concrete floor/paint/stain/or polish

/ concrete floor/paint/stain/or polish #1  

weinerdog

have a new concrete floor in a pole barn. I'll be using the barn for vehicle maintenance and storage. contractor has offered to finish the floor by epoxy paint, stain or just polish it. Like what i have heard about the epoxy paint being easy to clean up oil spills but will be using floor jacks with iron wheels and car dollies that have iron wheels, am afraid the iron wheels will scratch the paint off. Am looking for advice about what might be my best option for finishing the floor. It is new concrete so was hoping not to have to etch it as I am on well water dont want to have to use acid take a chance in contaminating the well.. With that said polishing may be my only option. any advice will be appreciated

/ concrete floor/paint/stain/or polish #3  
I epoxied my garage floor and run cars with salty water dripping off them and trailers in it. One trailer loaded with firewood had a tongue jack with a flat bottom on it. I slide it around and made a very slight mark on the floor. That was a couple years ago and I would have a hard time finding it now. I wouldn't hesitate using a heavy floor jack on a good epoxy floor. They are on wheels and they won't dig in. But I wouldn't want to take a 3"x20' piece of angle iron and drag it down the floor. The corners might/probably would scratch it. It is very easy to clean up and looks like new after 5 years.
I considered doing that to my pole building where I have my tractors, but after all the mud and dirt I drag in, I wouldn't be able to see the floor anyway.
Personally, if you don't track much dirt in and don't drag sharp things along the floor. I would. I really beautifies it.
But as with anything, you will get all kinds of views on this forum, but that's mine.

/ concrete floor/paint/stain/or polish #4  
If you do epoxy,from my experience and from what I have read,get a good quality 2 part epoxy.....not the water based single stage they sell at the big box stores. I have had good service from Sherwin Williams product.

/ concrete floor/paint/stain/or polish #5  
The epoxy I used was a 2 part epoxy. One gallon of paint and 1 gallon of other stuff. I think is was Rustoleum or something like that. Whatever it was, it was oil based. I got it at Menards. That is durable. Some kits are 1 gallon of paint and 1 quart of the other stuff, but it doesn't hold up as well. If the contractor is going to put it on, make sure he used then heavy duty stuff, of what ever brand he is using. Don't let him cheap out or you will probably repainting it in a few years.

But, the directions for mine said it was one coat coverage. It covered it alright, but it had darker and lighter blochiness to it. I put a second coat on it and it turned out great, but it took more paint.

Last edited:
   / concrete floor/paint/stain/or polish #6  
I used the Rustolem brand stain, and sealer both water based. scrapes off ()*$&^$ easy it is pure garbage. pulled one engine with NEW hoist on wheels the steel wheels peeled the "Stain" right off it didnt penetrate at all. I etched the heck out of the floor and the temps were great for doing the job. the stain was worthless as far as I can tell...
Brake fluid peels it right off too not to mention trans fluid stained mine as well..

I would find some of the commercial penetrating stain like walmart uses on there floors and then polish it. I think the best stuff is put down with/in the concrete, 2nd best goes down while concrete is wet in a powder form. the rest of the stuff is a paint from what I can tell the BAER stain has as bad of reviews as the Rustolem I used has...

the 2 part epoxy is pretty good from reviews but I wanted the transparent look which I didnt get after a ton of work..
Mark

/ concrete floor/paint/stain/or polish
Contractor uses sherwin Williams. Visited one of our local stores they had used it in a back room where they mix paints manager says they occasionally roll metal drums through the room and do not real waste any time taking care of the floor it was dirty but could see no evidence of the drums scratching thru the surface. It is a two part epoxy. Guess it may be a good product. Thanks for all the inputs

/ concrete floor/paint/stain/or polish #8  
I used the Rustoleum stuff on my floor, and its O.K. The trick is having the floor preped. I had some old cheap paint on mine that I didn't get completely off, so that was my problem. Griot's Garage sells some very high end floor paint that I hear is really good, but its very pricey. I bet its the stuff that really lasts.

/ concrete floor/paint/stain/or polish #9  
I have painted my last two shops with epoxy based paints: the first i used the Rustoleum system you get from HD/Lowes and it looked good going down but did not hold up well at all; my current shop is painted with an industrial epoxy paint i got at Pittsburg Paints, it has held up very well. When you go shopping for epoxy paints look at the labels or spec sheets, the important info to look for is Solids Content, the HD/Lowes kits normally have 35-40% solids while the industrial versions have 75-90%. My father had his garage floor sealed with a standard concrete sealer, but unfortunately the road salt dripping off his vehicles has all but destroyed the sealer so i would make sure if they seal it they use a sealer designed to resist salts.

Two things to consider are:
1. A new concrete floor needs to cure for at least 30 days prior to applying any type of top coat, if there is any moisture still venting from the floor you need to wait or the topcoat is sure to fail. Did you contractor place a vapor barrier under the concrete, if not you may never get a sealer/paint to adhere properly due to the concrete porosity and wicking moisture from the sub soil.
2. A new smooth floor will be slippery if it gets wet or has a lite coat of dust on it, i recommend that if you paint the floor use the paint chips to add some texture to the surface. I applied paint chips over the majority of the shop and then added some of the silica grit to high traffic areas, both added traction but the silica treated area has a significant traction increase but is also harder to keep clean.

This link is to the paint i used on my current shop and will use on my next shop:

http://buyat.ppg.com/rep_pafpainttools_files/dev/pghpaints/tdb/95-1.pdf

This link gives a lot of info on applying epoxy floor coatings:

Epoxy Paint For Garage Floors – Epoxy-Coat.com

/ concrete floor/paint/stain/or polish
Anyone used a concrete stain with a clear epoxy top coat. One of the concrete guys thought it may be better as the stain would absorb into the concrete. Then he says to coat with a clear epoxy. Anyone tried this method?