Block Wall Circle Question

/ Block Wall Circle Question #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
We have a block retaining wall (8"x8"x16" block) and we'd like to take the end of it and make a small circle to use as a planter. What is the smallest diameter circle that can be built with 8"x8"x16" block?

/ Block Wall Circle Question #2  
I think the question you're asking is how few sides can a polygon made out of 8" blocks have so the exposed mortar joint is acceptably small, probably around 1/2" wide. And then you'll want to know what is the dimension across the flats of that polygon, which is approximately the diameter of a polygon that approximates a circle.

If that's what you want to know, without doing the geometry, my guess is it's on the order of 10' across the flats. If you could use 4" block instead, that size would be a good bit smaller. Or if you could make it out of those angled landscape blocks it could be a lot smaller.

/ Block Wall Circle Question #3  
We have a block retaining wall (8"x8"x16" block) and we'd like to take the end of it and make a small circle to use as a planter. What is the smallest diameter circle that can be built with 8"x8"x16" block?

You could cut the blocks in half and at an angle to tighten the circle with tight joints:)

/ Block Wall Circle Question #4  
Could you post a pic of the block retaining wall, as some members might have some different thoughts.

Craig Clayton

/ Block Wall Circle Question
Its dark now and this is the best pic I have, but I'll try to take one when I get home from work tomorrow.

I this pic on the left side of this pic at the fare end is where I want to make a circle.

Attachments

• Retaining Wall back.JPG
    Retaining Wall back.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 316
   / Block Wall Circle Question #6  
Ten 16" blocks will give an inside diameter of just over 48". Whether laying with mortar or dry stacking you'll have very large joints on the outside (i.e.4"), so if you cut 1" off each end of each block on the inside diameter you'd still have 2" joints on the outside with a slight reduction in diameter. You need blocks with ears (strechers) rather than square ended (jamb) blocks for this. You can go smaller understanding that the fewer blocks the less "round" it will be. MikeD74T

Last edited:
Ten 16" blocks will give an inside diameter of just over 48". Whether laying with mortar or dry stacking you'll have very large joints on the outside (i.e.4"), so if you cut 1" off each end of each block on the inside diameter you'd still have 2" joints on the outside with a slight reduction in diameter. You need blocks with ears (strechers) rather than square ended (jamb) blocks for this. You can go smaller understanding that the fewer blocks the less "round" it will be. MikeD74T

Thanks Mike.

I'll take a pic and hopefully that and a bit of hick english will make it clear. :laughing:

Basically I want to take the far end of that wall (left side of pic) and turn it counter clockwise and end up with a planter at that end. I am willing (kinda want to) shorten the wall some too length wise.

Here is a pic I found that kinda shows the end in question. The wall at its tallest is 6 blocks above the ground level and steps down to 3 high at the end in question.

Attachments

• Retaining Wall Idea.jpg
    Retaining Wall Idea.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
   / Block Wall Circle Question #8  

I've seen these used on some jobs before, if you mix and match, I believe you could get close without the wide mortar joints. one is 22 deg other 45

Just a thought

Attachments

• 22degpicture.jpg
    22degpicture.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 45degblock.jpg
    45degblock.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 109
   / Block Wall Circle Question #9  
There are also half blocks that can be used.:

Check with the local concrete block supplies. They may be able to help you out.

Or consider using a catch basin section in a length that you like.

Here are the pics.

Right before the 2nd step down is where I'd like to curve it back.

Attachments

• IMAG0525.jpg
    IMAG0525.jpg
    973 KB · Views: 151
  • IMAG0526.jpg
    IMAG0526.jpg
    876 KB · Views: 138
  • IMAG0527.jpg
    IMAG0527.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMAG0528.jpg
    IMAG0528.jpg