who is good with picking colors???

/ who is good with picking colors??? #1  

mx842

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301, PowerKing 2414, John Deere 316, Gravely ZT HD 52
Thanks to the hurricane I am getting a new roof and was thinking about going with medal. My house is a small cape with a wrap porch that sits in the woods. Well it used to be really woods but most all the trees right up against the house are gone. It is brick and is sort of like the colonial colors, not red but a combination of colors from light to dark. The porch is still natural salt treated wood that is slightly weathered with what is called Richmond rail pickets. I have vinyl clad windows that were originally what is called Sandlewood but now look more light grey.

What ever color I go with I will use the same on my new pole barn I am building. I think I would like to try what is called terracotta red for the roof but am wondering how that would look with my brick. I can stain the porch any color if it would help even to whole thing out but I have to admit I am not good at all with picking colors. I have talked to several roofers and they all seem to be pushing charcoal grey but I have had this color on the house for 20 years and just want a change. Of-course none of them want to put something up that somebody might not end up liking so they go with this color because it would go with almost anything.

I am also getting the trim work covered in medal also so that leaves that open also. I'm going nuts here and the roofer wants to order the medal so he can get started so please give me some ideas.

/ who is good with picking colors??? #2  
I think your roofers are giving you good direction. A picture of the house would help, but the roof really needs to contrast with the brick color and it sounds like dark gray would be best way to offset it. If your roof is light or bright colored, the appearance will get very "busy" with multicolored brick.

/ who is good with picking colors???
I know I have pics of the house somewhere but I can't find anything right now. I did find one that shows the brick color pretty good but not the whole thing. I'll take some shots tomorrow and post them up.

Attachments

• DSC01980.JPG
    DSC01980.JPG
    703.4 KB · Views: 243
   / who is good with picking colors??? #4  
There are applications on the Web that allow you to upload a photo of your house and experiment with different paint colors -- Sherwin Williams is an example. It might be worth Googling to see if there are applications for roof colors.

Steve

/ who is good with picking colors??? #5  
What choices do you have?

I would stay away from red as I think it would be TOO much red with the brick. Green? Too much like Christmas probably. But in some Googling, I found several suggestions that a very dark green would look good with red brick.

Here is a site that lets you try colors on a brick house, though their brick is more worn (less red) looking:
Metal Roof Color Visualizer | Best Buy Metals

/ who is good with picking colors??? #6  
Go with silver!
It is cheaper
Goes with everything
And will reflect all that heat back into space stopping global warming:laughing:

/ who is good with picking colors??? #7  
White or silver may save you some A/C cost if you live south. Around here, where we seldom run the A/C, dark roofs net out better. More importantly, if you go with metal, a lot of people think white or silver makes the building look like a barn or warehouse, while dark doesn't stand out so much.

A lot of personal preference goes into this, but looking at your picture, don't even consider red.

/ who is good with picking colors??? #10  
I definitely wouldn't go with terracotta as that would be too much like puppy puke brown/orange. I'd go with a medium to dark gray like you have. Blue looks like crap on red brick houses in my opinion.

I'd avoid silver or white because of its brightness and industrial look.