Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
I have about 1 to 1.5 acres of grass currently in my pasture area that at most I need to cut down some old fruit trees.

I'd like to get our horse here on the property and out of boarding by Christmas.

ALL of this area will be part of the final pastures I'm putting in, but for now I am looking to just get something in so I can move him here.

What is a the best bet for economical temporary fencing?

T-Posts and wire?

I also have a large number of 4" to 8" straight bucked to 7' I was planning to use as fence posts now that I have been salvaging from the logging debris.

Our horse is smaller, just 14.6 hands or so, Paint/pinto gelding. he has always been outside in 3 board fencing.

When I am finished next summer, I plan wooden 3 board along the drive and fire road, and 10' inside the treeline I will use post and wire on the other sides.

Thanks in advance!
David

Attachments

• Harley-2.jpg
    Harley-2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 557
   / Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #2  
I have about 1 to 1.5 acres of grass currently in my pasture area that at most I need to cut down some old fruit trees.

I'd like to get our horse here on the property and out of boarding by Christmas.

ALL of this area will be part of the final pastures I'm putting in, but for now I am looking to just get something in so I can move him here.

What is a the best bet for economical temporary fencing?

T-Posts and wire?

I also have a large number of 4" to 8" straight bucked to 7' I was planning to use as fence posts now that I have been salvaging from the logging debris.

Our horse is smaller, just 14.6 hands or so, Paint/pinto gelding. he has always been outside in 3 board fencing.

When I am finished next summer, I plan wooden 3 board along the drive and fire road, and 10' inside the treeline I will use post and wire on the other sides.

Thanks in advance!
David

Hey David -

Well I'm not much of a horse person, but that's a beauty!
I would think stringing some wire would be the easiest. If you had some area where you could use the trees as posts, even easier, if it's a temp thing. And use the tractor to pull/stretch the wire?
I'm by no means an authority, just thinking out loud. I'm sure you'll get better advise by more experienced individuals.
You sure have some projects lined up!

Frank

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please
Hey David -

Well I'm not much of a horse person, but that's a beauty!
I would think stringing some wire would be the easiest. If you had some area where you could use the trees as posts, even easier, if it's a temp thing. And use the tractor to pull/stretch the wire?
I'm by no means an authority, just thinking out loud. I'm sure you'll get better advise by more experienced individuals.
You sure have some projects lined up!

Frank

Harley is an awesome horse.We've known him since he was 3-5 months old. This is my FAVORITE pic of him. My redhead middle daughter just turned 11, and she was 5 (or 6 max) I believe in this pic...

I have so many projects is an understatement. I am overwhelmed some days. I am finally at the point where I can start focusing on them, and I can't decide what to do first, second, etc... I'm just glad I got the other 2 homes rented out and finally they are less work, and a little cashflow. Now I'm getting serious here where I live!

I'm rebuilding the shelves in the pantry today. But a local TBN guy might stop by with his tractor & laser level, and if so we are excavating the spot for the slab for the Harley shed... I need to go burn off the last of the tank of gas in my Stihl Farmboss this morning also. Yesterday my middle daughter and I made huge progress clearing out an old ramshackle woodshed full of rotten wood and junk that we will convert to a Guinea House (so I can get them out of the big metal shed where I plan to park the tractor!). She worked HARD, because she is in charge of the fowl (down to 15 Guineas out of 30, 1 rooster & 2 ducks).

To top it all off I have carpal tunnel surgery next Monday on my Rt hand, and that will gimp me upfor 2-6 weeks, then I do the left in mid Dec!

Life is complex my friend. I look at it like this, at least I will never be bored now. I will ALWAYS have something I can do...

Be careful out there. I heard you got extended... Stay safe!

Be well,
David

Attachments

• Harley-n-Devon1.jpg
    Harley-n-Devon1.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 405
  • Harley-Baby2.jpg
    Harley-Baby2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 390
   / Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #4  
Harley is an awesome horse.We've known him since he was 3-5 months old. This is my FAVORITE pic of him. My redhead middle daughter just turned 11, and she was 5 (or 6 max) I believe in this pic...

I have so many projects is an understatement. I am overwhelmed some days. I am finally at the point where I can start focusing on them, and I can't decide what to do first, second, etc... I'm just glad I got the other 2 homes rented out and finally they are less work, and a little cashflow. Now I'm getting serious here where I live!

