Adding on to a Log Home

/ Adding on to a Log Home #1  

Marty38

Silver Member
Tractor
L111/sc2400
I'm currently living in a 30 year old ranch LogHome built in 1979. Im curious if anybody has added on rooms with another section of Log or even stick built, to an existing building. I'm thinking of going out with a master bedroom bath suite. I'm not sure if I want sheetrocked walls on not

/ Adding on to a Log Home #2  
I have seen stick built additions to log homes...they don't look so good. I would try and run down the same profile of log and build it to match. Depending on where the doorway is going to go(load bearing or not) you may or may not have to do some bracing. Many old log homes were build then all window and doors cut out afterwards.

/ Adding on to a Log Home #3  
I'm currently living in a 30 year old ranch LogHome built in 1979. Im curious if anybody has added on rooms with another section of Log or even stick built, to an existing building. I'm thinking of going out with a master bedroom bath suite. I'm not sure if I want sheetrocked walls on not

Here is a section I added to my log home many years ago. How it looks has much to do with the style of log home and what the siding is used on the new addition. On this addition I used 1" planking the same width as the logs. Because my logs are milled uniformly, this transition is almost seamless. I first carved into the logs to accept a 2x8 nailer.

Attachments

• PA252011.jpg
    PA252011.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 513