Screenings for Barn Floor?

/ Screenings for Barn Floor? #1  

Believer

Silver Member
What do I put down in the barn instead of concrete? I use the barn mostly for equipment and storage. A local quarry has limestone sreenings, that's probably my only easy choice. Will that work?

/ Screenings for Barn Floor? #2  
What do I put down in the barn instead of concrete? I use the barn mostly for equipment and storage. A local quarry has limestone sreenings, that's probably my only easy choice. Will that work?

I put screenings in my horse stalls. Works great with stall mats on top, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a general-purpose floor. Even though screenings initially pack very well, anything heavy (or anything with small wheels like a push mower) will cause ruts. You might do better with crusher run or some other type of driveway gravel. It won't be as pleasant for bare feet, but it'll pack solid.

/ Screenings for Barn Floor? #3  
I put screenings in my horse stalls. Works great with stall mats on top, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a general-purpose floor. Even though screenings initially pack very well, anything heavy (or anything with small wheels like a push mower) will cause ruts. You might do better with crusher run or some other type of driveway gravel. It won't be as pleasant for bare feet, but it'll pack solid.

I do the same thing with my horse stalls. I tried a crusher run floor in my pole barn for a while before I poured concrete. It was very dusty and trying to sweep it with a broom didn't work too well.

/ Screenings for Barn Floor? #4  
Limestone I hate it.
Put that dirty messy stuff on my driveway once and after every rain it tracked in the house like mud .
Limestone never again!

/ Screenings for Barn Floor? #6  
go with crusher run. I have it in my add on garage. its not nice on my knees or back, but I just get my rubber mat for that.

/ Screenings for Barn Floor? #7  
How does "crushed run" differ from screenings?

Oldstuff

/ Screenings for Barn Floor? #8  
How does "crushed run" differ from screenings?

Oldstuff

Well the names are somewhat irrelevant. The material is what is important. When I mentioned "crushed run", mine was based on bluestone. We also call it "21-A", "Pit Finds" and "Stone dust"......