cross fence a pasture and they held 8 horses in. This is providing that your horse doesn't challenge fences of course. I wouldn't recommend this type fence for a stallion for instance. But for one or two good horses it would work very easy and is easy on the pocketbook as well, and way safer than T-Posts. If you put up a fence like this it's a good idea to set it up during the day and to walk the horse around the perimeter so that he knows where it is :thumbsup:

Since we all like pics I thought I would throw in a few. The last one is our Bay Homozygous Paint Stud, one of our two stallions. Enjoy! :D

USNative,

BEAUTIFUL Horses!

Stallions are hard work I hear. I plan to take my mares (once I have some) to stud service...

Which Plastic posts? Please tell more!

I will build the fence BEFORE he is moved. He is used to electric, they use it along the woodlines now. But he is VERY friendly and likely to hang out on the rail often looking for handfuls of grass and stuff from my girls and anyone else he can convince he is starving...

He is a sweet boy.

Thanks in advance.

All interested,

I am hoping to meet with a contractor I know to see about getting a little help with parts of the fence that will be permanent (like corners and gates).

I spoke with the rescue operator were we got him (and where he is used as a rider training horse)(he is boarded there also) and said we'd like to give him a pemporary pasture and bring him home before Christmas if possible.

This thread is giving me TONS of great data (Just like all the TBN threads I have read so far).

You guys & gals are AWESOME!

Thanks,
David

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #35  
...Stallions are hard work I hear.

I rode a stallion all through high school. He was a thoroughbred, and he was amazing to ride. He'd run flat out for miles without a hint of letting up, and when he ran it was smooth like he was flying. We named him Merlin (after the Hawk, not the Disney wizard). He'd come running up to the gate if I jingled the bridle. He LOVED to ride. He's the first horse I had appologize to me. I rode bareback as much as I rode with a saddle. Occasionally I'd land in the dirt, but Merlin would turn around and come back with his head down and his ears out and wait for me to get back on.

My girlfriend through high school also rode a stallion. Hers was an Arabian. The two got along fairly well as long as we kept them busy. I think Dad liked the idea that we both rode stallions because we both knew we couldn't let them stand around together. That kept us out of trouble.

All three mares we bred with Merlin died (no idea why). So we had him cut and sold him as a gelding before I went off to college.

I'd ride a stallion any day over a mare. Today, though, it's geldings only at my house.

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #36  
Tractor Supply Company - Electric Fence Step-In Posts
Aluminum Electric Fence Wire, 17 ga. 1/4 Mile - 3600859 | Tractor Supply Company

We use those $2.50 white poly step in posts and 17 gauge aluminum wire. If someone does something stupid they are not going to suffer expensive vet bills for sliced flesh. I want the thicker aluminum but the safety factor of the thinner is worth the minor annoyance of the occasional falling branch tearing up the wire is easly fixed by twisting in a patch or twisting in what stretched before breaking.

As someone mention the FI-Shock solar works ok. The Gallager plug in will knock you down if you are sweating like crazy and bump into it.

Knee high grass is not want the horses want to eat. Knee high grass means it is either a rough where they defecate or it is overdue for mowing. At least bermuda and fescue in Georgia where we have horses.

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #37  
JimRB is right on track with the post's I was mentioning. just follow his links and you will see them. You just step on them and they go down in the ground. You can have a fence up in no time. You can use many types of wire but I like the poly type, easy to fix if need be. The way you describe your horse he would stay in there too.

I use a Gallager plug in charger too and I have been hit by it while sweating and believe me it will knock you for a loop! :D

Tractor Supply Company - Electric Fence Step-In Posts
Aluminum Electric Fence Wire, 17 ga. 1/4 Mile - 3600859 | Tractor Supply Company

We use those $2.50 white poly step in posts and 17 gauge aluminum wire. If someone does something stupid they are not going to suffer expensive vet bills for sliced flesh. I want the thicker aluminum but the safety factor of the thinner is worth the minor annoyance of the occasional falling branch tearing up the wire is easly fixed by twisting in a patch or twisting in what stretched before breaking.

As someone mention the FI-Shock solar works ok. The Gallager plug in will knock you down if you are sweating like crazy and bump into it.

Knee high grass is not want the horses want to eat. Knee high grass means it is either a rough where they defecate or it is overdue for mowing. At least bermuda and fescue in Georgia where we have horses.

Jim,

I will look into those posts!

For grass, most of this acre is grass I mowed to 1.5" with the LX266 riding mower, about 1/3 of it is bush hogged to 4".

Only under the fruit trees where I can't yet get either mower is knee high.
David

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #39  
We put up T-post and tape 2 years ago to split our turnout into 2 pattocks. Our 17h Holsteiner mare and 16.2h Dutch Warmblood gelding are both dominant. Works well. We just bought a little 14.2h quarterhorse for the grandkids to ride. He tried it the first day and broke the bottom strand. After 2 years it is pretty brittle from UV rays and weather.

Here is my wife riding the mare having a lesson with her trainer.

Attachments

• 100_0060.jpg
    100_0060.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 100_0061.JPG
    100_0061.JPG
    959 KB · Views: 154

JimRB, et al,

Is the poly better than the fiberglass (at approx 1/2 price, I am curious).

Can you explain why? I'm new to all of this...

Thanks in advance!

David