Irrigation and Gas Powered Water Pump Questions

/ Irrigation and Gas Powered Water Pump Questions #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
Okay, I have several questions. Feel free to answer all, some, or none. Since I have dial-up at home it may be Monday 12/5 before I can reply.:mad:

I am putting in an irrigation system for a small greenhouse, raised beds and small section of yard. I will be mainly pumping out of water storage tanks through sprinklers and drip lines. Reason being I have a well and it will not support this.

First set of questions is: My farm supply has a Pacer 2 inch flow, 195 GPM, 205CC or 5.5 HP Briggs water pump for $269.00. Seems like a good price.

Do you agree? Any one have any experience with this pump?

This link is not my farm supplier but the type of pump I am looking at.

2 In Self-Priming Centrifugal Pump - 195 gpm | Orscheln Farm and Home

He also has one he used to pump liquid fertilizer that has developed a leak. It looses about a gallon every half hour, possibly more with water. He will sell this to me for $75.00; good price? How hard is it to replace seals in this type of pump? Can you replace the pump for low $$? I am thinking about buying both?

The reason I have 4ac of produce and pumpkins I will plant this year and could use those to irrigate. And the river borders this field and two pumps would be handy.

The water tanks:
1100 gal $572.00
465 gal $350.00
300 gal $295.00

I am trying to decide on buying one 1100 gal and one 465 gal or two of the 465 gal. Leaning more towards one 1100 and one 465.

The plan is to set the 1100gal at the greenhouse and raised bed location. Put the 465 gal on a trailer or bed of the F250 fill the 465gal from the river on my property and pump into the 1100 gal tank, 2 trips. The 1100 gal will be full and the 465 gal will be mostly a transfer tank. Then I will pump directly from the tank to the sprinklers and drip lines as needed.

I thought about 2 of the 465 gal but my tractor will not lift 3800lbs out of the truck (weight of the water) and I don't want to tie my equipment trailer up with one of the tanks.

Any problem with the F250 hauling 3800lbs in the bed? Will only be traveling 200 yards on the HWY.

What do you think about this set up...any suggestions?

Thanks
David

Attachments

• Pacer 2.jpg
    Pacer 2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 428
   / Irrigation and Gas Powered Water Pump Questions #2  
Since he was pumping fertilizer, the seals may not be the only issue with the used one. Fertilizer is corrosive and I'm wondering if the whole inside of the pump would be rusty? As far as replacing the pump, I've found it's not economical or sometimes even possible to find the part. The pump can cost up to and beyond half the cost of the whole unit.

/ Irrigation and Gas Powered Water Pump Questions #3  
3800 lbs is alot of weight for a 250. I think I would try and find an old trailer or wagon and mount the tank on it. Wagon would be the best, block the wheels & unhook. Heavy enough wagon and you could put the 1100 gal tank on it and only make 1 trip, as long as you have something to pull it with.

/ Irrigation and Gas Powered Water Pump Questions #4  
I suggest checking on parts availability before buying either pump. A lack of parts availability may be why the $75.00 pump is for sale.

/ Irrigation and Gas Powered Water Pump Questions
Parts seem to be available online.

Not sure about the rust from pumping liquid fert but will check it out. Most likely will only buy the new pump.

I may find a cheap trailer to haul the water tank on. Not sure about 3800# in the bed of the truck...

/ Irrigation and Gas Powered Water Pump Questions #6  
Okay, I have several questions. Feel free to answer all, some, or none. Since I have dial-up at home it may be Monday 12/5 before I can reply.:mad:

I am putting in an irrigation system for a small greenhouse, raised beds and small section of yard. I will be mainly pumping out of water storage tanks through sprinklers and drip lines. Reason being I have a well and it will not support this.

First set of questions is: My farm supply has a Pacer 2 inch flow, 195 GPM, 205CC or 5.5 HP Briggs water pump for $269.00. Seems like a good price.

Do you agree? Any one have any experience with this pump?

This link is not my farm supplier but the type of pump I am looking at.

2 In Self-Priming Centrifugal Pump - 195 gpm | Orscheln Farm and Home

He also has one he used to pump liquid fertilizer that has developed a leak. It looses about a gallon every half hour, possibly more with water. He will sell this to me for $75.00; good price? How hard is it to replace seals in this type of pump? Can you replace the pump for low $$? I am thinking about buying both?

The reason I have 4ac of produce and pumpkins I will plant this year and could use those to irrigate. And the river borders this field and two pumps would be handy.

The water tanks:
1100 gal $572.00
465 gal $350.00
300 gal $295.00

I am trying to decide on buying one 1100 gal and one 465 gal or two of the 465 gal. Leaning more towards one 1100 and one 465.

The plan is to set the 1100gal at the greenhouse and raised bed location. Put the 465 gal on a trailer or bed of the F250 fill the 465gal from the river on my property and pump into the 1100 gal tank, 2 trips. The 1100 gal will be full and the 465 gal will be mostly a transfer tank. Then I will pump directly from the tank to the sprinklers and drip lines as needed.

I thought about 2 of the 465 gal but my tractor will not lift 3800lbs out of the truck (weight of the water) and I don't want to tie my equipment trailer up with one of the tanks.

Any problem with the F250 hauling 3800lbs in the bed? Will only be traveling 200 yards on the HWY.

What do you think about this set up...any suggestions?

Thanks
David

Your F250 is most likely rated for something like 8000 lbs GVW (check the owners manual)and empty it weighs around 6000lbs. 485 g of water weighs 3860 lbs plus the weight of the tank. That's puts it over the rating and overloading it regularly and driving it on rough ground is not a good idea.

Is there anyway you can pump out of the river into a tank and then gravity that down to where you use it? Then you'll only need one tank and the truck haul is out ofthe picture.

/ Irrigation and Gas Powered Water Pump Questions
Is there anyway you can pump out of the river into a tank and then gravity that down to where you use it? Then you'll only need one tank and the truck haul is out ofthe picture.

Don't think so...here is a pic taken of the river from the top of the ridge where the house is.:D

Attachments

• 100_0038_00.jpg
    100_0038_00.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 347
   / Irrigation and Gas Powered Water Pump Questions #8  
Don't think so...here is a pic taken of the river from the top of the ridge where the house is.:D

Yep, if I didn't know better, I'd say you were on top of a pretty big ridge...

/ Irrigation and Gas Powered Water Pump Questions #9  

Yep a tractor an trailer or wagon is your best bet or alot bigger truck

/ Irrigation and Gas Powered Water Pump Questions #10  
Thanks for the pictures.