Frost, and heaving of post frame buildings

/ Frost, and heaving of post frame buildings #1  

BMod

Bronze Member
Tractor
Long 610DT, White Fieldboss 37, Ferguson T-35, Super M, Minneapolis Moline Z
I have a 60'x135' post frame building in Central Wisconsin. I am in clay country, and frost goes deep here. The posts were put in about 4' 6" down, with a concrete doughnut placed below. I dug up around the building and put 4" of Styrofoam down, 1' wide below the bottom board thinking the frost was pushing up the bottom board, that did not work. Actually the styrofoam is about 2" below the board, with a piece of plastic nailed to both sides of the board to keep out the granite. So if the ground heaved it would cut into the styrofoam for 2" then go up.
So I think the frost is actually push or grabbing the posts and pushing the building up, but only on the North wall, or at least the north wall is the worst. Some posts move much more than others.
Do any of you have this problem? What can I do to fix the issue? The building contractor will not help, they claim it is my site and that they do not employ a soil tester, so I am out of luck, even though they have built many buildings in this area.
Right now I dig up the posts every other year, and remove the dirt from between the post and the concrete doughnut, and pound the post back down to close the the original height, but this is getting old fast.
Any help would be great. Thanks in advance........

/ Frost, and heaving of post frame buildings #2  
I built my pole barn 32' x 60' all by myself. I did the 4'6" thing also. I have a slight movement of one post between the bay doors. This is on the EAST side middle of the building on the driveway side. Barn has been in 18+ years.

Slight means it only has caused the roof line to show the tiniest imperfection.

Do you have a cement floor or dirt or cement pad.?

Craig Clayton

/ Frost, and heaving of post frame buildings #3  
This will be the first winter with our new pole building. I'm a little nervous about the possibility of frost heaving. How much of a lift are you getting?

/ Frost, and heaving of post frame buildings
I have a 30x30 cement slab (shop) in the front corner, the rest of the shed is granite. My posts move around February time, my steel buckles. When it does I can stick my hand in between the sheets of steel in some spots, where it is bad. I have a few nail holes that are ripped over an inch long. I have two colors of steel on the walls (like wains coating), about 40" high of one color, then a trim piece, and then the other color, up to the 12' wall height, that trim piece the separates the two colors of tin is all bent up also.
It is weird as one post will move much more than the other. I have been thinking of digging up the post, drilling a hole in the post near the bottom, and then digging the hole deaper and pouring concrete about a 6' deap, kinda like pouring a foundation, like a parking lot light pole has but leaving it about 3' 6" below grade. Only problem with this idea is, if the pole moves, I will not be able to get it back down easily.
Other thought is to try putting 4" of foam around the poles, and greasing the poles first. Thinking here is frost will not be able to "grab" the poles then.
I have thought about heat tape also, but I don't like that idea........

I bet I get around 2" of lift each winter, but the posts go back down some in the spring......

/ Frost, and heaving of post frame buildings #6  
Curious, have any of you dug down to see exactly how far down the frost is going?

I know with my barn, the posts are concreted in place. Poles are at 4' (deeper then Missouri frost), I have zero frost heave.

No way to dig, when the ground is frozen, I leave snow around the building, and this last winter, and this winter I put down blankets crews use to slow down frost, or keep fresh concrete warm, last year it did not seam to help at all.....

/ Frost, and heaving of post frame buildings #8  
OK
You mentioned a few key words.

If you dug up each post one at a time and cut the post off at ground level and poured a concrete sono tube type down far enough with an elephant foot at the bottom. Then attach the 6x6 wood to a sill plate bracket.
Friends put up a large shed like this, and they have a building moving business. They build everthing BIG.
When I (spruced up ) my deck, building code take. I tore out 20 cement columns that were down 36" and I went down 6' 6" on the 4 new columns.
There has been no movement in 4 winters.
I poured a cement plug for my TV tower 36" round 4' plus deep. It has a 40' tower mounted on it and I have the parts to raise it to 56' this summer.

I will be over next Saturday to help ( wait let me check my calendar ,Sorry too busy ).

Craig Clayton

Not sure I want to cut any post. I was thinking the sonna tube type thing but making it go from about 6' deep up to 3' deep, keeping it about 3' below grade and roughly 2' or so in diameter. The post would be in the middle, with a rod through it to bond the post to the concrete....

I am not ready for help yet as the ground is froze here, but in a few months, I will take you up on that, lol...........

/ Frost, and heaving of post frame buildings #10  
I know it is your building and all the experts will run away when things go wrong.
I work with a friend who wanted to build a glass roofed awning over his back deck.The glass roof was to be 7' out by 16' long on a 2 //12 pitch .
He has a chemistry degree which made it worse because he knew he was smarter than the average bear.
It took me 6 months of planning at many lunchs sitting on the computer all having fun to design 2 holes to support his awning.

He wanted easy
PT 4x4 = no
PT 6x6 with cement around = no
steel 3x3 thinwall cement around = no

So this went on for weeks, we even had some in the shop say they would come over and dig the job to shut us up.

So for everyone of his quickies I said PROVE IT with pictures and building code practices.

I FINALLY WON, poured sono tube cement deeper 3 pieces of rebar, footer ,4 1/2" bolts at 6" above ground level to a plate with 4"x4" steel tube by 12' tall.

I LOST ON the top plate he wanted to notch the tubing to hold the double 2" x 10" beam.
When he cut the tubing notchs the tube tops went BANANA because tubes are rolled and welded.

I consulted on half of his kitchen remodel that was contracted.
I consulted on the driveway interlocking that was contracted.

We are now debating motion sencing lights.

The biggest fun that comes up is that he says ( Ok you know the light at the front door), and I answer NO I have NEVER been to your house except on paper every lunch hour.

He failed the Emission Test P0300 ( random cross fire ) and curb idle high CO. I am changing his plugs on paper, egr , cat ,code reader.

It keeps me out of trouble at lunch time.

Do you serve LUNCH?

Craig Clayton