Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4103

Default longest burn times in wood stove

Hi Guys
    Was curious about something. Got a job that I have to travel and started this past week. I left my house at 5:00am on Thursday had been burning my wood stove all night and the wind howled Wednesday night bad when I went outside it is was 13 degrees but the wind had died down.

Before I left had a good bed of coals in stove thru in 2 small round sticks of wood and left. Did not get home from work until Friday night at about 9:00pm.
    I had left the heat on at 55 degrees in the house. The temp on Friday high had been about 23 degrees at home. I figured now is a good time to clean all the ashes out as the stove is cold. Well to my surprise some of the coals where still red small pieces but when I threw it on the ground it glowed red in the dark and restarted the stove. So basically that stove still had coals in it 38 hours later. I was impressed it is pacific energy stove Alderlea T5 Classic.

This morning I trying frying some sausage on cook part with iron frying pan was great.

But my post is how long has your stove burn???????

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Default Re: longest burn times in wood stove

Depends on the kind of wood burning also stove pipe damper setting...rock maple coals almost couple days,stirs coals add wood good to go.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3215 gear

My Jensen wood furnace will still have hot coals after a couple days

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Coals is not really a long burn. I can easy get coals after 24 hours with blower on and air set to normal place with my HIgh valley Cat stove.

The blaze King, King boats true 40 hour burn times. Which means real heat for that period, not glowing coals. Folks at Hearth.com confirm this, now this is also a Cat stove with a huge 4.5cuft firebox that says it holds 80-100lbs of wood. But that is also on the lowest heat setting on the auto tstat.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Kubota, L4400, BX1870

I don't really consider warm or hot coals as "burn time". Sure, hot coals allow you to restart a fire without using a match but they really aren't putting out heat to heat the home.

I have a small Englanger NC-13, 1.7 cubic foot firebox. To keep the stove hummin along, I have to reload every 3-4 hours. When packed full I can restart a fire on coals 10-12 hours later. With everything closed up, coals easily stay hot/warm for a day or two.

I cooked a deer roast on top of it the other day in a cast iron dutch oven. Turned out excellent.
    Kubota L4400 - Land pride rear scraper blade, 6 foot landscape rake, 72'' Frontier Box Blade, Land Pride 60'' finish mower, Land Pride Q/A pallet forks, County Line Carryall built to haul and loaded R-1's
    Kubota RTV500
    Kubota BX1870

Previous Tractors: 1978 B7100, 2009 B3200

Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

If coals are insulated in the ashes, they will last quite a long time. That's why it's so critical to be careful in how you disposes of "cold" ashes.

Ken

Tractor
    JD 2520

Quote Originally Posted by Ken45101 View Post
    If coals are insulated in the ashes, they will last quite a long time. That's why it's so critical to be careful in how you disposes of "cold" ashes.

Ken
    Like the Connecticut Christmas eve fire. They swept the ash from the eve fire and dumped it in a trash can on the porch, I guess so the would have a pristine fireplace for Christmas morning. 5 people died including 3 children.

Madonna Badger: Fire Caused by Discarded Hot Embers - International Business Times
    JD 2520 with 200CX, 46BH, BB1060 box blade and 54 front blade, Artillian forks, IMD 10K generator, Wallenstein BX42r
    Bob Cat FastCat Pro 48

Tractor
    TC33D

My neighbor decided to clean his woodstove with his shop vac several days after his last burn. When the vac started blowing smoke he hauled it outside and found the filter was mostly gone.

I always put the ashes in a metal pail and dump them in the burn pit. It's amazing how long an ember can last insulated in ash.
    Make welfare as hard to get as a building permit

Gold Member

I have a pacific energy summit and it does a nice job of heating for about 12 hours before it needs a reload.
    JD 4210 Hydro, Curtis Cab, 420 Loader, 447 Backhoe, 5' Frontier Rotary Cutter, Maschio 50" Tiller, JD 60" 261 RFM, 59" Snowblower

JD 455, 60" Mowing Deck, Triple Bag Rear Mounted MCS, 47" Snowblower, Original Tractor Cab

Tractor
    JD 4200

My old Fisher Grandma Bear will burn 10 - 12 hours.
    2001 JD 4200, 420 loader, HF Quick Hitch, bucket boom, back blade, boom pole, forks, carry-all, moldboard plow, middle buster, receiver hitch, post hole digger.

My Pics
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/s...0/ppuser/33421

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast