longest burn times in wood stove

/ longest burn times in wood stove #1  

Michelle K linnane

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4103
Hi Guys
Was curious about something. Got a job that I have to travel and started this past week. I left my house at 5:00am on Thursday had been burning my wood stove all night and the wind howled Wednesday night bad when I went outside it is was 13 degrees but the wind had died down.

Before I left had a good bed of coals in stove thru in 2 small round sticks of wood and left. Did not get home from work until Friday night at about 9:00pm.
I had left the heat on at 55 degrees in the house. The temp on Friday high had been about 23 degrees at home. I figured now is a good time to clean all the ashes out as the stove is cold. Well to my surprise some of the coals where still red small pieces but when I threw it on the ground it glowed red in the dark and restarted the stove. So basically that stove still had coals in it 38 hours later. I was impressed it is pacific energy stove Alderlea T5 Classic.

This morning I trying frying some sausage on cook part with iron frying pan was great.

But my post is how long has your stove burn???????

/ longest burn times in wood stove #2  
Depends on the kind of wood burning also stove pipe damper setting...rock maple coals almost couple days,stirs coals add wood good to go.

/ longest burn times in wood stove #3  
My Jensen wood furnace will still have hot coals after a couple days :thumbsup::D:confused2:

/ longest burn times in wood stove #4  
Coals is not really a long burn. I can easy get coals after 24 hours with blower on and air set to normal place with my HIgh valley Cat stove.

The blaze King, King boats true 40 hour burn times. Which means real heat for that period, not glowing coals. Folks at Hearth.com confirm this, now this is also a Cat stove with a huge 4.5cuft firebox that says it holds 80-100lbs of wood. But that is also on the lowest heat setting on the auto tstat.

/ longest burn times in wood stove #5  
I don't really consider warm or hot coals as "burn time". Sure, hot coals allow you to restart a fire without using a match but they really aren't putting out heat to heat the home.

I have a small Englanger NC-13, 1.7 cubic foot firebox. To keep the stove hummin along, I have to reload every 3-4 hours. When packed full I can restart a fire on coals 10-12 hours later. With everything closed up, coals easily stay hot/warm for a day or two.

I cooked a deer roast on top of it the other day in a cast iron dutch oven. Turned out excellent.

/ longest burn times in wood stove #6  
If coals are insulated in the ashes, they will last quite a long time. That's why it's so critical to be careful in how you disposes of "cold" ashes.

Ken

/ longest burn times in wood stove #7  
If coals are insulated in the ashes, they will last quite a long time. That's why it's so critical to be careful in how you disposes of "cold" ashes.

Ken

Like the Connecticut Christmas eve fire. They swept the ash from the eve fire and dumped it in a trash can on the porch, I guess so the would have a pristine fireplace for Christmas morning. 5 people died including 3 children.

Madonna Badger: Fire Caused by Discarded Hot Embers - International Business Times

/ longest burn times in wood stove #8  
My neighbor decided to clean his woodstove with his shop vac several days after his last burn. When the vac started blowing smoke he hauled it outside and found the filter was mostly gone.:shocked:

I always put the ashes in a metal pail and dump them in the burn pit. It's amazing how long an ember can last insulated in ash.

/ longest burn times in wood stove #9  
I have a pacific energy summit and it does a nice job of heating for about 12 hours before it needs a reload.