I need a good paint gun any ideas

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #11  
A Devilbiss FinishLine is a respectable gun for your price range.

I have a three Sata's I use for clear, base and primer. I also have a off brand I use for gelcoat or any other hard on a gun liquid.

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #12  
I am looking for a new HVLP paint gun and the gun I am looking at is Devilbiss FinishLine Gravity Feed Spray Gun Kit - Waterborne. Dose any one have this gun and can tell me pros and cons .If someone has a gun they like tell me about it . I would like to stay in the $200. range Max and this gun will be for all paints oils and the new waters .

Get a $30 HVLP gun gravity feed gun from Harbor Freight. I've used them to repaint tractors that I restore.

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #14  
Ford Farm Boy,

What kind of results are you after? Some people don't think twice about brush painting their tractors, and others (myself included) want a mirrior finish on the sheetmetal.

If you are serious about learning to do body and paint work, then you need to invest in some good equipment. First of all, if you are after truely good results, you will need to buy quality paint. Quality paint is too expensive to waste making mistakes with junk equipment. You can take my advice now and save money in the long run, or learn the hard way.

1. You will need a good compressor (atleast 10CFM bare minimum) with a properly designed water trap and filter. The #1 mistake is putting the water trap too close to the compressor. The air needs to cool and allow the moisture to condense before it hits the water trap. Do some research on this topic.

2. You need a decent gun. The Devilbiss would be fine. Those cheap guns work ok for tractors, but the fan is small and they waste a lot of paint. Try doing a hood or roof on a vehicle, and you will find out really fast why you need a decent gun (uneven paint application will result in stripes). Not to mention, the small fan slows down the whole process, so it is even harder to keep a wet edge.

3. There are a lot of sub-standard paint products on the market. Do your research and use good paint. What ever you do, do not take a paint store's word for it. I use mostly Southern Polyurethanes products. Look them up at southernpolyurethanes.com. The user forum is THE PLACE TO GO if you are serious about painting. I gurantee you, the guys on that forum will get you pointed in the right direction.

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #15  
I painted my 5 foot finish mower with a Harbor Freight HVLP conversion gun using Valspar and catalyst from TSC. No orange peal. Proper thinning, temperature, speed of gun, distance from work surface, gun adjustments all affect orange peal. No fading in a few years on the mower (but it is stored inthe garage ;-)). Any time I get a smooth job I am surprised and pleased. A few of my paint jobs on cars have laid down rather nicely, some not so great.

Note that when you use catalysts there are all kinds of safety warnings. Use proper respirator or breathing aparatus, wear long sleeved clothes or Tyvec suit. Consider your life span one month less after every improper spray session. Actually I do not know what your lifespan is when you don't properly protect yourself but some paints have some serious side effects like brain damage and lung death.

I also have a Binks or Devilbiss in the basement someplace that I have painted a lot more with than the cheap HF gun. Far from an expert.