Water line

/ Water line #1  

Train

Silver Member
We're hooking into a water co-op and I have to run 400 of water line. Two questions. 1. I'd like to insulate the line where it's going to run under our driveway as the traffic tends to push the frost deeper. What should I use? 2. I'd like to run a tracer wire with it. What type of wire and how deep can it go and still be effective?

/ Water line #2  
We're hooking into a water co-op and I have to run 400 of water line. Two questions. 1. I'd like to insulate the line where it's going to run under our driveway as the traffic tends to push the frost deeper. What should I use? 2. I'd like to run a tracer wire with it. What type of wire and how deep can it go and still be effective?

Hmm, not sure where in the country your located. Here in North Idaho our water lines are 4-5 feet underground...way below any frost levels. What kind of pipe are you going to use??? We use 200 PSI poly pipe in 300 foot rolls up here. It would be impossible to put that stuff into anything.

PVC pipe could theoretically be placed into another pipe a little larger. I still think that just digging your trenches deeper would be better.

As for tracing wires, we use standard #12 copper wires run about 12-18" below ground. They do this mandatory for gas and optional for everything else. You could probably run it alongside the wires, but being as the #12 is so thin, most run it closer to the surface. The terminating ends are brought up above ground level so the tracer wires can be attached if need be.

Also, as im an electrician i always do the following whether water, gas or electric. I cover the pipes with 12" or so of clean dirt and then run a plastic warning tape in the trench above the pipe. fill in the trench to about 6-12 inches of the surface then run another piece of burial warning tape. Then cover to surface. this way if a backhoe starts digging, they will pull up the warning tape way before they pull up the pipe.

/ Water line
We're in Southern Alberta and trust me 5 feet doesn't cut it here. 6 is minimum, our old backhoe goes 8 so that's the plan. The line is Pex and is rated for our application. The piece under the driveway will go about 10 feet long and that's the only place I'm concerned about.

I do the same thing with the warning tape and I wish some of the prior owners had done the same. Good advice.

/ Water line #4  
Part of my water line is just a foot under ground. Sleeved the water line in schedule 40, 3 or 4 inch. Layered good gravel around pipe. Put 2 layers of good 2 inch foam board. 2 ft wide. I think this would do. I live in northern maine. Granted not a driveway, but if you're going in the area of 8ft deep, I would think this would work?

/ Water line #5  
If its only accross a driveway 10 feet or so, you can easily sleeve it in 3 to 4" pipe i would think. I thought you were running it down the entire length of the driveway.

/ Water line
So why would I want to sleeve it in to a pipe?

/ Water line #7  
So why would I want to sleeve it in to a pipe?

Well you said you wanted to insulate it where it runs under the driveway. Put inside a 4" or even 6" PVC pipe and fill it with foam insulation. Or just bury it the full 8' the backhoe will go.

/ Water line
Okay, I get it. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

/ Water line #9  
I assume the pipe acts as a thermal break, if you will. All i did was bury the schedule 40 with dirt, maybe a an inch or two on top. Than I layed the foam down on top, and finished filing in the trench. Generally frost will only travel straight down and not thru the foam. So 2ft x 8ft sheets, 2inch seem to work well. Good Luck.

/ Water line #10  
I would consider just burying the pipe deeper across the driveway. 8' deep there, 6' everywhere else.