Circular paver driveway

/ Circular paver driveway
Eddie, the bendable metal frame for the curbing was 40'X6" ( and 8-16" wide). It took a pallet (42 bags) for each section. I used many pallets, I lost count, the curbing took 1 bag per foot. I mixed two bags at a time in my mixer and the 40 foot pour takes 2 hours. The set up, measuring/framing/leveling, took several days for each 40'.

Kyle, The dog did not behave. I had to put up a temporary fence after each pour. On the last pour she jumped the fence, after I had gone in for the night, and it has about 20 permanent dog paws indentions.

Attachments

• curb1.jpg
    curb1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 404
  • curba.jpg
    curba.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 447
  • curbb.jpg
    curbb.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
   / Circular paver driveway #32  
Don, did mixing it that way make it cheaper? I can sure see how it could be considered a "cardio" workout though:thumbsup:

I admire your tenacity, (the Porch area looks great too!)

/ Circular paver driveway #33  
Looks better and better

Don, did mixing it that way make it cheaper? I can sure see how it could be considered a "cardio" workout though:thumbsup:

Western, I didn't compare prices. I had only 40' of metal framing and that is all I could pour at one time and that would not be enough for a truck.

Here are some pics that show the difference between my drive way pavers (thicker) that require 1/4" spacing and Lowe's sidewalk pavers (thinner) that have side protrusions and the a beveled top that require no spacing.

The last picture is the front porch with the 1/4" spacing driveway pavers filled with polymer sand that has solidified.

Attachments

• comp1.jpg
    comp1.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 481
  • comp2.jpg
    comp2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 288
  • comp3.jpg
    comp3.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 292
  • comp4.jpg
    comp4.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 338
   / Circular paver driveway #35  
Kyle, The dog did not behave. I had to put up a temporary fence after each pour. On the last pour she jumped the fence, after I had gone in for the night, and it has about 20 permanent dog paws indentions.

She just wanted to leave her mark "In Stone" for all that snake protecting she's been doing.:laughing:

/ Circular paver driveway #36  
I see the paver difference now, Don. Still not quite sure why the ones you're using couldn't be jammed tight against each - Would the corners break? Sand wouldn't fill in between them?

Anyway, we also did a big concrete job with bags: 11 pallets worth! (from Home Depot)

My dad wanted to pour a driveway extension, & there was no way for a concrete truck to access it without driving on & probably breaking the existing concrete drive ... & he didn't want to hire a concrete pumper, I guess since we're DIY kinda guys ... so we used my electric mixer. We strapped the mixer to my dad's FEL. Mix 3 bags at a time, then drive the tractor to the dump spot & un-curl the loader to dump it. Took many, many trips of that, but worked fine.

/ Circular paver driveway #37  
Here are some pics that show the difference between my drive way pavers (thicker) that require 1/4" spacing and Lowe's sidewalk pavers (thinner) that have side protrusions and the a beveled top that require no spacing.

Uneducated comment, It appears that one is cement and one is clay?

/ Circular paver driveway #38  
I will try to lay 1000 pavers a week and hopefully be done in 10 weeks. This makes my wife laugh considering I'm already 18 months into this project.:D
pavers are much more common here in Holland, we tend to lay 100m2 of pavers per man, per day. Just farmers doing their own pavement... ;)
In your circular driveway, i would just begin on the outside radius and lay on the inside of each previous pass, putting in halves or 3/4 where necessary to remain the overlap between the rows. When laying circular as well, laying 15.000 pavers of guess 10x20cm (4x8") is no more than 30 man-days.... so with 2 people laying and 3 on the wheelbarrow to tip them as closely to the worksite as possible (so the men laying never have to get off their hands and feet unless for coffee break) we'd do it with family and friends (which have to milk cows or feed cattle in the morning and evening, so short days) in 6 workdays.

You do get sore, but rather being sore and getting things done with a bunch of friends and family whilst having a beer at the end of each workday, than spending 10 weeks on the same boring job, alone... ;)

Last edited:
In your circular driveway, i would just begin on the outside radius and lay on the inside of each previous pass, putting in halves or 3/4 where necessary to remain the overlap between the rows.

Renze, I was just thinking trying to think of the best place to start and will be using your method.

GT2, I believe that is a correct observation! The Driveway (Acme) pavers are clay based.

Beepington - That is exactly right, the edges would break, or cause a tripping hazard if not perfectly aligned and there would be no space for sand when they fit that tight. The 1/4" sand space becomes the bevel.

Kyle, you got that right! She hates snakes, just like Eddie.

Attachments

• whipprotecting.jpg
    whipprotecting.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 439
   / Circular paver driveway #40  
Don, I see you have rebar in your curb. Do you have some verticals in the pour every once in a while that go down into your sandy ground or are you
depending on the weight of the concrete to control lateral shifting and or frost heave?
A vehicle's weight operating in that tight curve will create a lot of force toward the outside. Your doing a great job and the design goes very well with your house.
Ron