Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 1947 Farmall A John Deere Z910

Default Re: Circular paver driveway

Eddie, the bendable metal frame for the curbing was 40'X6" ( and 8-16" wide). It took a pallet (42 bags) for each section. I used many pallets, I lost count, the curbing took 1 bag per foot. I mixed two bags at a time in my mixer and the 40 foot pour takes 2 hours. The set up, measuring/framing/leveling, took several days for each 40'.

Kyle, The dog did not behave. I had to put up a temporary fence after each pour. On the last pour she jumped the fence, after I had gone in for the night, and it has about 20 permanent dog paws indentions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -curb1-jpg   -curba-jpg   -curbb-jpg  
    Last edited by txdon; 01-01-2012 at 02:20 AM.
    TXDon

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Don, did mixing it that way make it cheaper? I can sure see how it could be considered a "cardio" workout though

I admire your tenacity, (the Porch area looks great too!)
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Tractor
    Kub - 2K6, B7800

Looks better and better
    ** Kubota **

Psalms 86
    John 1:12-13

Duraflap / Kaydenco not worth a hoot for service or products.

"Google" is a proper noun, not a verb.

If you mean what you say, then say what you mean, or just don't say anything

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Don, did mixing it that way make it cheaper? I can sure see how it could be considered a "cardio" workout though
    Western, I didn't compare prices. I had only 40' of metal framing and that is all I could pour at one time and that would not be enough for a truck.

Here are some pics that show the difference between my drive way pavers (thicker) that require 1/4" spacing and Lowe's sidewalk pavers (thinner) that have side protrusions and the a beveled top that require no spacing.

The last picture is the front porch with the 1/4" spacing driveway pavers filled with polymer sand that has solidified.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -comp1-jpg   -comp2-jpg   -comp3-jpg   -comp4-jpg  
    TXDon

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Quote Originally Posted by txdon View Post
    Kyle, The dog did not behave. I had to put up a temporary fence after each pour. On the last pour she jumped the fence, after I had gone in for the night, and it has about 20 permanent dog paws indentions.
    She just wanted to leave her mark "In Stone" for all that snake protecting she's been doing.
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Here

I see the paver difference now, Don. Still not quite sure why the ones you're using couldn't be jammed tight against each - Would the corners break? Sand wouldn't fill in between them?

Anyway, we also did a big concrete job with bags: 11 pallets worth! (from Home Depot)

My dad wanted to pour a driveway extension, & there was no way for a concrete truck to access it without driving on & probably breaking the existing concrete drive ... & he didn't want to hire a concrete pumper, I guess since we're DIY kinda guys ... so we used my electric mixer. We strapped the mixer to my dad's FEL. Mix 3 bags at a time, then drive the tractor to the dump spot & un-curl the loader to dump it. Took many, many trips of that, but worked fine.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L-35

Here are some pics that show the difference between my drive way pavers (thicker) that require 1/4" spacing and Lowe's sidewalk pavers (thinner) that have side protrusions and the a beveled top that require no spacing.
    Uneducated comment, It appears that one is cement and one is clay?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

I will try to lay 1000 pavers a week and hopefully be done in 10 weeks. This makes my wife laugh considering I'm already 18 months into this project.
    pavers are much more common here in Holland, we tend to lay 100m2 of pavers per man, per day. Just farmers doing their own pavement...
    In your circular driveway, i would just begin on the outside radius and lay on the inside of each previous pass, putting in halves or 3/4 where necessary to remain the overlap between the rows. When laying circular as well, laying 15.000 pavers of guess 10x20cm (4x8") is no more than 30 man-days.... so with 2 people laying and 3 on the wheelbarrow to tip them as closely to the worksite as possible (so the men laying never have to get off their hands and feet unless for coffee break) we'd do it with family and friends (which have to milk cows or feed cattle in the morning and evening, so short days) in 6 workdays.

You do get sore, but rather being sore and getting things done with a bunch of friends and family whilst having a beer at the end of each workday, than spending 10 weeks on the same boring job, alone...
    Last edited by Renze; 01-01-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Free scrap is a good investment !!!
    “The worst enemy of life, freedom and the common decencies is total anarchy; their second worst enemy is total efficiency” · Aldous Huxley
    1998 Volvo S70 2.5 TDI
    2007 Volvo 440 1.9 TD based dirt buggy

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Renze View Post
    In your circular driveway, i would just begin on the outside radius and lay on the inside of each previous pass, putting in halves or 3/4 where necessary to remain the overlap between the rows.
    Renze, I was just thinking trying to think of the best place to start and will be using your method.

GT2, I believe that is a correct observation! The Driveway (Acme) pavers are clay based.

Beepington - That is exactly right, the edges would break, or cause a tripping hazard if not perfectly aligned and there would be no space for sand when they fit that tight. The 1/4" sand space becomes the bevel.

Kyle, you got that right! She hates snakes, just like Eddie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -whipprotecting-jpg  
    TXDon

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    CNH 4020

Don, I see you have rebar in your curb. Do you have some verticals in the pour every once in a while that go down into your sandy ground or are you
    depending on the weight of the concrete to control lateral shifting and or frost heave?
    A vehicle's weight operating in that tight curve will create a lot of force toward the outside. Your doing a great job and the design goes very well with your house.
    Ron

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast