Circular paver driveway

/ Circular paver driveway #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
Today I go live on the building of a circular paver driveway in the front yard. The last 18 months I have made the curbings and brought in the gravel.

The pavers are acme brick pavers and are heavier and thicker than the pavers at the box stores.

I have done 2 practice porches using a basket weave design and I think I'm ready to start laying On hand I have 10,000 pavers.

I think I will just lay the pavers straight staggered on the drive, I'll see what it looks like after the fist few feet.

I have put in cross curbing to divide the drive into 1500 paver sections.

To tie the pavers together I will be using polymer sand.

I will try to lay 1000 pavers a week and hopefully be done in 10 weeks. This makes my wife laugh considering I'm already 18 months into this project.:D

Attachments

• drive1.jpg
    drive1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,289
   / Circular paver driveway
Here are a few pictures of the installation of the curbing.
(the snow is from last year)

Attachments

• drivea.jpg
    drivea.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 851
  • driveb.jpg
    driveb.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 910
  • drivec.jpg
    drivec.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 722
  • drived.jpg
    drived.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 799
I have one more day of leveling and tamping the first section.

I got this little gem from craig's list.

Attachments

• drive2.jpg
    drive2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 917
   / Circular paver driveway #4  
Don,

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that if you have not used the driveway in 18 months, maybe you don't need one at all! :D

Seriously, that looks like an awesome project and it will be beautiful when done.

Are you putting in any kind of weed barrier?

Thanks & Happy 2012!
David

Oh, I have been using the drive! I has been the circular gravel driveway.

I have not used a weed barrier on the porches and the polymer sand seams to seal them out. Would the weed barrier go in after the gravel but before the sand?

/ Circular paver driveway #6  
I like the white look the best. You should just leave it like that!!!!

Eddie

/ Circular paver driveway #8  
I have not used a weed barrier on the porches and the polymer sand seams to seal them out. Would the weed barrier go in after the gravel but before the sand?

Don,

I have had mixed results and tried various methods.

My 2 cents is that when I allow sand atop the weed barrier, I get weeds in the sand above the weed barrier! And recently I re-did the walkway at one of my rentals and I put the weed barrier DIRECTLY under the white decorative rocks and it seems slightly better, but at the edges and anywhere "dirt" develops on top of the weed barrier I get WEEDS!

I was hoping you had the answers and I would just copy you! :thumbsup:

Thanks,
David

I like the white look the best. You should just leave it like that!!!!

Eddie

That thought did cross my mind, and it will continue to cross my mind I'm sure during the next 10-12 weeks. :D

/ Circular paver driveway #10  
If I understand right, they're suggesting you use white gravel instead of colored pavers? I myself would prefer both the color & more stable surface you'll have with pavers. But of course that's my :2cents:

I helped install my sister's patio out of pavers. Fill the area with more sand than needed, compact it, re-fill with sand if any areas are too low after compaction, re-compact, then screed the sand off until you have a flat, hard, compacted surface of sand ... then lay down the pavers. But you prob already knew all that.

Laying something in place like that sorta rubbed me the wrong way, but it really turned out nice. Good looking & very secure.