Circular paver driveway

/ Circular paver driveway #21  
I'm thinking that you were waiting for Ron to come down and help.:laughing:

The 2 of you could knock it out in a few days.

Don, when I see them lay those on TV, they usually lay them edge to edge (with no gap) unless in a small circle where they don't mate up exactly. Then they put the sand down and use the vibrator to get the sand to fill in the small cracks.

/ Circular paver driveway #22  
Always like the old world look of pavers...

I know it will be superb!!!

/ Circular paver driveway #23  
Since the drive-way pavers require a 1/4 inch space in-between each paver ...

I've never heard this before. Does Acme say this on their instructions?

My understanding is that for the pavers to have strength, they have to touch. There is a small ridge on the sides to give you the perfect gap, but moe would mean that they can move around once the sand washes out.

Eddie

/ Circular paver driveway
I'm thinking that you were waiting for Ron to come down and help.:laughing:

The 2 of you could knock it out in a few days.

Don, when I see them lay those on TV, they usually lay them edge to edge (with no gap) unless in a small circle where they don't mate up exactly. Then they put the sand down and use the vibrator to get the sand to fill in the small cracks.

Ron's skipping past Lee County till I'm done.

These are not the kind to lay edge to edge. (no ridges Eddie) They are not tapered on top, have flat sides and are cut so a perfect square requires 1/4" spacing. It is a pain in getting the spacing equal, I have cut about 100 1/4 inch spacers to help. The variance can be up to 1/2" but then I start to use a lot of polymer sand. These are the more difficult ones to lay. I do need a slight variance between each paver around the curve and I can add it easily with the required spacing. hopefully it will eliminate cutting a lot of them. If I measured the distance between the curbs right I'll only have to cut the pavers on the cross curbs and an occasional one on the curve to get the stagger right. That's plan one anyway.

/ Circular paver driveway #25  
I also haven't heard of needing to leave a space in pavers. Just jam them tight together & then keep sweeping sand across the pavers until all the cracks are filled. I still don't understand how yours would be different than that.

/ Circular paver driveway #26  
Thanks Don. It's always fun to learn about something new. I've done some work with pavers, but not a lot.

Are you going to go all the way to the gate?

Eddie

/ Circular paver driveway #27  
Ron's skipping past Lee County till I'm done.
Don and I had a great phone conversation the other day. I offered to bring my motorhome up to his place and try out the new drive in April. He thought it would be a good idea until I told him what happened to my pavers where I park the motorhome at my place. After 5 years the rear dual axle has dropped the pavers down about 2 to 3 inches. I have been banned from bring the motorhome to his circular drive. :confused2: :D

/ Circular paver driveway
Are you going to go all the way to the gate?

Eddie

No just a little circle. To the front gate would be 4.5 pavers (per square foot)x10 feet wide =45 pavers per foot X 2,500 feet = 112,500 pavers + 4,000 bags of cement for curbing and 15,000 feet of rebar, and another 20 years at the pace I work.:D

Beepington, put together thees pavers are so tight there would be no space for sand and the top edges would chip, there is no bevel. I'll get a picture later of the difference. When I bought them I did not realize they were the spaced pavers but my house builder and the rock layer confirmed this.

/ Circular paver driveway #29  
Don, I'm sure it will look awesome when you are done. Is Whipper keeping a close eye on quality control whilst pulling snake lookout duty? I'm betting that your lower back and knees aren't seeing things as humorous as this thread.

The secret to these types of jobs, is to have a "stand up" helper. While you are on your knees, they hand you your next paver or go make the cuts needed thus, you don't have to get up and down so much. Also, a good pair of gloves to keep your fingertips where they belong.

/ Circular paver driveway #30  
+ 4,000 bags of cement for curbing ...

I was joking about the driveway, but you surprised me by saying you used bags of cement for your curbing. Did you really buy it by the bag, mix it and pour it this way?

How many bags did you buy? Was it the premium stuff? Any idea of how many yards it was?

Eddie