Planning the 2012 Project - Bank Barn Reno

/ Planning the 2012 Project - Bank Barn Reno #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
Starting to plan the big reno of 2012 (and beyond). Im going to start a multi year reno of my 35x75 gambrel roof bank barn & attached Grainery.

2011 work completed:

Excavate the Bank Side of the barn, remove dirt/clay 10' down 8' wide, put in weepeing tile and stone, bak fill with sand = prevent further heaving with winter freeze/frost.

2012 Work:

-Remove Front foundation wall of Grainary (its caved in) and re pour/re block the wall (about 15-20' across, 7' high). In the mean-time, i need to install a jack post and beam (or 2) to support the grainary structure in the absence of the front foundation wall.

-Re build 4 large Barn doors (each is 6' wide and 10' high)

-Repair the main posts (outside wall) on which one set of Barn doors hangs, the the original Posts are rotting from where they rest onthe foundation wall 2' up. Ill need to jack/support, cut off, graft in laminated pressure treated reapir sections, and gusset/support them

thats the "Start". now my 1st questions:

the foundation wall thats caved in, is 18" thick concrete and stone. No sledge hammer is going to break that up (at least not with me swinging it), whats the best alternative for a DIY guy? can I rent a jack hammer? are they electric or air powered ?

As a DIY guy, happy to try almost anything, will it be easier to make forms and re pour a front wall, or give Cement Block & rebar a try. there isnt alot of weight to the grainary, its a 20x20 wood structure attached to the side of the barn.

2013 (and beyond) - will include furher foundation wall sections being replaced, and some floor beams and planks being repalced. Ill likely buy my own portable Saw Mill for this part.