electric fence charger

/ electric fence charger #1  

Rhon

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC18
Maybe someone here can figure this out. I have a Red Snapper model 88 fence charger that no longer charges the fence. I've replaced the wire so it's one continuous strand from the box to the end. When I put a tester on the wire, it doesn't light up to show a current. If I unhook the wire from the box, and test the lead, it'll light up and if I pull the ground it'll light.

So maybe the ground isn't good any longer? I've been using an 8' ground rod that's about 6' in the ground. The ground wire is two strands of hot wire wound together and clamped to the rod. The fence at this point is dead.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome. I've used up my electrical expertise...

thanks

/ electric fence charger #2  
Copper or galvanized gnd rod? or like many livestock owners you used any old steel rod that was handy? If its steel its probably rusted enough contact has been lost. Galv. or copper you can try pouring a heavy concentration of salt water around the rod to improve continuity. Also drive the rod to its full depth.
you can also try adding another rod (or several) if soil conditions are not providing good electrical contact.
The other possibility of course is the fence charger itself is developing a fault.

/ electric fence charger #3  
Maybe someone here can figure this out. I have a Red Snapper model 88 fence charger that no longer charges the fence. I've replaced the wire so it's one continuous strand from the box to the end. When I put a tester on the wire, it doesn't light up to show a current. If I unhook the wire from the box, and test the lead, it'll light up and if I pull the ground it'll light.
So maybe the ground isn't good any longer? I've been using an 8' ground rod that's about 6' in the ground. The ground wire is two strands of hot wire wound together and clamped to the rod. The fence at this point is dead.
Any suggestions would be more than welcome. I've used up my electrical expertise...
thanks

Sounds like insuffient ground or theres something wrong w/charger.
Is the tester a lite led type or does it read acual current ?
Do you or can you borrow a spare charger to see if other does the same ?
Plus here are other solutions. Parker McCrory Mfg Co

Boone

Good advise given by Charlie IMO.

/ electric fence charger
Galvanized rod that's about 25 years old and the tester is an led one. It seems the charger has been loosing "power" for awhile now. I noticed when one of the horses was testing it to see if it was on and he didn't jump when his nose hit it. The info link was great. I'm going to pickup a couple new ground rods and replace the one old one as well as new clamps and see it that doesn't help.
thanks guys.

/ electric fence charger #5  
CharlieS said:
Copper or galvanized gnd rod? or like many livestock owners you used any old steel rod that was handy? If its steel its probably rusted enough contact has been lost. Galv. or copper you can try pouring a heavy concentration of salt water around the rod to improve continuity. Also drive the rod to its full depth.
you can also try adding another rod (or several) if soil conditions are not providing good electrical contact.
The other possibility of course is the fence charger itself is developing a fault.

If the charger is still putting out electricity,the extra ground rods should work. The ground must be moist.

/ electric fence charger #6  

thanks

Disconnect the ground from the charger andput your tester between the hot connection on the charger and the ground connection on the charger. If that is hot then the ground is most likely the problem. If it's not hot then the charger is the problem.
You live in Maple Valley so the soil should be plenty damp (I used to live in the area) unless your ground rod is under cover. I used to put my ground rods on the drip line of the barn roof (no gutters) to keep them in an area of damp soil.
If the charger is good then if you run another wire parallel to the hot wire and ~ 4-5 inches below it, and connect that to the charger ground connections, your animals will get a shock when they contact both wires.

/ electric fence charger #7  
If the charger is still putting out electricity,the extra ground rods should work. The ground must be moist.

Be careful if planning on moisting ground with actual urine !
Make sure everything un-plugged first. :laughing:

Boone

/ electric fence charger #8  
bullbreaker said:
Be careful if planning on moisting ground with actual urine !
Make sure everything un-plugged first. :laughing:

Boone

I know it sounds funny, but it ain't. I found out by accident when I was around 12.
Ok maybe its funny now, that I can look back.

/ electric fence charger #9  
I used a ground rod, one of those copper coated rods and 12 guage single strand copper wire for my ground source. Actually I think I did two ground rods placed a few feet apart but I can't swear to it without walking out in the dark to check. We may get a few months without rain so I was hoping that would keep the fence working. It seems to always zap for 13 years even through the droughts..

/ electric fence charger #10  
I have been using electric fence for about 35 years now. Chargers are pretty low tech and fool proof. I have only bought three electric fence chargers in 35 years. If I have trouble with the electric fence most times it is with the grounds or the connections to the fence. On the last install of my electric fence I went with three 8' copper ground rods connected in parrallel and all stainless steel connectors. This has been the least troublesome setup that I have ever used.