Shiitake Growing On Logs

/ Shiitake Growing On Logs #1  

Short Game

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4010 & Cub Cadet 7300
I did 16 five foot alder trunk wood logs four years ago. This year I have done 23 four foot alder limb wood logs. Of course there will be no mushrooms from these until next year. I'm not finished yet, as I have another batch of spawn ordered.

Still getting a few mushrooms from the old logs. The new ones should last years longer, as the wood is so much denser, and the bark and sapwood on limbs is so much thicker (important). If you live where there is oak, that's about the best.

My old logs, this year:

shiitakes_001.jpg

Pressure washing the moss and lichens off, careful not to harm the bark:

bob_s_pics_01_005.jpg

Logs in the que:

bob_s_pics_01_015.jpg

My inoculation station (wax pot on hot plate behind):

bob_s_pics_01_008.jpg

The sawdust spawn:

bob_s_pics_01_012.jpg

The drilling (lots of holes--six inches apart lengthways, rows staggered three inches apart) There is a poly-pipe stop wired onto the drill bit to limit the hole to one inch of depth That twist drill takes a lot of pushing. I have a special drill bit coming that has a lead screw to pull it into the log:

bob_s_pics_01_014.jpg

Drill a row, fill a row, wax over a row (I made the tool, but you can buy one for about $30):

bob_s_pics_01_017.jpg

The wax goes on between 250 and 300 degrees:

bob_s_pics_01_020.jpg

bob_s_pics_01_019.jpg

Some finished logs:

bob_s_pics_01_007.jpg

It's a lot of work at the outset, but years of yummy shiitakes down the line.

Last edited:
   / Shiitake Growing On Logs #2  
Now that is an interesting process. Where do you store them after processing? How long before you can start harvesting?

Really neat project.

Mike

/ Shiitake Growing On Logs #3  
that is a cool project :laughing::thumbsup::thumbsup::):):):licking::licking::licking::licking:

/ Shiitake Growing On Logs #4  
I always wanted to try growing mushrooms. Great photos and advice. Thanks!

/ Shiitake Growing On Logs
Where do you store them after processing? How long before you can start harvesting?

In a cool shady place. They may have to be watered in dry times. They should begin fruiting next fall. Fruiting can be forced by soaking the logs in a tank, or you can just be lazy and let them do it in their own time.

Just did a little google research and they claim they are good for your health in many ways.

I have plenty of oak, I could have a mushroom farm.

Do they taste like most other mushrooms?

They are delicious. I cut them up in small bits and just brown them up. Nice nutty/meaty flavor.

They sell for $12.99 a pound in the supermarkets around here.

If you put them in the sun before you cook them, they are supposed to collect a lot of vitamin D. Also supposed to be anti-tumor.

=================

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a boot at this myself. I did just about everything wrong the first time. I'm going to get it closer to right this time. I cut these logs a little too soon from what I've been told. When my next bag of sawdust spawn arrives, I will cut down another tree for it's big limbs. Will need it for firewood anyway. I've been advised to cut my logs after the leaves have fallen and before the buds swell in the spring.

There are many tutorials on line, and probably one for anyone's region.

/ Shiitake Growing On Logs #7  
:thumbsup: Your project has all the qualities of a "Labor of Love". This is just a thought because I have never engaged in growing mushrooms before. Would attaching a hole saw of small diameter to your drill help in drilling the holes? Your work gets a BIG A-PLUS.:):thumbsup:

/ Shiitake Growing On Logs #8  
I will be monitoring your progress if you keep posting. We are planing to start growing these as a business.

Seems Florida is actually a good place to grow them. It was once thought that it was too hot here, but that can be dealt with and we can produce in the winter months.

Also, the time between inoculation and fruiting is much less. Also, we have OAK :thumbsup:

/ Shiitake Growing On Logs #9  
I will be monitoring your progress if you keep posting. We are planing to start growing these as a business.

Seems Florida is actually a good place to grow them. It was once thought that it was too hot here, but that can be dealt with and we can produce in the winter months.

Also, the time between inoculation and fruiting is much less. Also, we have OAK :thumbsup:
If you intend to cultivate mushrooms for farming purposes, you may find this website informative. Shroomery - Shiitake Mushroom Gardening

/ Shiitake Growing On Logs #10  
My wife purchased a kit a couple of years ago and I have been avoiding this project. But the rewards sound great. Thanks for posting and giving me a push to get started.