3 point receiver hitch (completed)

/ 3 point receiver hitch (completed) #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
Finally finished up my 3 pt. receiver hitch. I have a gooseneck ball on top and have standard ball hitch and military pintle hitch that can be inserted in receiver. I think I may have over-built this a little (weighs approx. 175 lbs) but I guess a little over kill is ok. LOL. If I built another one, I would probably use 3/8 stuff instead of 1/2. Anyway, I will be using it on my large tractors (Cat II) I really think I nailed the dimensions because I can easily get under a gooseneck trailer that has been un-hooked from a truck and lift it higher than you would ever pull one. Also, in normal running height, my receiver hitch is just above the draw bar. Im planning on painting it a little later. Also gonna go over all the sharp corners and edges with a grinder. Vertical height between pins for arms and pin for top link is 15" (much lower than I initially imagined it would be) Horizontal distance between clevis' for arms is 32". Space between ears for both eyeballs and for top link is 2-1/2".
IMG_20111012_145304.jpg

IMG_20111012_145321.jpg

/ 3 point receiver hitch (completed) #2  
heavy duty, does what ya need, multiple uses in 1 piece of equip, oh and did i say heavy duty:)

I say SCORE:thumbsup:

/ 3 point receiver hitch (completed) #3  
Looks good, but as I mentioned in your other thread you need a way to secure a chain from the draw bar to somewhere on your new hitch to limit the free, uncontrollable upward travel.

Not just my opinion, but a known issue.
Unless your larger than CUT tractor has 3pt down pressure, check valve etc ???

JB.

Attachments

• DSCN3878.JPG
    DSCN3878.JPG
    988.2 KB · Views: 2,174
  • DSCN3868.JPG
    DSCN3868.JPG
    946 KB · Views: 1,744
   / 3 point receiver hitch (completed) #4  
Very nice job!!!!
I suggest you add a provision for a clevis so you can use that hitch for towing with a chain too (skidding a tree, for example).

175 lbs!! Yep, I'd say that's heavy duty!!

Looks good, but as I mentioned in your other thread you need a way to secure a chain from the draw bar to somewhere on your new hitch to limit the free, uncontrollable upward travel.

Not just my opinion, but a known issue.
Unless your larger than CUT tractor has 3pt down pressure, check valve etc ???

JB.

JB, is that check chain attached to your draw bar? That's a good idea and I need to add something like that to my hitch. I have had my trailer ride up...hasn't come off the ball yet...probably a matter of time though.

/ 3 point receiver hitch (completed)
I will give the chain (to limit free travel) some considerations. Still planning to weld fome flat chain hooks at the ends between the arm clevis'. Thought about that very thing (skidding a tree intended for firewood). Am also considering making an insert that can be used to un-roll barbed wire.

/ 3 point receiver hitch (completed) #6  
They make an app for that :D

JB

Attachments

• DSC04449.jpg
    DSC04449.jpg
    842.2 KB · Views: 4,644
   / 3 point receiver hitch (completed) #7  
JB, is that check chain attached to your draw bar? That's a good idea and I need to add something like that to my hitch. I have had my trailer ride up...hasn't come off the ball yet...probably a matter of time though.

Yes it's attached to the draw-bar, you do have to be aware not to over lift so you don't bend your bar when you lift the 3 pt.

Never thought of the trailer coming off the ball, but I guess that could happen too, You definitely don't want that thing free traveling upwards especially with a heavy trailer coupled.

Braking down hill, backing up hill or dumping a heavy trailer like in my pic can cause a violent upwards force that can potentially cause damage, but certainly put you in a less than "in control" position.

JB

/ 3 point receiver hitch (completed) #8  
Yes it's attached to the draw-bar, you do have to be aware not to over lift so you don't bend your bar when you lift the 3 pt.

Never thought of the trailer coming off the ball, but I guess that could happen too, You definitely don't want that thing free traveling upwards especially with a heavy trailer coupled.

Braking down hill, backing up hill or dumping a heavy trailer like in my pic can cause a violent upwards force that can potentially cause damage, but certainly put you in a less than "in control" position.

JB

I was backing up a slope when the 3PH raised quite a bit (no check chain). Caught me by surprise, actually...I am a relative novice when it comes to using a trailer, so your posts were quite informative.
And yep, I was concerned about the trailer coming off the ball. Think a pintle type hitch is more secure?

BTW, I like that bucket receiver shown in your post #6. Did you make that or buy it?

/ 3 point receiver hitch (completed) #9  
I was backing up a slope when the 3PH raised quite a bit (no check chain). Caught me by surprise, actually...I am a relative novice when it comes to using a trailer, so your posts were quite informative.
And yep, I was concerned about the trailer coming off the ball. Think a pintle type hitch is more secure?

BTW, I like that bucket receiver shown in your post #6. Did you make that or buy it?

Don't know if the pintle is any more secure or not, in that situation neither is designed for to much upwards force. Probably lean towards the pintle since it does have a solid latch, especially for the dump trailer scenario. Before the load slides out there is tremendous upward force on the tongue.

As far as the bucket receiver goes, I think I'm one of the first to mount one in that position (bragging) now it is pretty common to see.
I had this one made to my specs and installed it myself. You can get the perfect match at Harbor freight for like $20.00 now.

5000 Lb. Capacity Step Bumper Receiver

JB.

/ 3 point receiver hitch (completed) #10  
Looks good! Definitely need the chain to tie it down unless you have down pressure.

I am building one now but am going with a receiver type so I can just use a ball mount. Finished cutting the steel last evening, may be a few days before I get it all welded up though.