Any one made their own flutter cap for the top of the exhaust stack?

/ Any one made their own flutter cap for the top of the exhaust stack? #1  

Sutol

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1200 / Super Dexta x 2
Need to make a flutter cap for the tractor exhaust. I believe you lot call it a clatter or something.

Made one a few years ago for my truck but wasn't as pretty as I'd like so any tips would be most welcome and no I aint going to buy one:D

/ Any one made their own flutter cap for the top of the exhaust stack? #2  
Can't help if you value your time that little. IMHO it just isn't worth investing the time it would take.

/ Any one made their own flutter cap for the top of the exhaust stack? #3  
How about purchasing a tail pipe extension that has a slight curve at the top. These have a clamp arrangement for adding them on . The flutter cap has gone the way of the dodo bird. I have seen large diesels at very low idle and the cap is banging up and down.

Craig Clayton

/ Any one made their own flutter cap for the top of the exhaust stack? #4  
I've bought two from Tractor Supply and neither of them lasted a summer. They where also very annoying.

Now I just put a coffee can over the pipe when it's going to be sitting or a storm is on the way.

Eddie

/ Any one made their own flutter cap for the top of the exhaust stack? #5  
Can't help if you value your time that little. IMHO it just isn't worth investing the time it would take.

Hunh? Half hr tops...longer than I played on this computer this AM. I would use a sheet of thin SS, draw your shape, cut it out with a dremel or grinder, bend down some tabs for attachment to the existing pipe, drill a couple of holes & install.

/ Any one made their own flutter cap for the top of the exhaust stack? #6  
Hunh? Half hr tops...longer than I played on this computer this AM. I would use a sheet of thin SS, draw your shape, cut it out with a dremel or grinder, bend down some tabs for attachment to the existing pipe, drill a couple of holes & install.

sometime it is just about what you want, dam the time...:thumbsup:

/ Any one made their own flutter cap for the top of the exhaust stack?

Good man, you make it sound so easy.

It isn't the time taken to make the thing it's the sense of achievement you get from admiring the finished product and the fact that you can honestly say, " I made that ":)

I'll have a go with some stainless, need to get a good design before I start cutting out though.

I made one for my old truck below and it worked fine, it was very thin and had no balance weight on it. It relied on the exhaust pressure to open it and shut with a satisfying click when the engine was shut off:)

parts001.jpg

/ Any one made their own flutter cap for the top of the exhaust stack? #8  
I know this is an old thread but on my stuff that will be sitting out I use a small can that will fit over the top of the stack with a little slack. I then paint it the right color (orange for my Kubota) to seal it and then I epoxy a good size magnet(1"x2") in it. I have driven down the highway with the tractor on a trailer and it stayed there just fine. It also has enough slack that i can even run it with it on. Of course it now blows smoke down into my face which reminds me to take the thing off. The magnet also holds it between the seat and fender when I store it and it doesn't go anywhere.

/ Any one made their own flutter cap for the top of the exhaust stack? #9  
have to say that I bought one from T%SC and had no problems with it. Over 10 years now.