I'm rebuilding the shelves in the pantry today. But a local TBN guy might stop by with his tractor & laser level, and if so we are excavating the spot for the slab for the Harley shed... I need to go burn off the last of the tank of gas in my Stihl Farmboss this morning also. Yesterday my middle daughter and I made huge progress clearing out an old ramshackle woodshed full of rotten wood and junk that we will convert to a Guinea House (so I can get them out of the big metal shed where I plan to park the tractor!). She worked HARD, because she is in charge of the fowl (down to 15 Guineas out of 30, 1 rooster & 2 ducks).

To top it all off I have carpal tunnel surgery next Monday on my Rt hand, and that will gimp me upfor 2-6 weeks, then I do the left in mid Dec!

Life is complex my friend. I look at it like this, at least I will never be bored now. I will ALWAYS have something I can do...

Be careful out there. I heard you got extended... Stay safe!

Be well,
David

Too funny, my oldest daughter (just turned 9) asks every so often about getting a horse.....until I ask her who is going to feed & clean said horsey.....gets her thinkin a bit!:laughing:
Hope that guy stops by to help - any help these days is a welcome thing.
I know what you mean with projects.....too many with not enough time in a day. And yes, my company asked me to stay another week.....it'll be 11 weeks in a row, home for 2 weeks, then back over here. ugh. But, the paycheck will help with the new tractor purchase! :licking::drool:
Are you gonna be able to do the Harley shed in a week? How about a 20' container box delivered to your spot of choice, use for winter storage, then move to another part of the property or re-sell next year?
I know how these timeframes work.....:eek:
Best of luck on the surgery next week, my friend. I've had a pinched nerve in my neck bugging me for the last week, tingling arm and all....can't seem to shake it. Getting old sucks......:thumbdown:

Finally, I'm upset with you.....haven't visited my thread yet?? :laughing:

Sorry for hijacking ur thread with absolutely no useful information.....:laughing::laughing:

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #5  
For a temporary fence, you could use an electric fencer and wire on insulators on t-posts. I would flag any new electric fence so the horse can see his boundaries. Tie one or two 1 inch strips of rags to the wire between each post.

Put a plastic cap on top of each t-post for safety of the horse and anyone who rides the horse in the area. There have been some tragic freak accidents involving t-posts.

I don't know about using logged posts. I think they will rot rather quickly compared to treated.

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please
Finally, I'm upset with you.....haven't visited my thread yet?? :laughing:

HAVE TOO! :p

I saw your drain the golf course guy made the county guy respond to and the landscaping plan!

I Just have nothing of value to add!:laughing:
Sorry for hijacking ur thread with absolutely no useful information.....:laughing::laughing:

Unlike someone I know...:D

Best of luck on the surgery next week, my friend. I've had a pinched nerve in my neck bugging me for the last week, tingling arm and all....can't seem to shake it. Getting old sucks......:thumbdown:

Thank you my friend! It will be a huge relief after it heals. 6 weeks limited to lifting 5 lbs will NEVER HAPPEN, but...

Getting old totally stinks. I'm going to be 48 in April and I don't feel old, at least not until about 10pm every night!!! :laughing::laughing:

Be well, stay safe. I'm addicted to paychecks myself, so I totally understand.
David

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #7  
Electric fence is an excellent temporary fence for horses. You just have to introduce them to it gently. I've used electric fence off and on for decades with dozens of different horses. Often we'll shut the fence off after the first few days. Horses don't seem to test the fence continually like cows do. Once they've established where the wire is they respect it.

You might consider putting in your permament corner posts for now to support your electric fence and fill in with the rest of the posts and rails as time and money permit.

Driven T-posts are a good way to hang electric fence, but even those little fiberglass rods work well. I have a set of half t-posts welded to old tire rims that make for a great portable electric fence.

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #8  
Unless you already have the wire, you're better off just going with the electric fencing that comes in the 2-3 inch wide straps. The horses see it in addition to the electric shock deterrent. If your horse isn't too rowdy, you can get away with step in plastic/fiberglass poles to hang it from. Fast, easy to put up, and take down and completely reusable.

Driving T posts is much harder work, and if you're going to be putting in something permanent pretty soon, probably it's overkill.

We had a gelding who we could keep fenced with just brightly colored Surveyors tape! Talk about an easy keeper.

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #9  
wood posts and wire with flags, and later remove wire and add boards.. or for faster, tpost with wire and flags.

soundguy

/ Temporary Horse Pasture - Fencing advice please #10  
Remember, horses, like dogs, are highly trainable. It does not take too long for a dog to learn the boundaries of the "invisible fence", and I suspect that after a "lesson" or two, your horse will respect MrWhippy's fencing, and the electric part will no longer be needed.

Sheep and cattle folks who rotate pastures- often on a daily basis- use this visual type of fencing.