Electric Chain Saws

/ Electric Chain Saws #1  

Michelle K linnane

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4103
Hi Guys
As per my other post about the wood stove (which I need to update with pictures). Stove is in the but not hooked up yet. I have 5 cord of wood
cut and split and about 4 cord is on my deck. I have some smaller logs
that I wish to cut up that I have brought up from the back and wood lot.
Most of them are no more then 6 inches around. I wanted to finished cutting
from log lengths to go into stove. I have bad wrists and find it very hard to
start a gas chain saw any more I can use it but not event the two stage ones can I start. So I was thinking for trimming near the barn which all
the log lengths are stacked of getting a an electric saw I have 3 gas ones, and looked at stihl as I love their products and found out that an electric saw would be about $369 up to $469. I can get cheaper ones like a
remington 18 inch one for about $94. I do have heavy duty cords that I use with the compressor so it will not loose power.
Big difference in price does anyone have an electric saw? and just for cutting log lengths up to 8 inches how do they work?

/ Electric Chain Saws #2  
My wife uses a 16" Makita UC4030A and is quite happy with it. (It's HER chainsaw and gives me grief if I want to use it for some quick job.) She wasn't ready to deal with learning to use a gas chainsaw and wanted an electric for chopping up branches and small logs like you mention. Cost was in the low $200s from Amazon.
We've never run it off a generator, but it seems to have plenty of torque using a heavy 100' cord from a garage outlet. About the only gripe I have with it is that the bar oil reservoir cap seems to be at a weird angle; the past two times I filled it I managed to spill oil. But that's probably just me being glopsy.

/ Electric Chain Saws #3  
I have 3 electric, 3 gas. The electrics get used more. I prefer electrics with smaller amps, like 8-10 instead of 15. Less worry about voltage drop with long cords.

Bruce

/ Electric Chain Saws #4  
I've got an electric chainsaw (18" Polan bought from Amazon.com for less then $100).
For what I use it (debranching limbs for the chipper, sawing 5-6 inch branches and small trees to shorter lengths, etc.), it works fine.
I don't know about long term durability in sawing larger stuff for extended periods (such as cutting cordwood to burning lengths) though...think I'd rather have a heavier gas chainsaw for that.

/ Electric Chain Saws #5  
Like Roy, I have a small electric. Home Depot @$100. It's a Remington pole saw, and great for those pruning jobs within a hundred feet of an outlet. (Ladders and chainsaws are about on a par with alcohol and firearms!)
The saw comes off the pole in a jiffy, and then is mighty handy for casual cutting.

/ Electric Chain Saws #6  
There is no need to spend a lot on an electric saw. I have bought them at Pawn shops for people that don't want the hassle of gas. The best thing you can do is keep a sharp chain on it. You still need to be just as aware of the hazards with electrics and gas about having the wood secure when you cut it. Solid work shoes or boots on is also a good idea. Minimizing voltage drop is also a great idea.

/ Electric Chain Saws
hey guys thank you for the input on the electric saws.

Hey Lehigh Valley, PA
You do not understand women do not want to share THEIR toys any more then men do? My question is, why are surprised at this?

/ Electric Chain Saws #8  
I've got an electric chainsaw (18" Polan bought from Amazon.com for less then $100).
For what I use it (debranching limbs for the chipper, sawing 5-6 inch branches and small trees to shorter lengths, etc.), it works fine.
I don't know about long term durability in sawing larger stuff for extended periods (such as cutting cordwood to burning lengths) though...think I'd rather have a heavier gas chainsaw for that.

I had a Poulan brand.....Had a 16" one I used for about 8 or 9 years. Used it to cut trees and limbs up to 12" in dia worked it hard and often. Certainly a lot softer and gentler on the hands than a gas one. Only killed it by running it on to long an extension lead.

Bob

/ Electric Chain Saws #9  
Big difference in price does anyone have an electric saw? and just for cutting log lengths up to 8 inches how do they work?

I have Remington, I think the 16" model. I cut up 2 cords of hardwood logs with it, and have been using it to drop a few pine trees about the property. My experience is if you bury the bar in a hardwood log, you're either there all day or you push it until it overheats (not just the motor, all the drive parts too, I partially melted the sprocket cover) or trips a breaker. Keeping the chain sharp, tight and well oiled helps, but cutting up 14,18,24" maple, oak, or beech was really just too much for it. Smaller sizes were fine. Any size pine it giggles as it speeds through, even the one on the back corner of my lot on 300' of cord.

So with that said, I think for your 8" logs you'll be fine.

/ Electric Chain Saws #10  
I had a Poulan brand.....Had a 16" one I used for about 8 or 9 years. Used it to cut trees and limbs up to 12" in dia worked it hard and often. Certainly a lot softer and gentler on the hands than a gas one. Only killed it by running it on to long an extension lead.

Bob

Yeah, I like the less vibration (which can cause nerve damage) aspect.
I also like the reduced noise (still use ear plugs though) and that immediate chain brake.
Nice to know yours lasted so long...I wouldn't have expected that.