I need a good paint gun any ideas

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #1  

ford farm boy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mx5100,9N,ford 2000
I am looking for a new HVLP paint gun and the gun I am looking at is Devilbiss FinishLine Gravity Feed Spray Gun Kit - Waterborne. Dose any one have this gun and can tell me pros and cons .If someone has a gun they like tell me about it . I would like to stay in the $200. range Max and this gun will be for all paints oils and the new waters .

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #2  
What are you painting have you done a lot of painting
the reason i'm asking is amazing things can be done with a cheap gun I have a 3in one cheapo kit from auto zone I've used for 5 years painted hundreds of tractors and trucks. works great I just clean real good when I'm thru.

A $1000 gun doesn't make a good paint job

I have a $650 gun used once repainted that truck

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #3  
What are you painting have you done a lot of painting
the reason i'm asking is amazing things can be done with a cheap gun I have a 3in one cheapo kit from auto zone I've used for 5 years painted hundreds of tractors and trucks. works great I just clean real good when I'm thru.

A $1000 gun doesn't make a good paint job

I have a $650 gun used once repainted that truck

Good questions....I have a Binks HVLP that's probably 12 years old and that thing lays down some paint...Big thing is what you're used to and you didn't really say. An HVLP doesn't behave anything like a siphon gun...So take that into consideration

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #4  
Depends. If you want to paint latex paint get one of the Gracos at the home center--you'll spend about 300 for a good one and it will put down nice coats of latex interior or exterior with no thinning.

If you want to paint woodwork or cars, you've got basically two choices: a conversion gun or a turbine--I've got and used both. conversion uses compressed air--you need a lot of CFM but you keep the pressure pretty low (like 20psi). It typically takes a BIG compressor to keep up with the gun. A turbine is a good alternative--it has a built in air supply and a gun. I am this week doing some Christmas presents varnishing with a Earlex 5500 and am very satisfied with the quality. Can spray water-based poly or solvent-based. Clean up is easy and the whole kit is under $400; of course you will possibly need other needle sizes so those are about $35 each (there are only 3 sizes; the gun comes with one).

finally you will need a respirator if you value your health. Make sure you get one that is suitable for solvents not just dust.

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas
Thanks for all info. But for right now I am painting tractors and other farm equipment and hope some day autos . I have been using enamel from TSC with the catalyst in a HF gun . The orange peel is always a problem to deal with and I think a bigger needle will help so just thinking buy a better gun . The Devilbiss FinishLine Gravity Feed Spray Gun Kit - Waterborne Is the gun that I am looking at it has 3 needles 1.3 1.5 1.8 and says it is good for the new waterborne paint.

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #6  
P1010263.JPG

I sprayed this with my IWATA LPH-400. It is a top of the line gun, if that is what you are looking for.

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #7  
I have some experience with painting cars and equipment. That being said TSC paint is the worst for durability good enought for resale but not for tractors /equipment to keep. I have a mid grade binks hvlp and a old number 7 binks, Quality paint works better with either gun.

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #8  
A lot of good advice here so far.

1. Valspar from tractor supply completely unacceptable by automotive standards. However, with proper surface prep and primer underneath, it is probably better than what the tractor had from the factory (see rusty Kubota thread).

2. If rust protection is your number one concern use a good epoxy primer, then paint. If used properly, it will also provide superior paint adhesion.

3. There is no product that will substitute for proper surface preparation. Bare metal should have 80 grit sanding scratches. A wire brushed surface is too smooth for proper adhesion. Always use a good wax and grease remover before paint (never lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, acetone, or anything else).

4. Orange peel is usually caused by improper gun setup or spraying technique. In your case, the ratio of thinner to paint is also a likely cause. Valspar does not give any recommendations for the paint/thinner ratio, so like most people, you are probably using trial and error. I would have to check my notes, but I think I ended up using a 6:1 ratio, last time I sprayed tractor paint. I don't recommend Valspar, but go price a gallon of red single stage urethane and Valspar from TSC might not sound so bad after all... If the tractor is worth it, use good paint.

5. Do you need a good gun? The Divilbiss is a decent middle of the road gun. There is no question that you would be able to produce excellent results with it. Most of the pros I know are using IWATA or SATA guns for color and clear. If you end up getting more into automotive work, you could keep the Divilibss for primer and then get an IWATA for base and clear.

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #9  
I've got a $50 Harbor Freight HVLP gun. Painted my whole tractor with it. Looks as good as new. Glad I didn't spend the money for something more expensive since I got what I wanted in the end, and I'm nit-picky about how my tractor looks.

For whatever that's worth.

/ I need a good paint gun any ideas #10  
I use Sata HVLP's dedicated to either clear or paint or sealer and a bunch of Sata clones for automotive paints they all work nice if kept clean.

The name brand guns are easily rebuild-able and maybe not so on the clones ymmv on that.

The clones if you are after less than $200 are going to be the best bang for the buck as a starter gun and you can buy them at any wholesale autobody supply.

Bare metal needs an etching primer be that euro primer or 2k urethane or epoxy besides a clean properly sanded surface and make sure any 2k spot putty used over bare metal is etching most are now but its good to ask before hand, bondo always has been btw. hth