Looking for info on how to pour a slab

/ Looking for info on how to pour a slab #1  

dablack

Tractor
Kubota B2620
Ok guys. I'm new here. We just bought property in the Rusk TX area and we are planning on building debt free. The first thing I would like to build is a 24x45 garage. I will frame it for garage doors but initially, it will be for living in so we can get out of rent. I'm thinking a story and 1/2 with bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs and then the downstairs will be 100% open. Put cabinets along the long way (oposite of the garage doors) and living / dining will be out in the open. Used fixutures, used windows, used doors.....so and so forth. I would like to get out of rent ASAP.

Anyway, I don't have any problem with the building of the structure, but I have never done any kind of concrete work. I have googled until my eyes hurt but can't really find anything.

Is there a book or website out there for a DIY guy like myself where I can see how to form and prep for the pour. Can I just put forms on solid ground or do I need to dig and put gravel? I just need more info.

thanks
Austin

/ Looking for info on how to pour a slab #2  
Welcome to the forum! I am no expert by any means and cant point you to a website sorry but my advice that I also follow also is always this - dont go w/o steel in your floor or expansion joints beyond that around here they use sand as a base rather than right over solid dirt and footings (stem wall) will give you a better building overall. good luck

We used to spray chlordane on the sand under the pad before pouring concrete and that gave a bug free building for years and years my garage still is bug free after 23 years. Cant buy the stuff now but just sayin if you had some...

/ Looking for info on how to pour a slab #3  
Do a Google on "Slab on Grade", " preparation for concrete slab" , "pouring/finishing concrete slabs", etc. :)

When you are ready to pour have one or two fellows familiar with concrete on your crew. One on the chute and the other finishing. It'll make your day go a lot easier. Try and pick a cool day if that is possible.:)

It surely will be nice having Rent Money go to Materials!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Looking for info on how to pour a slab #4  
Welcome to TBN.

You are going to need a solid foundation to build a story and a half. You'll need drains in the floor for bath and kitchen. You might want to find a small contractor and work with him. Don't forget building inspectors, etc.

Buy some nice rubber boots for when you pour and have fun!

/ Looking for info on how to pour a slab #5  
The free way to get started, to get some understanding, would be to go to a nearby home being built (if there are any :() in its early stages, before the slab has been poured, & watch it being done in person.

Ask questions of anybody there who will listen & respond.

/ Looking for info on how to pour a slab
Thanks everyone. The suggested google searches are helping gain a better understanding.

Also, I'm going to try and contact a couple of the local contractors and see if I can help with any concrete work. Doesn't look like it is rocket science so with a little hands on I will feel confortable doing all the work and then just have a crew come in and pour it.

Once I start building I will take lots of photos and keep everyone up to date.

thanks
Austin

/ Looking for info on how to pour a slab #7  
Don't forget a footing. If the soil has been cultivated in the past, a little bit of extra rebar might save some later heart-ache?It really depends on how much weight you put on it? Plus, don't forget soil compaction after you dig and put in drains, or conduits..

/ Looking for info on how to pour a slab #8  
BTW, aside from watching the pro's build a form & pour a slab, it would be wise to get an engineer involved to review your drawings & dictate the things that need dictating :) because a concrete slab is not a place where it OK to make a mistake; no good way to fix it. Later on framing, plumbing, wiring, yes, some of those things can be corrected (as long as you haven't flooded or burned the place down :(), but once concrete's done, it's pretty much done ... unless you want to have to use a jackhammer.

Engineers don't cost that much. Especially compared to the possible downsides.

/ Looking for info on how to pour a slab #9  
Everything the others said about footings and rebar and so on is good stuff. But when that truck gets there and starts dumping, you better have somebody that has done that quite a bit to help you out. The finish on the floor is something that takes practice to get correct, even if you are handy. Doing half of the floor will take at least 3 people to make it turn out and one has to know what they are doing.

In northern Wisconsin a man was going to pour his garage floor and was the first time he poured concrete and he ordered two 10 yard trucks. The first truck came and he had forms up as I understand, but he had the driver dump the load in the middle of it. Just dump it in a pile. A neighbor happened to be going past and stopped in and found he was all alone and had never poured concrete. He said he was going to just do it at his leisure. The neighbor got him in gear and they just started throwing it around to try to get it kind of flat, and it you know anything at all about concrete you know you have a bid mess then anyway, but at least he could drive on it. I guess they caught it before the other truck took off so that was fine.

/ Looking for info on how to pour a slab #10  
I am by no means an expert, but a 24x45 floor is large and will take a lot of work. If you and some friends (3 or 4) are in good shape you can do the work, but I would have someone experienced in pouring on site and have it inspected before you start. You will want it poured right the first time and last a lifetime.

Eddie