Ridgid Tool Warranty Review:

/ Ridgid Tool Warranty Review: #1  

MotorSeven

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE Hydro
This drill is part of my log home project tools, so I thought I'd post this here.

Last Dec I bought a Ridgid 24v combo kit from HD online and have been using it almost every day for 5 months on my build. I already have their air framer and staple gun, so I registered the new drill with Ridgid like the others. I have used the nail guns for a few years and have not needed their warranty, however while doing all the rough-in plumbing I burned the motor up on the drill. I mean it seized and smoke continued to curl up out of it for 10 min. I was using a 3/4" spade bit, different hole saws etc and drilling a lot of holes.

So I took it to a authorized Ridgid repair center about an hr away in Jefferson City. They had it about two weeks and advised that they would not fix it because the motor was burned up and the repair was more than the drill(no surprise there). I asked what Ridgid's policy was and they said they have 30 days to replace it. Hmmm, I thought, 30 days and I know they don't make the 24v anymore, so I was concerned how this would all end.

A week later(yesterday) FedX dropped off a brand new Ridgid 18v drill kit.....drill, 2 Lithium batterys, a charger and a carry bag:cool2:
This was all done with zero cost to me. The original combo kit was $200 and the drill kit they just sent is just about the same price. So, I think they held up their end of the bargain and I will continue to buy Ridgid tools :thumbsup:

/ Ridgid Tool Warranty Review: #2  
That's good. It's been a few years but I got that kind of service in the past from the local Black & Decker service center.

/ Ridgid Tool Warranty Review: #3  
Why anyone would buy ANY other make of tool is beyond me!

You pay big $$ for some of the top brands and they don't back their products

Rigid tools in my opinion are a world reputable brand and they have the best warranty out there (ok harbor freight/princess auto may be better) but the tool quality cannot compare

The only thing I have ever heard negatively said about RIGID is when people do not follow the included registration instructions

1. Copy of original receipt
2. Place an arrow beside the qualifying purchase
3. Fill out enclosed card or register online
4. Cut out UPC
5. Mail to required address

/ Ridgid Tool Warranty Review: #4  
I bought a Rigid 18 volt combo set (drill and drill driver) that was clearly a demonstration set. You could tell that the 2 units had been used somewhat, which was fine based on the lifetime warranty. Having registered the warranty, I had the set for about a year when neither of the 2 batteries would hold a charge.

Went back to the store, and they advised that the warranty center was about 20 minutes away. What a concept...a warranty center that you could drive to, that you didn't have to pay the shipping to...amazing.

Anyway, took the whole shooting match to the warranty center, and they checked out both the drill, the driver, both batteries and the charging unit and concluded as had I, that the batteries were cooked.

I received 2 brand new batteries without comment, just had to sign the receipt.

After reviewing Popular Mechanics regular tests of power tools, Rigid tools seem to be within the top 3 of any number of tools tested, and frequently top rated.

Frankly, as has already been said...considering the price, the warranty and the fact you don't have to mail the product back to Rigid tells me one thing, I'll continue to consider Rigid products as the first choice of power tools for replacement of worn out tool, or updating. In fact, this past week, I bought a brand new Rigid brad nailer - which I have quickly found to be a far cry superior to the previous non-name, Chinese product that just died an early death.

Can't recommend any stronger...:thumbsup:

/ Ridgid Tool Warranty Review: #5  
The only tools that I have ever owned that were made by Rigid, were their pipe wrenches. I have 3 sizes of them. I bought them in the early 70's and I still use them. They are sturdy and well made. We used to call pipe wrenches-"monkey wrenches". Rigid definetly makes great tools.:thumbsup:

/ Ridgid Tool Warranty Review: #6  
The only tools that I have ever owned that were made by Rigid, were their pipe wrenches. I have 3 sizes of them. I bought them in the early 70's and I still use them. They are sturdy and well made. We used to call pipe wrenches-"monkey wrenches". Rigid definetly makes great tools.:thumbsup:

RIDGID Pipe Tools and a Ridgid Battery Power Tools are made by different companies. RIDGID, a division of Emerson, has always made and continues to make their line of pipe tools. They have a well deserved reputation for quality and an organization that stands behind their products.

The woodworking stationary power tools (table saws, band saws, jointer, etc.) were made by Emerson (who also made many of the Craftsman line stationary power tools for Sears for many years) in the past but are now and since some time in 2003 made by TTI and sold under the Ridgid brand name at Home Depot stores. TTI also markets tools under a few of their own brand names; Milwaukee, AEG (in Europe), RYOBI, Homelite, and a few others.

TTI also makes the RIDGID cordless battery powered tools. Their LSA (Lifetime Service Agreement) is a good deal. You do need to jump through the hoops and get it registered but once that is done you covered even for your batteries which is where the expense is. With replacement batteries running between $60 and $100 depending on the capacity that can add up fast. Most manufacturers consider batteries a consumable item with limited life. You get so many charges before performance starts to drop off and eventually they no longer work at all. RIDGID/TTI will replace your batteries if they have been registered properly as part of the LSA. This registration is in addition to your normal serial number registration of the tool. Make sure you follow the instructions to get the full benefit of the LSA.

/ Ridgid Tool Warranty Review: #7  
I bought a ridgid set a few years back, and those tools were my primary tools for a complete refurb of my house. When finished, I'd about used up the batteries. Off to the service center, and a no questions asked exchange. Can't beat that. A few hoops to jump through to get the LSA going, but great service after that.

/ Ridgid Tool Warranty Review:
I am still surprised that the batteries are warranted. Nobody else has lifetime replacement batteries and I am curious as to how long they will continue to offer this. I do have 5-6 Porter Cable NiCad 19.2 volt batteries that are pushing 10 years old. Most still work fine, but a few only last a short time & they sure don't own me a thing.

/ Ridgid Tool Warranty Review: #9  
I am still surprised that the batteries are warranted. Nobody else has lifetime replacement batteries and I am curious as to how long they will continue to offer this. I do have 5-6 Porter Cable NiCad 19.2 volt batteries that are pushing 10 years old. Most still work fine, but a few only last a short time & they sure don't own me a thing.

My 7.2v Makita drill was given to me in 2002 by the widow of a friend who had it when he died. I have no idea how old it is, but the battery was dead; would not take a charge. A new battery cost $30.47 plus tax and when I found that it worked fine, I bought a second battery. So my batteries are getting close to 10 years old also and still going strong. But I also noticed that Batteries Plus now has those batteries for $28.49.

/ Ridgid Tool Warranty Review:
Update,

Well, last week while I was out of town another drill set arrived on my doorstep:confused: My son in law is here helping on the house and started using it right away. Once I got home and realized what happened I called Ridgid but was put on Eternal Hold" so I sent them this email:

"Hello, in Nov 2011 I sent in a 24V drill for repair to S&S Powersports in Jefferson City TN. A couple of weeks later I was told by them the drill could not be repaired. On 121011 I received a replacement drill direct from Ridgid. Then last week another replacement drill arrived via FedX. I was out of town but my son in law here thought I had bought another drill(we are building my log house) so he began using it.
So it seems Ridgid made a mistake and I need to know what you want me to do? I would be glad to pay for the second drill since it has been used, so just let me know. "

I'm not too good at handling mistakes in my favor...doesn't happen too often:laughing: