LED flashlights for tractor lighting - Will it work??!!!

/ LED flashlights for tractor lighting - Will it work??!!! #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
Well, we're gonna find out. Preliminary write-up/ plan here, with pics, results & discussion to follow.

I bought a couple 3-packs of small but very bright handheld LED flashlights at HD. (The package comes with the 3 flashlights, 2 of the strap-on LED head lights, & 15 Everyready AAA batteries (3 for each light) for $14.00)

These little flashlights are very impressive! It dawned on me that I might able to line them up & mount them on my tractor's roof for added lighting since the loader blocks the headlights.

I've been hesitant to buy the standard fixed LED lighting units because 1) they are darn expensive, and 2) I wasn't sure what the beam result would look like or how bright they'd be. If I knew for sure I'd be happy with what I'd be getting, I'd pony up.

I'm going to attach 6 of these flashlights to a 2x4 & bolt that to my tractor roof with a single lag bolt going into each end of the 2x4 so that I can just reach up & pivot the whole thing up or down in order to focus the light where I want it in front of the tractor (in closer or out further away). Also, each flashlight will be mounted separately on a single bolt so I can rotate each one to point where I want it. I envision all 6 being oriented evenly across the front of the tractor for a somewhat uniform amount of light.

Last night I turned off my headlights & drove around using just one of these flashlights, & it was amazing. That 1 flashlight is as bright, or maybe even a little brighter than, my Kubota OEM headlights. I'm excited to see the light output of 6 of these.

The on/off button is on the back of the flashlight, so I will have to reach up & hit 6 buttons if I want all 6 on at once. On the other hand, there may be times when I don't need all of them. We shall see.

Like many flashlights, these allow you to focus or widen the beam by turning the lens end of the flashlight.

Some things I wonder about:

- How long will the AAA batteries will last? I may wish these could be wired into the Kubota 12V system, & if I love this setup, I'll look into that.

- Will the flashlights stand up to the sometimes harsh bouncing of the tractor?

Anyway, pics & results to follow ... Do ya'll think it'll work?

The 2x4 mount will be bolted between the two vertical 2x4's in this poor pic I tried to draft up:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 4,855
Last edited:
   / LED flashlights for tractor lighting - Will it work??!!! #2  
I'm a little confused on the purpose, is to have extra light to see or for safety purposes like a flashing light so people can see you?

Anyway I would expect it to work all right - it will brighten things up but in the long term I would get some actual LED headlights to wire around the top and wire it into the switch.

I would be curious to see how heavy duty your flashlights are seeing they are brighter then the Kubota's - I couldn't imagine that great of battery life - especially with them being AA's but I guess only time will tell.

/ LED flashlights for tractor lighting - Will it work??!!!
I'm a little confused on the purpose, is to have extra light to see or for safety purposes like a flashing light so people can see you?

They're to help light my way. Sometimes I mow after dark, & the loader blocks the headlights. These lights will shine from a much higher location than the headlights, therefore will shine over the loader.

I would be curious to see how heavy duty your flashlights are seeing they are brighter then the Kubota's - I couldn't imagine that great of battery life - especially with them being AA's but I guess only time will tell.

These little things are shocking as to their brightness. I don't know how to rate them as to "heavy duty" or whatever, but when one of them is equal to or greater than the Kubota headlights, that should give you an idea.

/ LED flashlights for tractor lighting - Will it work??!!! #4  
beppington said:
They're to help light my way. Sometimes I mow after dark, & the loader blocks the headlights. These lights will shine from a much higher location than the headlights, therefore will shine over the loader.

These little things are shocking as to their brightness. I don't know how to rate them as to "heavy duty" or whatever, but when one of them is equal to or greater than the Kubota headlights, that should give you an idea.

I see. I have the same problem but have yet to do anything to fix it. Mines usually snow plowing though. And by heavy duty I meant bright. They must be pretty well made to outshine the Kubotas though!

Be sure to give an update after you get some more use though - if it works well I might due the same!

/ LED flashlights for tractor lighting - Will it work??!!! #5  
LED do not "throw" a great distance. It is due to bulb design that is currently being worked out. To create a throw, wattage and numbers of bulbs are increased. Many people find staring down an LED light to be much more painful / bright at the same distance to a comparable incandescent bulb.

Might I suggest that you approach this differently. If you want, check on Ebay for led lights. I just bought a set of 60 LED flashing lights (Flashing has NOTHING to do with the light, it is the controller) and installed them as reverse lights on my quad. They came from China which is something I have started to change in my word, but they were $20 with shipping. Simple 12 volt wiring and an outdoor rated switch and I am in very bright business.

I did have to run a bead of caulk around the housing, but they work quite well.

Adding another note. I do not feel cheap LED's are ready for primetime. The good "work" led's are around $100. I am referring to design and comparison with an incandescent style flood lamp for automotive use.

Finally, I moved my lights to my canopy and am SO happy. With an FEL usual placement of lights are a waste IMO.

Carl

/ LED flashlights for tractor lighting - Will it work??!!! #6  
Hi, I hope this will help you :)

I recently put 6 LED's in my Lawn Tractor (See Pix below). Got them on Ebay for $6.45 for 2 of them. It's called H7 Car 102 3020 Chip SMD LED about 400Lumen each Example... Ebay Item number: 330661662827.

NOTE: Do NOT get the one that is 3528 Chip SMD LED, they suck alot of power and give you less light.

I made 2 just regular light, and then 4 on High Beam with a switch on my Tractor. Mouse over the Pix to see Descriptions and Info. Also I enclosed a Sample of Solar Light Encloser I remade, maybe give you some idea...

I suggest you to buy the 10W LED Spotlight / Floodlight (Last Pix) also it's Waterproof, it's cheaper $24.00 on Ebay (Even Cheaper now $19.00 Item number:120827918357) and you can just hook it to your 12V Lights on your Tractor, just put a switch so you can turn off and on that is all, also rated at 1000Lumen Cool White, which is bright and I might put it on mine soon... For Back Up in the Snow Storm :)

I think you bought what I did at HD, it's called CREE LED if i'm correct. They are bright for their 1W. But they said the Battery will last only 2 Hours most, for 3xAAA. Another thing you can do with these is Connect them in Series... That way you can use them right from your Tractor 12V. Just connect them 3 each since they are rated 4.5V per bulb.

Any questions, just ask... I have done bunch of LED's... Including my house and I have pix to prove it, LOL

Hope that will help!

Attachments

• Low_Beam_No_Flash.JPG
    Low_Beam_No_Flash.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 315
  • High_Beam_No_Flash.JPG
    High_Beam_No_Flash.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 302
  • Low_Beam_With_Flash.JPG
    Low_Beam_With_Flash.JPG
    359.7 KB · Views: 238
  • High_Beam_With_Flash.JPG
    High_Beam_With_Flash.JPG
    405.1 KB · Views: 265
  • Sample_1.jpg
    Sample_1.jpg
    999.9 KB · Views: 314
  • Bulb.JPG
    Bulb.JPG
    370.3 KB · Views: 373
  • 15_Feet_High_Beam.JPG
    15_Feet_High_Beam.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 15_Feet_Low_Beam.JPG
    15_Feet_Low_Beam.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 10W_Spotlight.jpg
    10W_Spotlight.jpg
    998.7 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
The flashlights mounted to the 2x4 (2x4 not cut to length yet; or painted!):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7552 flashlights.jpg
    IMG_7552 flashlights.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 2,622
  • IMG_7554 flashlights.jpg
    IMG_7554 flashlights.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,942
   / LED flashlights for tractor lighting - Will it work??!!! #8  
Those lights look like one I have a buddy gave me. He got a 3 pack at costco and I will say these lights are IMPRESSIVE for the price. Very very bright. Does yours have 3 brightness sightings?

Those lights look like one I have a buddy gave me. He got a 3 pack at costco and I will say these lights are IMPRESSIVE for the price. Very very bright. Does yours have 3 brightness sightings?

I agree on the brightness being impressive! ... but no, they only have on / off.

I cut the 2x4 to length & mounted it last night, but it was cold as a _____ ... yes, even here in FL! ... so I'll take pics of the mount & the light results ASAP.

/ LED flashlights for tractor lighting - Will it work??!!! #10  
beppington
I've Quite a few of those same lights you are using . I'm mostly using them on firearms as they have a 1" OD housing and fit in "scope" rings easily. Some of the ones I have, have the on/off button on the end and can be swapped out to a pressure switch.I'm not sure you will get the throw out of them ?
And you'll probably need to stock up on batteries . But the Idea of being able to have a mounted flash light on the tractor that can be removed and used @ the machines is goodto have.
A few months back I bought a black 4 M candle power spot light @ tractor supply~$20 It was a p.o.s. Retured it and bought a 3 million candle power with a silver housing for $8.00 and it was a much better light. It's 12V rechargable and cig lighter plugable throws a beam out 300-400 yards x 30 yards flood.I have 2 100watt K/C lights on my tractor already but if they burn out I'll be using one of these spots on it then.
Ak9